• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116610 6-digit Experts - Case Machining

Myatt

23/9/17
yodog tripdog TheSociety BigOffshoreDaddy kilowattore misiekped Tickleshoes

I understand that it is possible to machine a 6-digit case internally to achieve perfect 1:1 gen specs (like the v6s) such that full-length gen screws could be used to hold the movement. Specifically I'm looking if anyone has tried cutting the notch highlighted in red in pic below. CNC milling m/c could get it done yes, but has anyone actually tried it and has the CNC code/ CAM files? Or is keeping on the lookout for a V6S a better (saner) option?

C - I hope I've highlighted the notch correctly.

case-spec.jpg

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Besides the fun, why not acquire a v6s and Franken it?

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
CNC milling looks like the only option to do it. Way out of my ballpark :)
But an I getting it right that the only scope of milling is being able to use gen spec screws?

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Why would you want cam files? It‘s a simple cutout, which could be done on any low end manual milling machine with an end mill in the right diameter, or a simple G02/G03 command in g-code, if you have to use a cnc for the sake of it.
You‘re over complicating things.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Use shorter screws, much easier.

Reactions: Dizzy

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Myatt A CNC is really not needed, just a manual mill and a proper way to hold the case. The screw relief in the genuine case has an almost elliptical cutout which is most likely done with a CNC. To do it manually it would take and offset collet one and indexing head on the mill like pictured. moving in on the cut Y axis and out of the cut X axis with slight rotation... hard to explain.

or really just machine a basic collet and clamp it in the mill vice... using a larger radius endmill ( roughly 16mm or 18mm) enter cut depending on orientation of the case in relation to the Y or X axis.
I just quickly did this while I had time to see how easy it was and how it would turn out.

anyway these are the results, apologies for the crap photos I didn’t have much machine time today.

Myatt

23/9/17
Any CONUS modders who have attempted/ can attempt this with confidence?