• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DHGate Mini Review: Rolex Yacht Master #116622 (Grey dial)

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
TL:DR - 8.0 Rating. A head turner. Simple and nuanced but with some bling that makes this watch get noticed. As it should!

Price: $59.99

Delivery Time: 24 days
ZKCds8.jpg

https://www.dhgate.com/product/whole...495666000.html

My fifth Rep watch was a spontaneous purchase without too much thought. I am not much of a diver watch guy, but stumbled across an article on the Rolex Yacht Master and that got the ball rolling. I had started with the blue dial and was about to close on it, but had second thoughts about “another” blue dial…I still think it’s a better looking watch than the grey dial, but after a few days, that gap may be closing.

As is so often the case, this watch is much brighter and flashier in person than I expected. It has a very good shimmer throughout the dial, bezel and case. It is not a subtle watch. In fact, it’s as close to a dress watch as a stainless steel watch can be. Very classy. Very well done. Rolex knows this space and simply dominates with practical approaches blended with luxury finishes…So says Captain Obvious.

Functionally, the bezel has a reasonably smooth rotation, with fairly substantial “clicks”. I’d say it is slightly better than I expected for an inexpensive bezel but (likely) not quite on par with higher cost Reps. The crown and winding mechanism is solid, date and time adjustments are fairly precise and accuracy has been spot on so far. That said, the lume is very light on the dial…its faded blue color is consistent with other DHGate levels of lume, which can be fairly summarized as “poor”.

As for the bracelet it is extremely well finished with satin outer links and highly polished center links. It is a bit lighter feeling than my other watches but perhaps a bit more comfortable as it wears slightly lighter. The clasp is an Oyster Lock, but is incredibly tight when engaged. In fact, it is much too tight and I need to make a small adjustment to it before I find a way to tear a fingernail right off…!

The standout feature on this watch is the grey dial which is complemented very well by the red seconds hand. The grey dial, combined with the matte bezel gives a very uniform look and works very well together as a total package that is clean, bright and high end. There are no quality issues with any of the finish…the case is well polished as is the bezel edges. Really a high quality finish to this watch and I’m quite pleased.

On to the ratings:

Fit and Finish: 7, the bracelet appearance is actually a little higher, but the clasp issue and slightly lightweight bracelet are small deductions to an otherwise well done case and dial.

Legibility: 8, a really handsome dial and remarkably classy look

Comfort: 8, feels great wears identically to other Rolexes of similar sizes.

Wearability: 8, Sharp to wear and will get noticed; looks and wears like a dress watch, which is consistent with its design goals.

Value: 9, a great addition to my small collection, particularly at this price. Would recommend without hesitation. The only question is whether or not the blue dial gets a green light or not!

Overall: 8.0
ZKCsxj.jpg
ZKCMX1.jpg
ZKC4qv.jpg
ZKCwZK.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rolexwatchfan

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Oouucchhh , that hurts in my eyes .....why make a review of a piece of junk ?

I guess so members can understand what are they will be getting for mere $60 from DHGate. Hate it or like it, you got to start somewhere.
Quote: As soon as the owner is happy with the purchase, it looks good to me.
Thanks for the write-up!

Reactions: thegolfman

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Look at a gen dial- this dial is nothing like a gen. First, the 12 o'clock triangle doesn't line up with the Rolex crown- that's a major tell. Secondly, the Crown emblem and ROLEX are in sliver- oops- not correct. And the lume markers are puffy and probably a tad small. Font on the DW 7 is off and I can't tell if the window/cyclops are in the correct Rolex position.

Reactions: Exklusive

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
Look at a gen dial- this dial is nothing like a gen. First, the 12 o'clock triangle doesn't line up with the Rolex crown- that's a major tell. Secondly, the Crown emblem and ROLEX are in sliver- oops- not correct. And the lume markers are puffy and probably a tad small. Font on the DW 7 is off and I can't tell if the window/cyclops are in the correct Rolex position.

This.....

TBH, this is one of the worst Rolex DH shitters I've seen so far. For $60 is cheap but I'm pretty sure there are better cheapies out there.

NFleischer

I'm Pretty Popular
9/12/08
Almost all the DH Gate cheapies use 21J movements. What else can you get for $60?!
I don't know what factory that is, but the general opinion is 'Best Bang for the Buck' is U1 Factory.
I got this U1 TT version for about $70. Not a super rep, but looks great for price IMO.

50017174463_d0c7882420_b_d.jpg

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Good points (although, in real life, the 12:00 triangle is well aligned). In any event, I'm happy with this watch and enjoying it. I respect others prefer more accuracy with the gen and hopefully, the TD versions come very close for their prices. It's interesting that the manufacturer is reusing the brand/logo, finished in silver, from the blue dial version, which I initially considered. I think it adds to this dial, but I can see why the men version was done in black as it contrasts better and is more legible...a good design decision, for sure.

I've been doing these DHGate reviews to clarify what a buyer gets for their purchase and hope this helps. The clarifying points made above actually help even more, so thank you for adding more context to a future purchase consideration!

Thanks again for the input and comments!

Reactions: WC800729

rek00001

24/4/13
I'd stick with U1 Factory watches, they're pretty decent. Although I've heard that shady dealers are now putting U1 tags on non U1 watches, so it's getting harder to find the real deal.

I enjoy trolling DhGate sometimes to see what I can dig up.

Thanks for review.

Reactions: thegolfman

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Thanks for your reviews Golfman. It is good to see what is out there at the low end of the market.

Your ratings are based on your opinion but that opinion is under-researched in my view.

Look at it at this way: what if if I reviewed the Chinese copy of a Rolls Royce car without really taken the real car into account? I would think getting a great deal stand-alone, but looking at the original version also? :)

75fc11208b3f687650e93ad49c42fc2e.jpg

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Definitely a fair point. I wish I could do a deeper dive on this (and other) reps vs its Gen version. I think the value in these low end watches is only positive for those interested in the real life aspects of this niche. How do they wear, feel to the touch, and other aspects of the watches' designs. There's only one way to know those things...and I'm trying to do that across as many watches as I can without a several hundred dollar acquisition cost for each. That could benefit more than a few readers, I hope.

In my case, I'm interested in trying out a number of SS sports type watches that could be passed on to friends/family or worn hard/put away wet...without any concern as to how 1:1 these versions may be. In short, I've learned a lot across my 7-8 watches and revisited my early takes on a couple. For instance, I didn't appreciate the Royal Oak deign, wearability, and overall aesthetic until I had it on for a few days. It's now my favorite Rep and the one I would keep, if I only could save one. So, what do I know...?

Love the comparison to the Bentley...very good point...the buyer of that car needs to like and enjoy it for what it is, I suppose...just like we do in the Rep hobby.

As has been the case over and over, our wiser members on this forum have pointed to the buyer's individual enjoyment of each acquired piece as all that matters. That and the simple fact that all Reps have flaws. I think that gets proven every day for some of us.

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Agreed, wear a rep for what it is as member Legend always says.

One does not to shell out hundreds of dollars every time, depending on your requirements ofc. I usually look at mid tier watches and I find BP factory a good alternative. Usually well put together and there is choice of movements, with Asian clone 2813 at the low end but it is still reliable.

BP has it faults with their rehauts and sharp edges but imo their watches are a fair deal and you also lower the risk getting called out. I love my BP explorer I. Cheers

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. I think including a side by side with the genuine watch would be beneficial: