• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Glycine Airman - (almost) lost in the shadow of Rolex GMT

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If you thought the Rolex was the first Swiss watch company to produce an aviator’s GMT watch with a 24 hour rotating bezel, you would be mistaken. Instead it was a little known company called Glycine who beat out Rolex by about a year in 1953. I found the history of the first Glycine Airman very interesting, you can read more in the links I’ve included.

https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/...Glycine released the,was not destined to soar.

I’ve seen these watches off and on over the years and always found them to be attractive but never got around to actually owning one until now. There is a fundamental feature on many of them that I never quite appreciated - initially they were only available as “Purist” models, meaning the dial had 24 hour indices and the hour hand rotated only once in a 24 hour period. Many other GMT type watches use this convention, but it can take some getting used to. Glancing at your watch hands on a Purist watch and knowing the time intuitively requires some mental translating at first, like when you learn a new language. Glycine eventually conceded to making models in which the hour hand rotates twice in a 24 hour period. Another trademark characteristic of the Airman is the locking bezel crown which lets you fix the bezel at intermediate settings to cover all time zones, even the odd ones that don’t match up on the hour.

Glycine has been making the Airman line of watches continuously since their initial release and there are quite a few different models available. If you are seriously interested in owning one, you should carefully research the model’s features and make sure you know what you are buying. If the model is listed as “Purist”, the hour hand is going to rotate once in 24 hours. Also if it has a GMT hand, on most models the hour hand will rotate twice in 24 hours. Their current models use a GL293 movement, which is a Selitta 330-1 (2893-2). The company was bought by Invicta in 2016, but the Glycine CEO has vowed to keep production separate, this was merely a financial decision.

Here’s a pic of the first Glycine Airman. It was a Purist model with no GMT hand.

wtDK5.jpg

A few years ago the company re-released several vintage models and the accuracy to the first models is amazing. I was really torn between one of these models and the contemporary one I ended up with. I may still pick up one of these too. The black dial one is not a Purist model - note the 12 at 12 o'clock. This one is still on my list!

wrcNp.jpg

wtjMt.jpg

In the end, the two color gradient dial and modern look drove my purchase decision to the Airman World Timer. It is available in 42, 44, and 46mm, and with two different SS bracelets or a leather strap. Retail price on these can reach $3K but they can be found easily at quite deep discounts. An SW-330-1 movement alone can run $300, so finding one of these watches at $400 - $600 is a great bargain IMO.

wkyVp.jpg

wtqTS.jpg

wtoqW.jpg

I got the 44mm one - the lugs are very long but they are curved down nicely to hug your wrist and the watch is very thin at about 12mm so it doesn’t feel like a DSSD or a Yachtmaster II. I have already ordered a nice thick navy blue croc strap for it. I don’t like the bracelet as much as I thought I would. The crystal is a slightly domed sapphire with triple AR on the underside and it has a sapphire display caseback as well.

wtA5s.jpg

wtUKk.jpg

wtZ1F.jpg

wtHoE.jpg

wtIbQ.jpg

wXQ52.jpg

Here are some links you might find interesting

https://watchranker.com/glycine-watch-reviews/

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...tingly,presented to an international audience.

This link contains a posting of a book written about the Airman, and shows probably all of the historical models - a MUST SEE if you like these models at all!

https://watchintyme.com/forum/watch...8-glycine-airman-a-24-hour-timeline-of-flight

This link shows all the current models still in production

https://glycine-watch.ch/collection/airman/

Thanks for looking!

wt3D2.jpg

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Great write up and a lovely new watch. Enjoy it mate! I see what you mean about the 24 hour dial though. 5 oclock suddenly is 10am. 9 oclock is now 6pm. But lets be honest, watches aren’t for telling the time. They just look cool and have a bunch of cool gears in them :p

i take it this gmt isnt a time bomb ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
Nice looking watch and nice write up - thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
I've had two. They're great gen watches and easily found on the grey market for new and low price.

Next Airman I buy will be the Airman Vintage, their remake of the original Airman.

csm_GL0158_deb1241c16.png

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've had two. They're great gen watches and easily found on the grey market for new and low price.

Next Airman I buy will be the Airman Vintage, their remake of the original Airman.

csm_GL0158_deb1241c16.png

That is one I considered too bro. I really like this one though and keep going back to look at it.

wtjMt.jpg

Reactions: mclarendude

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My Rollies are feeling left out, I have worn only this since it arrived.

15918208246910.jpg

Reactions: Gabdan

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
These are interesting watches. The 24 hour dial takes a bit of getting used to but is probably easier if you have owned a GMT for a while where the GMT hand basically does the same. I could not pull off a 44mm dial with my skinny-ish 7 inchers. My Speedy at 41mm is just about the biggest I can do.
The "contemporary" ones are a bit, well, I guess, too comtemporary for me, just a bit too chunky. I like their vintage ones, and the DC4 even has a 12 hour dial. And dauphine hand! A winner I think!
These have definitely grown on me.
I have been looking at the Christohper Ward GMT as well. A bit more dressy and probably more suitable to me. Of course that does not have the history of the Glycine.

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
KJ2020 Looks like the watch is still going strong for you, mate. That strap really soften the look of the Airman compared to the std bracelet. Wanted to get the base 22 GMT with the hour hand going around 2x a day but a bit worried the bezel's markers will rub-off after a while.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 Looks like the watch is still going strong for you, mate. That strap really soften the look of the Airman compared to the std bracelet. Wanted to get the base 22 GMT with the hour hand going around 2x a day but a bit worried the bezel's markers will rub-off after a while.

The bezel markers are engraved bro so it would take an enormous amount of wear on the bezel face to get down to the bottom of the engraving.

These bezel inserts are 31 years old and way more susceptible to surface wear. :cool:

15842815194820.jpg

15824267205625.jpg

Grayd

Known Member
Certified
25/12/20
Milano
Glycine was such a great watch company, overall the pre invicta version.
I own a combat sub and couldn't be happier, absolutely reliable and so well put together.

Reactions: weezkid

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well, this is the unit I am looking at...

Ah yes the famous Base 22 - it's got some depth to the bezel markers. You can see it in the 14. The 6's are open so that's not wear there. I say go for it bro!

Reactions: weezkid

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
Ah yes the famous Base 22 - it's got some depth to the bezel markers. You can see it in the 14. The 6's are open so that's not wear there. I say go for it bro!

Alright, my man, I will contact the seller and see how it goes. Cheers, KJ!