• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

R Factory 116710BLNR

beefstockcube

Known Member
4/1/17
Well, folks.

Dropped $13600 on a brand new BLNR today. My first genuine and new Rolex ever.

I've got the rep on order with Legend to be serviced and waterproofed prior to me getting it but so far I've got to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. I was offered it at retail and said sure, knowing I can recoup the funds plus 50-100% as soon as required.

I don't have the same model to compare it to but honestly next to my anything in my rep box first impressions are not 13k different, not $1300 to be really honest.

Obviously, longevity should come into this and should I keep it I can pass it to the kids kids where I expect the rep to last years not generations but I am surprised. I honestly thought there would have been more of a difference.

Just a bit shocked.

Kudos to the rep machines, they are turning out some fine work.

Last edited:

Timewellspent

Renowned Member
2/4/13
USA / Florida
Share what reps you are talking about?

Also gen and reps it all comes to the details the small stuff and I think you’ll start to notice more and more has gen is on your wrist

Reactions: LuminorReptar

beefstockcube

Known Member
4/1/17
Grimlocktime - Franken Rolex Explorer II Black Dial 216570 Gen Dial Noob CHS was the Rolex comparison. BP Fifty Fathoms, Ceramic Pam, NOOB VAC modded AP diver etc

I'm sure you are right that over time and with closer inspection, it will change, I just noticed the welding on the inside of the clasp on the Explorer is shocking. Owned it for years and never noticed..

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Not sure what you were expecting, there is no magic with a genuine Rolex, just a well built good quality watch, that is really all they are, the rest is simply genius marketing. There’s no huge difference between a Rolex and a really good rep (VSF for example) so its not really surprising you are under whelmed. Attention to detail is better but not ££££££ better.

Let’s see some pics of the new beauty!

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
modernclassic is right. That's why I have always liked older GMTs for those going gen. So far nobody has made a 1675, 16700, or 16710 case that isn't visible as a rep from wrist distance. It's not a better watch, and it could be repped just as easily as the ceramic models, but it's fun to wear one that doesn't really even exist as a rep.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Well, folks.

I've got the rep on order with Legend to be serviced and waterproofed prior to me getting it but so far I've got to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. I was offered it at retail and said sure, knowing I can recoup the funds plus 50-100% as soon as required.

I don't have the same model to compare it to but honestly next to my anything in my rep box first impressions are not 13k different, not $1300 to be really honest.

Obviously, longevity should come into this and should I keep it I can pass it to the kids kids where I expect the rep to last years not generations but I am surprised. I honestly thought there would have been more of a difference.

Just a bit shocked.

Agree with you 100%. I have a gen batgirl and new 41mm green sub.

Compared to my high end reps, they are not day and night.

Reps give you a lot of value for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Gotta agree with you guys, except for the obvious difference in materials, (WG vs Steel), I can’t feel any particular difference worth 21.4K euros.

ZQROPc.jpg

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Well, folks.

Just a bit shocked.

Agree with you 100%. I have a gen batgirl and new 41mm green sub.

Compared to my high end reps, they are not day and night.

Reps give you a lot of value for the money.

beefstockcube

Known Member
4/1/17
Gens are Good if you like the feeling of walking around with £20k strapped to your wrist in the middle of a pandemic. Big man.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Australia is pretty much through. We had 1 case in Western Australia and the state went into lockdown for 5 days.

One case in Victoria but it was a quarantine worker so already isolated.

Zero change to my day to day life, need to wear a mask on planes and that’s it.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

kevBquick

9/10/18
Well, folks.

Just a bit shocked.

yeah if this was 10yrs ago....then you would say something different. but nowadays....honestly, i'll keep the extra 10k in my pocket or more. i used to be able to justify this hobby....now i only justify it via reps. when you compare the rep vs the actually...reps are doing great. we are only being it because it says rolex; rep or otherwise. when a company invest 250+M a year into marketing. there is something behind their genius marketing. after 6 gens and down to 2 rolex gens and my original breitling first purchase watch. i can't justify dropping the money any more in todays world. sure maybe a bezel insert color is off vs the gen or what have you...but its still on its own merit a nice watch. serviced and fixed up....they do great for less than 10% of the cost. now my money goes towards things that make sense.

Last edited:

CJS57

7/9/20
Agree with all the statements above. But the gen Rolex is a nice place to park some extra money. The investment seems secure and you can get out easily. Plus it feels good to wear a gen to certain events when they start happening again. But like many or most my 2 gens stay in the safe and I wear the reps day in day out with pride and happiness. I enjoy watching the factories produce such incredible timepieces at such low prices. My hat is off to them. Now if I could just find somewhere to service my rep OP locally .

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
First off, congrats on the purchase. You have it now, and it cost you a pretty penny, so enjoy it. As you said, at a minimum, you have something that is an investment can can be passed on...

Some reps are so good now that the matrials and workmanship may not be obvious enough to justify the $$$ of a gen, but it's there in the making and materials they use. And, yes, there's the ROLEX name.

For me, it's such a pain in the arse (almost impossible) to get reps serviced or repaired in AUS if the movements shit themselves, so I just buy another rep. And considering the cost of a good rep (e.g., a VSF Sub with clone movement or $650AUD, or RXF with A2824 for under $500) versus the expense of a genuine service ($1000+ AUD), I can buy 25-30 great reps for the price of one gen, and I'll have a very decent spare parts cache.

It's getting harder and harder for me to justify the cost of a gen. When I have one on my wrist, I know it's the real deal and it's a pretty big achievement, which I feel good about. But considering I have to really look to tell my recent rep Subs from the gens, it almost feels the same.

If I had the time to learn, I'd emulate Johnny Depp and build some awesome Frankens for 30-50 per cent of the cost of a gen. That dude builds amazing pieces.

Take some pics of your new prize possession and immortalise it here. :cool:

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Gens are Good if you like the feeling of walking around with £20k strapped to your wrist in the middle of a pandemic. Big man.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

How many do you have?

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Have to agree these reps are something else. Depending on the rep it’s very hard to tell and not nearly worth spending the extra thousands for the perfect gen . That being said, there is a feeling wearing the gen, if it’s a grail. Knowing the genuine movement is inside, that it will only increase in value no matter what you can pass it on is really special. Besides that I think it’s far more fun blowing through reps and frankening.

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Really interesting take on it. And I appreciate your honesty about it beefstockcube . I've got some gens and some reps. My reps get more wrist time than my gens, and I've thought about selling them for that reason. But, alas I am lazy... but still not too lazy to buy M2M or from my TD. Ha!

These reps are amazing, I find the whole rep game fascinating. And then the modding/ frankening is next level too.

Anyway wear it in good health and enjoy it for what it is. As you said you could move it and make money, def not lose. So all is good there.

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Congrats to OP on the gen BLNR at retail!

I tried my best to get one, but after 2+ years on a wait list I decided to just go for a fully built out Franken..

I agree with most of the sentiment here; you get a lot of value out of the quality of the reps being made today. I recently picked up the VSF & ZF Hulk and did a comparison with my friends genuine.. On close inspection, the differences are incredibly subtle, and certainly don't justify the $15,000 price difference (if we're speculating grey market). Adding some pics below if anyone wants to take a look!

That said, I will still always see some value in parking extra funds in a proper gen. Reps will always be depreciating assets. Gens may not see appreciation but the right ones will certainly hold value. I could still justify spending the money on certain gens, especially if it is something that just can't be repped - ie) precious metals such as yellow gold, or Everrose, or any complications that can't be replicated yet..

Neither reps nor gens are "necessities" , at the end of the day... they're just shiny wrist toys that bring us enjoyment.