• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DHGate Mini Review: Rolex Air-King

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Pictures Coming Soon.

TL;DR - 9.4 Rating. Love this watch. Surprising quality and great fit and finish. Would definitely order again.

Price: $49.80

Delivery Time: 28 days

https://www.dhgate.com/product/aaa-2...407957938.html

My fourth Rep watch was the somewhat mixed review Air-King. This was my third “test” purchase from DHGate and was a very pleasant surprise. Right from its unboxing, my expectations were met, given the quality of the dial, heft of the watch and overall fit and finish of this watch. This has been a real bargain and a surprising favorite watch to wear of the handful that I own. I am (and others may not agree) unable to distinguish it from the Gen and I would have no issue wearing right into an AD and doing so confidently.

The only surprise I had with this watch is the overall size of the dial. After researching and looking at so many photos, I had convinced myself it would wear a little bigger and it still seems like a “small” watch, despite its 40mm sizing. This is likely a polarizing dial, but in my view, it’s innovative and modern, while being incredibly easy to read and fin to look at…The green seconds hand is a winner for me. As for the logo, I really like the color scheme and modern take on the Rolex brand. It’s a busy dial and one that definitely won’t work for everyone, but it suits my eye quite well.

After really being on the fence for this purchase, I pulled the trigger, looking for a durable watch that I could be active while wearing, playing golf, etc. I have played one round of golf with it and felt unbothered by it on my wrist. That said, I think I am appreciating the polished bezel more every day and probably won’t continue golfing with this, as I would like to maintain that polished look for as long as I can.

On to the ratings:

Fit and Finish: 9, I think only a Gen might push this higher

Legibility: 10, a perfect dial for me; love the variety of fonts, and polished Arabic numerals at 3-6-9

Comfort: 9, smooth clasp, great bracelet and sits properly once sized

Wearability: 9, I look forward to each day in the rotation and find it as close to perfect for me as any watch I own. Overall, this watch wears smaller than it should…could be too small for some

Value: 10, worth the risk, given the price and quality…am now thinking about the white dial version to have a couple of choices.

Overall: 9.4

Last edited:
Reactions: processengr

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Glad you are happy with it bro. Here's a BP for comparison.

15928843010680.jpg

processengr

Respected Member
16/9/15
Pictures Coming Soon.

TL;DR - 9.4 Rating. Love this watch. Surprising quality and great fit and finish. Would definitely order again.

Price: $49.80

Delivery Time: 28 days

https://www.dhgate.com/product/aaa-2...407957938.html

My fourth Rep watch was the somewhat mixed review Air-King. This was my third “test” purchase from DHGate and was a very pleasant surprise. Right from its unboxing, my expectations were met, given the quality of the dial, heft of the watch and overall fit and finish of this watch. This has been a real bargain and a surprising favorite watch to wear of the handful that I own. I am (and others may not agree) unable to distinguish it from the Gen and I would have no issue wearing right into an AD and doing so confidently.

The only surprise I had with this watch is the overall size of the dial. After researching and looking at so many photos, I had convinced myself it would wear a little bigger and it still seems like a “small” watch, despite its 40mm sizing. This is likely a polarizing dial, but in my view, it’s innovative and modern, while being incredibly easy to read and fin to look at…The green seconds hand is a winner for me. As for the logo, I really like the color scheme and modern take on the Rolex brand. It’s a busy dial and one that definitely won’t work for everyone, but it suits my eye quite well.

After really being on the fence for this purchase, I pulled the trigger, looking for a durable watch that I could be active while wearing, playing golf, etc. I have played one round of golf with it and felt unbothered by it on my wrist. That said, I think I am appreciating the polished bezel more every day and probably won’t continue golfing with this, as I would like to maintain that polished look for as long as I can.

On to the ratings:

Fit and Finish: 9, I think only a Gen might push this higher

Legibility: 10, a perfect dial for me; love the variety of fonts, and polished Arabic numerals at 3-6-9

Comfort: 9, smooth clasp, great bracelet and sits properly once sized

Wearability: 9, I look forward to each day in the rotation and find it as close to perfect for me as any watch I own. Overall, this watch wears smaller than it should…could be too small for some

Value: 10, worth the risk, given the price and quality…am now thinking about the white dial version to have a couple of choices.

Overall: 9.4

I too, have a GateKing that I felt was worth the cost and risk. I have held the gen, and even tried it on. It was the lowest price Rolex in the store, at about 4k in 2018.
You will see the crown is printed in the wrong color, the gen is yellow where this is goldish.
The lugs are brushed on the gen, where this one is polished. On mine the clasp is wrong, being the type with latch, looks like they have improved on that.
Please, post a picture!
I would like to get the BP version, but at 6x the cost, I have procrastinated....
Thank you for your thoughtful review, wear it in good health!

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I too, have a GateKing that I felt was worth the cost and risk. I have held the gen, and even tried it on. It was the lowest price Rolex in the store, at about 4k in 2018.
You will see the crown is printed in the wrong color, the gen is yellow where this is goldish.
The lugs are brushed on the gen, where this one is polished. On mine the clasp is wrong, being the type with latch, looks like they have improved on that.
Please, post a picture!
I would like to get the BP version, but at 6x the cost, I have procrastinated....
Thank you for your thoughtful review, wear it in good health!

Interesting points, I can see that in the BP version above...I actually like the polished lugs a little better, but I do see how one could probably brush the case finish easily to improve the comparison. I also see that the logo crown is in fact different. The Gen does look better, IMO, but I guess that's our tradeoff with the Gate!

Ashworth14

Getting To Know The Place
11/1/20
North West, UK
I don't know if it is just me but the crystal looks a bit off? Looks a little too raised and a bit "milky / cloud" from looking side on.

Also bezel looks a bit thick?

Also rehaut looks off - normal rehaut should be R O L E X R O L E X but on this rep it looks like it's there's a space between the X and R

Just my observations.

Last edited:

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Crystal is actually very clear (my poor photo skills probably). It sits ever so slightly above the bezel...not sure if that means different form Gen...probably, but I don't know.

But there is that tiny spacing issue on the rehaut, so that's another good catch...this is actually very helpful and along the lines of my goal here.I'd like for potential buyers to see and understand these finer points and push their decision making one direction or another. Thanks for the observations!

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Second hand is more of a mint green color on the gate version?

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Cool to see some Airking fans. I got the Noob factory version. Didnt like it when it arrived but its starting to really grow on me.

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Cool to see some Airking fans. I got the Noob factory version. Didnt like it when it arrived but its starting to really grow on me.

Yeah, must say that the Air-King is definitely cooler in person than I thought it would be. Feels like a watch where there's been some dial innovation in the UI that is distinctive. I can see how its also polarizing on this front. But, it's clean and legible and very modern looking.

Reactions: Yogibear