• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VR3185 GMT Hand Stacking

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
I recall reading somewhere in the forum that special precaution is needed when installing the hands onto the VR3185 movement - the hour hand will scratch the dial due to lack of a stopper on the hour wheel? Am I correct? How about for the other hands? There would be stoppers for the GMT and Minute hands?

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Yeah, it was reported by occb2 a while back when he first tested the VRF GMT. Not sure if that is still the issue with the latest batch VR movements. For all my VR3185 movements, I have used gen cannon pinion and hand wheels, so this has never been an issue.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What hands are you installing onto the VR3185?

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Two options, ARF or VRF. I know the issues about being too loose for the ARF hands onto the VR3185, but considering their quality is still worth a try though.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
srhoque "I have used gen cannon pinion and hand wheels, so this has never been an issue."

I think I recall the same hour wheel issues without having the stopper on the gen. 3185 movement too. Correct me if I am wrong plz.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
srhoque "I have used gen cannon pinion and hand wheels, so this has never been an issue."

I think I recall the same hour wheel issues without having the stopper on the gen. 3185 movement too. Correct me if I am wrong plz.

Not an issue. Forgot to mention my hands are gen too ;) My bad.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Two options, ARF or VRF. I know the issues about being too loose for the ARF hands onto the VR3185, but considering their quality is still worth a try though.

You shouldn't have any issues at all putting VRF hands onto a VR3185.

I'm doing another ARF hands to VR3185 movement very soon and am going to try to use the ARF cannon pinion (minute hand) and GMT wheel (GMT hand) in the VR3185 if those two hands are loose like I had happen before. I'll post back with results.

On a related note, I read that the VR3185 will not take a gen center wheel (seconds hand) but I know the VR3185 will take an ARF center wheel. I had to swap one in after breaking the pinion resetting the second hand. They are really fragile at .17mm

Last edited:
Reactions: jumpope

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
I am confused here. Basically VR3185 and ARF3186 have a completely different jumping hour mechanism, right? How can you swap the ARF GMT wheel onto the VR3185?
For the cannon pinion swapping I can understand.
So it means installing the hour hand onto the VR3185 won't run the risk of scratching the dial?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am confused here. Basically VR3185 and ARF3186 have a completely different jumping hour mechanism, right? How can you swap the ARF GMT wheel onto the VR3185?
For the cannon pinion swapping I can understand.
So it means installing the hour hand onto the VR3185 won't run the risk of scratching the dial?

Yeah, I hadn't had the VR jump click apart before but the SH GMT wheel is separate from the jump click module so I though maybe I could use the SH GMT wheel as the bottom half of the VR jump click since they are the same diameter and same number of teeth. But the VR equivalent part has some molded buildups and holes in it that would make this impossible. I should have known. The good news is I measured both post diameters at 1.32mm, so the ARF GMT hand should fit the VR post without crimping, at least on these two samples. It has been an issue for me and others so there is apparently some deviation in parts tolerances between samples. I need to look further into the cannon pinion to see if swapping it is feasible or even necessary.

ResdX.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The VR hour wheel does in fact not have a hand hole collar seat on it. But the copper washer is stiffer and hugs the post pretty tightly so as long as you don't press the hand really hard, there should not be an issue with the hand contacting the dial. I always check hand to dial or hand to hand clearance before moving them at all.

ReJJs.jpg

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Thanks for the details.
Since srhoque said he doesn't have any issues with gen. wheels, does it mean the gen. hour wheel has a hole collar on it? Any idea?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I would closely examine the parts here bro. I think those are pics of gen parts

https://evergreenparts.de/spare-part...Rolex-Cal-3186

But I wouldn't worry about pressing the hour hand onto the VR hour wheel. I've done it wirhout issue several times using both VRF and ARF hour hands. Just don't be heavy "handed", haha. You can always put a dial spacer under the hand while pressing if you need a crutch. Just don't cram it on. Put the spacer in so it only catches the hole surround a little bit and the spacer can be easily slid out even if there is a little friction.

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
I understand you have done quite a number of VR3185 transplants onto the ARF cases, how do you lock the movement up? What screws do you use? The locking threads on the VR3185 are clockwise turning for tightening up as per gen.?
I just got a VR3185 but it doesn't come with any movement securing screws! Will the ETA locking screws fit too?
I know only the VRF cases have the gen case spec for movement locking though.
Thanks.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020
I understand you have done quite a number of VR3185 transplants onto the ARF cases, how do you lock the movement up? What screws do you use? The locking threads on the VR3185 are clockwise turning for tightening up as per gen.?
I just got a VR3185 but it doesn't come with any movement securing screws! Will the ETA locking screws fit too?
I know only the VRF cases have the gen case spec for movement locking though.
Thanks.

You can't use the VRF gen-like locking screws in an ARF case because there are no case cutouts. You have to use regular movement tabs and screws.

The VRF (and gen) screw threads are counter clockwise to loosen, just like other rep movements. By loosening the screw you wedge it up under the case lip to anchor the movement.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Will the ETA clamp screws and tabs work for securing the VR3185 onto the case?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Will the ETA clamp screws and tabs work for securing the VR3185 onto the case?

Yes you can use ETA clamps and screws.

You should probably buy an assortment kit of clamps and screws so you have different ones to choose from.

GS5S3.jpg

Just be careful threading them in the case hole so as not to strip the hole threads. The bottom ETA screw in the pic below did not want to go in easily so I tried another one and it fit fine.

GSeCn.jpg

GSLiE.jpg

The space between the movement and the case is very small so you will likely need to custom size a clamp. You can see in the last pic how small the ARF clamp is compared to the smallest ETA kit clamp. Use a pin vise to hold the clamp and sand it on a piece of sandpaper flat on a bench. Note that on the ARF clamp the portion on the movement side of the hole has been shaved down so it would fit onto the VRF movement. You also may need to decrease the screw head diameter in a similar fashion. These are all typical fitting mods I've done before that are just part of the modding game.

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Thanks for the advice.
So it looks best to use the screws and clamps come with ARF for a good fit, right?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020
Thanks for the advice.
So it looks best to use the screws and clamps come with ARF for a good fit, right?

I would yes. You probably will have to shave the movement side of the clamps as I noted.