• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer I "DIY" set : the Bosshua other option

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Hello everyone,

To go on with my "DIY" itch, I just received a watch set to build from Bosshua, which offers an interesting range of models to build.

After Rafflesdials, I'll try to give a small review based on my feelings, parts and services quality on Bosshua. The idea is not to put both dealers in competition, it’s just to explore the different offers one can find over the internet, so I won’t be comparing one to the other here. Some other offers than these two can be found here and there on the internet, for anyone to try.

1. The watch set
The Explorer I watch set comes well packed, and I received it in about 3 weeks to France. The whole set cost me 135 $, which is about 115€. As shipping is included, it’s an unbeatable deal.
Bosshua is responsive and quick by email, and the overall service seems top notch, very satisfying.
The set contains :

• Case + caseback + crown. The crown stem is also included, which is a plus as I guess it’s pre-cut to the right lenght for the watch, we’ll see this when building it. The crystal is mounted already on the case.
• Bracelet + clasp.
• Dial + holder.
• Hands.
• Springbars 1.5mm thick.
• Movement clamps + screws.
• O-rings installed for sealings.

I have basically all I need, the set is complete. As I’m trying to find a good budget/reliability ratio to these DIY sets, I’m going for a Seagull ST2130 movement again here. The one I put on the Rafflesdials Oyster Perpetual works really well, so let’s ride this Seagull road again.

2. Case
I have a very good feeling about this case. The engravings are nice, the tube/crown threadings are very smooth and lock up firm and progressively. The crystal height is spot on and the overall polishing is well done.
The dimensions seem supersized though : almost 21mm between lugs and a 50mm lugs-to-lugs vs 47mm up for the gen. We'll see how this goes with dial inside and when putting the bracelet on.

3. Bracelet
The bracelet is not the reference that originally comes with the Explorer I. It’s more a GMT bi-polished brushed/mirror type, clasp is not the usual one as well. I don’t really mind as I’m curious to see how it goes on the watch in the end, but it’s not gen spec.
The clasp works very smoothly, locks up good, but show rough finishings on the system parts.

4. Dial
The dial looks nice, although the writing are a bit thick. The Rolex logo is a bit so-so too, but I think that’s not really noticeable on the wrist. The markers are a bit rounded, no sharp edges, quite ok but the lume fillings look a bit rough when you look close enough. Lume color is correct though.

5. Hands
The hands look very standard. Nothing special here, we’ll see how they behave once mounted.

Here it is for the introduction. I just passed the case to 5ATM waterproofing with good results, so the next step is the building. Stay tuned…

Last edited:

Mestizaje

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
14/8/20
Australia
This is incredible mate thanks, have always wanted to give this a go (DIY, i mean). Hadn't seen Bosshua's kits before. The quality looks pretty good i must say, and that price! Wow.

Can I ask, which website did you use? The Shopify?

Cheers.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Yes, his shopify website.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Mestizaje

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Looks like a DJ41 case and bracelet. What is the model number engraving inside the lugs?

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Looks like a DJ41 case and bracelet. What is the model number engraving inside the lugs?
I'am out o'town for a business trip right now, I'll tell you guys on in a couple of days when I'm back home.

Reactions: BlackIceBob

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
KJ2020 here are the case engravings, let us know what you think.
3bbd7fa2d9921ae9bea0d535a95bcad3.jpg
f94ed8b3fb412c3f5d8c42fe7e01d90c.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 here are the case engravings, let us know what you think.
3bbd7fa2d9921ae9bea0d535a95bcad3.jpg
f94ed8b3fb412c3f5d8c42fe7e01d90c.jpg

Interesting - the 118239 model is a 36mm Day-date, which would have a president bracelet with 20 mm lug width. Have you measured the dial diameter? The 214270 EXP I rep dials are ~ 27.5 - 28.0mm depending on factory. Your dial looks considerably larger, like more than 30mm. Still it's a great price. Nothing wrong with a Jumbo Explorer now that we have jumbo Subs, haha.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
BP bracelet I think too.
- thanks for sharing, I’d not yet seen these little kits

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Gentlemen, it seems I'll have a maxi Explorer at the wrist, big size indeed!
1be04b29b59273ad6ceadbeeff54d3f9.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020

mascob1

6/11/16
...with a "SWITZERLADN" case back engraving :D...
Fortunatly it's not visible when the watch is assembling.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
...with a "SWITZERLADN" case back engraving :D...
Fortunatly it's not visible when the watch is assembling.
Ah ah I did'nt even notice that. These watch kits are full of surprises LOL

mascob1

6/11/16
Ah ah I did'nt even notice that. These watch kits are full of surprises LOL

Ah'ah, its an common mistake on chinese casebacks...
A good friend of us," the great mano" had this kind of "joke" on some of his casebacks...

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Take it on the funny side of reps, at least inner caseback does not show. I've been out of town for the last days but I'll mount the parts this week end, we'll see how it ends up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ex-ki