No announcement yet.

Alternative 16610lv

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I read it correctly the Ginault have a ETA so will need a DW overlay if I put a 3135 in and gen dial? What about cyclop position?
    Last edited by Redheart; 12-10-20, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart View Post

Oh can you please tell us if it's a straight switch? I am fancying a two tone BP and put a gen dial and insert on it?
      I heard the insert will have to be shave off, but what about the DW on the BP and the cyclop position please?
      There are 3 different BP 16610 versions. They all have non gen-spec bezel, insert and crystal. The crystals have a straight edge profile at 30.5mm. The gen has a stairstep edge profile, the lower smaller diameter step where the gasket fits is 29.5mm.

DG/ETA - has date window and cyclops in the DG/ETA position.

3135 - has date window and cyclops in the Rolex position . A VR3135 is a direct swap for the SA3135.

The only way to fit a gen-spec crystal on either is to use two gaskets. You have to fill the extra gap left by the stairstep. This works OK, I've done it a few times and the extra gasket is not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

The inserts are 30.6mm / 37.5mm
      Gen is 30.6mm / ~37.65mm

Most gen-spec inserts would lose too much outer border from shaving, you would eat into the numbers. There are aftermarket inserts that fit.

Some more info and pics here. Kermit is a few pages in.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-in-bp-16613lb
      We are all related in time since time is relative to us all.
      GMT Movements Explained
      BP Rolex 16710 GMT Full Review VS Gen
      Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - possible?
      The Fantasy Watch Thread
      Noob GMT's poor bezel design
      Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

If I read it correctly the Ginault have a ETA so will need a DW overlay if I put a 3135 in and gen dial? What about cyclop position?
        Ginault comes with gen 2824. If you put a 3135 in you need a DW, which normally comes on a 3135. The VR3135 DW is good enough to not need a gen for many people. A 3135 cannot use an overlay. The Ginault 2824 overlay is quite nice. Ginault date window is in the Rolex position, so is the cyclops. A gen dial or rep 3135 dial like ARF and a 3135 movement and DW will line up properly.
        Last edited by KJ2020; 12-10-20, 05:34.
        GMT Movements Explained
        The Fantasy Watch Thread
        Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

is it still possible to order JF at present?
          WTB
          PP Nautilus white ppf v4

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

Ginault comes with gen 2824. If you put a 3135 in you need a DW, which normally comes on a 3135. The VR3135 DW is good enough to not need a gen for many people. A 3135 cannot use an overlay. The Ginault 2824 overlay is quite nice. Ginault date window is in the Rolex position, so is the cyclops. A gen dial or rep 3135 dial like ARF and a 3135 movement and DW will line up properly.
            Oh right I forgot about the nice TC overlay ^^
            So maybe the Ginault could make a nice watch with a gen dial with clipped off feet! ^^, and I would be able to use my gen insert straight in then.
            Last edited by Redheart; 12-10-20, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

There are 3 different BP 16610 versions. They all have non gen-spec bezel, insert and crystal. The crystals have a straight edge profile at 30.5mm. The gen has a stairstep edge profile, the lower smaller diameter step where the gasket fits is 29.5mm.

DG/ETA - has date window and cyclops in the DG/ETA position.

3135 - has date window and cyclops in the Rolex position . A VR3135 is a direct swap for the SA3135.

The only way to fit a gen-spec crystal on either is to use two gaskets. You have to fill the extra gap left by the stairstep. This works OK, I've done it a few times and the extra gasket is not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

The inserts are 30.6mm / 37.5mm
              Gen is 30.6mm / ~37.65mm

Most gen-spec inserts would lose too much outer border from shaving, you would eat into the numbers. There are aftermarket inserts that fit.

