• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Pepsi Bezel Paint Mod

teaston

20/3/16
UK
As any of you who are aware of the GMF Pepsi GMT Master 2 know, the transition from blue to red on the bezel has a visible white line on most pieces, especially at the 6, so I set about fixing it on mine.

Everyone seems to think the barely visible white line is the glue holding the two bezel pieces together, but under magnification it’s quite obvious it’s actually the platinum paint from when they painted the 6. I assume when they paint the 6 then wipe away the excess it gets stuck in the gap.

So, using Humbrol Enamel Ferrari Red paint, a 20/0 paint brush and a cheap 15x magnifying loupe I was able to fill the gaps with red paint and massively improve the visual look of the bezel joint.

Definitely easier than fixing the NOOB bezel with the 18 joint in the wrong position, and the rest of this GMF version is great, if you can live with the ICHS of course.

Before:

After:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very nicely done bro. I did a similar mod to my blue dial GMF insert. But let me ask you - are your markers white or silver? The blue dial one had the markers filled with white paint that was already cracking despite the watch being fairly new. I dug it all out and repainted the markers silver.

Reactions: teaston

teaston

20/3/16
UK
Very nicely done bro. I did a similar mod to my blue dial GMF insert. But let me ask you - are your markers white or silver? The blue dial one had the markers filled with white paint that was already cracking despite the watch being fairly new. I dug it all out and repainted the markers silver.

Thanks mate. They’re definitely the accurate platinum colour I’m happy to report, and no speed bumps either! :)

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My GMF insert shown on a Noob. I used Testors Bright Red. I found dabbing the paint on in tiny dabs worked better than trying to drag it by brushing. Then before it dried I used a thinner damp lens wipe to swipe away the blobs and leave the paint only in the cracks where in my case the white was showing. Quite tricky since I had already done a silver paint mod to the markers. The key is pulling the damp lens cloth taut over your finger so the swiping does NOT gouge into the cracks or the marker cutouts.

15888020016310.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: teaston

teaston

20/3/16
UK
My GMF insert shown on a Noob. I used Testors Bright Red. I found dabbing the paint on in tiny dabs worked better than trying to drag it by brushing. Then before it dried I used a thinner damp lens wipe to swipe away the blobs and leave the paint only in the cracks where in my case the white was showing. Quite tricky since I had already done a silver paint mod to the markers. The key is pulling the damp lens cloth taut over your finger so the swiping does gouge into the cracks or the marker cutouts.

15888020016310.jpg

Good work, yes that’s how I did it also, just with a not so smooth cloth though.

Reactions: KJ2020

kevBquick

9/10/18
My GMF insert shown on a Noob. I used Testors Bright Red. I found dabbing the paint on in tiny dabs worked better than trying to drag it by brushing. Then before it dried I used a thinner damp lens wipe to swipe away the blobs and leave the paint only in the cracks where in my case the white was showing. Quite tricky since I had already done a silver paint mod to the markers. The key is pulling the damp lens cloth taut over your finger so the swiping does NOT gouge into the cracks or the marker cutouts.

15888020016310.jpg

i dunno i can't pull this off. Yours looks great. I do the dab of paint.....wipe it off....but it still is obviously wiping away inside the crack and causing the gap still. frustrating.