• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question on gen spec brushing

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Hey all, wondering your thoughts on when reps get “gen spec polishing”:

For example What I’ve read on the forums, with the mirror polished sides, they are done in a very quick way from rep factories but R factory has a more labor/time intensive way that limits distorted reflection. Basically there is a difference and it stems from the method and machines used and the expertise and experience of the watchmakers.

I always enjoy the crispness of a brand new watch, rep or gen as there is no spillover where the mirror and brushed parts are where they are supposed to be and it looks amazing.

So just wondering when you get the rep gen spec brushing do you end up receiving a case/bracelet that looks most like 1) a brand new gen or 2) a gen that has lost some of its original shape due to having material taken off from the polishing, ie. has been sent to RSC many times, or 3) (which is most probably me answering my own question and knowing the community is full of skilled horological) a gen that you might not be able to tell it’s been polished because it has been done so well.

I guess I really would like to see testimonials of great gen spec brushing services performed, before and after pics, etc of reps cases and bracelets transformed into gen through brushing/polishing
Anyone have any? Thanks!!!

Reactions: scottiedog

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Subbed. Interesting topic imo. I wonder if brushing as gen helps to take any of the sharpness from the bracelet edges?

I guess visually the difference in hand is more noticeable but comparison pictures would be fantastic.

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
'Gen spec' brushing does not exist.

Gen spec refers to 'genuine specifications', so unless you have access to those specifications, and you use the same equipment and techniques as the manufacturer your brushing and polishing will never be 'gen' spec' .
It's an invention of unscrupulous members of forums who would have you believe that by re-brushing and polishing your watch they are taking it one step closer to be 'A Gen'.

Case finish on Chinese reps is poor, aside from sharp edges etc, the general finish is inferior - especially on Rolex reps, it's one of the biggest tells'

Get the case re-brushed and polished by all means, but don't fall for the 'gen' spec' nonsense.

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
[mention]tripdog [/mention] thank you!!

Soo who does it in CONUS????