Some more info and pics here. Kermit is a few pages in.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-in-bp-16613lb
              Thanks for the precious info dear KJ! I always forget about the shaving needed on the insert. Thing is I have a thing for gen blue inserts and the shaving is a deal breaker. I might have to go fantasie and get the Ginault when the funds are ready :

Dial was dirt cheap, so clipping the feet is no problem. Still that's a lot of dough for a fantasy watch ^^

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jSRtFX]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jSMRkt]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jSSkAY]

Comment

Oh right I forgot about the nice TC overlay ^^
                So maybe the Ginault could make a nice watch with a gen dial with clipped off feet! ^^, and I would be able to use my gen insert straight in then.
                It would indeed bro
                GMT Movements Explained
                The Fantasy Watch Thread
                Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

In my BP I put a gen B25-295-CAR-C1 crystal in with the BP gasket just for fun while I waited for the watch I’d truly bought the crystal for to arrive. I’ve almost no knowledge of Xtal use but it looks great to me. I put a TC bluesy dial in too with its feet clipped and dial dots while I waited for the watch I truly wanted to use these pieces in to arrive. Gen champagne datewheel in too etc.. because it was the SA3135 bp version I’d bought. The stock insert on the BP is gorgeous to me.. It’s nicer looking than half of my few bluesy inserts so I was looking into how to swap the pearl only BP for gen pearl but if that’s tricky, I’d shave the gen insert (gen was a teeny bit too big to click into the bezel naturally).
                  I’d just been messing with the BP with spare parts I have in a drawer and experimenting a little. :-)

Comment

Last edited by Kerushi11; 12-10-20, 17:17.

Comment

KJ I’ve gotta ask you sometime about your mention of using two gaskets with a gen crystal in a BP and the stair-step thing. It sounds like something I should learn about. I put a gen Xtal with stock BP gasket in a BP while I was testing out my new crystal press. Would be epic to understand a little more about how proper two gaskets would be by comparison on a BP.. sounds like I needs to learns me something nice as I learn to use this thing more and more

Comment

Originally posted by Kerushi11 View Post
                        KJ I’ve gotta ask you sometime about your mention of using two gaskets with a gen crystal in a BP and the stair-step thing. It sounds like something I should learn about. I put a gen Xtal with stock BP gasket in a BP while I was testing out my new crystal press. Would be epic to understand a little more about how proper two gaskets would be by comparison on a BP.. sounds like I needs to learns me something nice as I learn to use this thing more and more
                        This worked for me with JF16610 thanks to a persistent watchmaker - passed 5ATM

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Oh cheers watchoself & kJ! I think I’ll be keen to have another look at mine in the morning and see if I can visually see for myself how one bp gasket alone could be better improved if someone wanted to keep a gen xtal long term etc. So cool. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerushi11 View Post
                            Use the original BP gasket, which is very short, about 1.2mm. Shave the gen-spec gasket down to the same height. Best way to do that is put it in a junk crystal with no cyclops and tape the top side to a die. Use the die as a handle, and sand the gasket down on a flat piece of 320 grit on a bench. Rotate often and check progress often. You will nearly touch the crystal underside with the paper by the time you get the right height. Switch to 400 grit near the end and don't use any black sandpaper, it can stain the gasket.

Set the original gasket in the case opening where it normally goes, set the gen-spec gasket on the new crystal. Press it in by hand as much as possible with the cyclops aligned, then finish with a crystal press. Make sure one gasket goes fully inside the other without any crushing or de-forming of either. If it absolutely won't go, you can lightly bevel sand the bottom edge of the inner gasket so you can overcome the top edge of the outer gasket. It's like a funnel shape and slips in easier. If that doesn't fit, lightly reduce the inner gasket diameter, you can sand it right on the crystal by swipe rolling it on the bench sandpaper.

If the fit ends up too loose you can use UV glue or clear epoxy to keep the gaskets together.

Two gaskets

Another one, this watch

Became this

Using two gaskets and a Clark's gen-spec with AR cyclops

GMT Movements Explained
                            The Fantasy Watch Thread
                            Ceramic insert paint mod

Double Nine Gonzo!

Comment

Roger wilco. Perfect brilliant instructions, even down to not messing with a darker coloured abrasive material during shaving. Thank you.
                              - I haven’t yet understood what two gaskets achieves that my piddly little one BP gasket with a gen xtal doesn’t, because that’s where I’ve no knowledge yet - to me it appears great - Is it for waterproofing, that with two it’s more proper and waterproofing can be achieved or something?

Comment

Also I jump at any opportunity to buy more tools and accessories. You guys are enablers! :-) I bought a new tool box this week too, ready to get her filled up. (I find owning more tools almost as satisfying as owning watches and parts lately haha)

Comment

Working...
                                X