• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5512 5513 superfakes

DrBritoJr

Horology Curious
18/4/20
Hi Folks. I have been looking around here for quite half year now but this is my very first post. Congrats for such a nice website. I am totally newbie in this hobby (the other ones are vintage german cars and genuine swiss 70s-90s sport watches) . All started about six months ago when I saw an 5512 rep case at ebay usa ( I live in Brazil) . New in a plastic bag found in someones drawer, complete case with insert and case back and nothing else for $250. Not a single info and l still don’t know which <<Brand>> this case is. So…. After a couple of weeks and hundreds of youtube videos later I decided to go for it. Amateur watchmaking . I realized I had started a new hobby. Started to dig some new and used equipment like microscope (I prefer microscopes because I deal with them at daily base cause I an ophthalmologist) , timer machine, and watchmaking basic stuff like tweezers, screwdrivers , puncher kit , oils and things like that. Even a Geiger counter was bought to check dial and hands radioactivity . With this pandemic problem there is a ton of free time cause we are not allowed to go outside without a strong reason. Stay at home is the golden rule for now. Returning to this project. I was able to find an real 93150 bracelet from ebay seller vintagewatchparts98, a very reputable and honest independent used watch seller for a reasonable $700 and a singer 5513 dial from ebay seller ostrich68 for $168 and around $20 for an set of 1530 unbranded submariner hands I already had the movement alone in the safe (I really don’t remember why but I bought it real cheap around 5-7 years ago) so basically the genuine 1530 movement costed me nothing for this project
I decided don’t take risks at this first job and decided to have this 5512 assembled by an professional watchmaker cause the movement was OK but also stopped for years and I just didn’t feel enough confidence to perform a total cleaning and lubrication in a real (and expensive now) 1530 movement as a very first amateur job. Watch returned nicely , keeping amazing time (+2 /-2 secs day) but….. in the end….. the overall look was nice with NATO strap but the the dial ( remember that guy that says…the value is in the dial….always in the dial….) was …..I don’t know the word…perhaps …artificial…. So I decided to change the fake aged patina looking and relume the whole dial and hands using unitednuclear produts. A little zinc sulphate was added to reduce the green color to a more pale green. Also I added uranyl nitrate to add some yellow and a bit of radioactivity power…..lets try to make a super fake t-25 tritium like dial….haha . I made some mistakes brushing too much the markers, I didn’t know there was a white coat under the markers…I will try to redo the 12-3-6-9 white coat under the lume in the future. At this point I am pretty happy with my job.
I liked the final result changing parts and performing basic mods like reluming but I am not done AT ALL. This 5512 1530 project is over (now with real 93150 bracelet) but I will go for another one . This time I will make an 5513 1520 genuine movement with NATO strap and modern white gold markers tritium gloss dial what reminds me this is the main reason of this post. I sent some messages to trustytime.shop and pfclones asking about the 5512 5513 they deal. Trusty time told me that they don’t know if gen rolex 1520 1530 movements can fit their cases and pfclones told me that it will NOT fit inside the 5512 5513 watches he sells. Trurty times link https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=14419 . pfclones link https://www.pfclones.com/0-0-0-0rlsv01006-vintage-5513-no-date-submariner-asia-eta-2836.html . It’s a little confusing because trusty times link is an JKF case and it is supposed to fit 15xx movments as I have learned here and pfclones stated All Parts Interchangeable with the Genuine. So my questions are about this. …sorry I have no interrogation point in this stupid keyboard
  1. Can you guys tell me about my case. Can you tell me the brand JKF, BP, phong… Id like to know what I have. As you know there is an 1530 movement beating strong inside this case and no mod was necessary at all to fit the 1530 inside the case.
  2. About those links. Am I ok to buy one of those 5513 to this new 5513 superfake project
Tks a lot and sorry about so many lines……. lets see if my pictures upload
and also this....

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Great looking project sir. I wouldn't put any great faith in the "all parts interchangeable with genuine" claims, as you've already found! I'm not sure a JKF (cartel) case would be the ideal starting point for a project that involved fitting a gen movement. Someone who really knows the subject, such as tripdog may have some advice on this.

I'm interested in your microscope setup. That's an Amscope, isn't it? Care to share any of the details about it, and how you find using it?

DrBritoJr

Horology Curious
18/4/20
Hi p0pperini , this microscope setup is pretty amazing for that price tag. As an surgical ophthalmologist I deal with medical grade mics at office called slit lamps and also surgical mics all day long. What I can say is ….WOW!! Of course an surgical microscope will give you perfect images under any light circunstance but the price range is from 50K USD to half million USD. This setup cost me less than $300 and the image is not far AT ALL from images I use to see at office using zeiss and Leica slit lamps priced more than 10K USD. My watchmaker want this mic so bad…..haha . I will bring him another unit next time I travel to USA in 8 weeks from now . I an not an watch expert but I guess in a near future all watchmakers will have a mic like that at their offices. It is truly a super bargain, Stereoscopy or stereo imaging is much better than those funny single sided loupes . The image provided by this mic. are crystal clear and the zoom is linear progressive making fine focus and zoom super fast and easy. Bright led light power is also adjusted turning a easy to reach knob. The color camera is bought separately but for under $30 , 1200 TV lines is more than enough . I got an small VESA bracket and attached to an inexpensive monitor bought locally. But the camera setup IMHO, is for documentation purposes only. The images are so clear that I almost never look to the monitor, its not even close the quality of the binoculars . Even after 6-8 hours playing around with small parts there is no eye fatigue. More than recommended to everybody looking into this hobby. All stuff from ebay usa

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
DrBritoJr Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me more about your microscope, that's really very helpful indeed. I've been looking at them for some time, wondering whether it would be worthwhile investing the surprisingly small amount of money into one. But they are so inexpensive compared to what I expected that I was convinced it would result in disappointment. I think the model you have is quite a lot more expensive here, due to the shipping cost, but still, not too bad.

DrBritoJr

Horology Curious
18/4/20
Ask the seller about S/H . It was free shipping to USA and there was no customs or local taxes. This was a flat $261 and nothing else

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ask the seller about S/H . It was free shipping to USA and there was no customs or local taxes. This was a flat $261 and nothing else
I've just checked again and the model that you have is available at the price shown in your illustration - however, it doesn't ship to the UK. There are a lot of very similar listings, for instance this one is similar to yours but is described as "Simul-focal" which I'm not sure about. But I can't find one identical to yours that ships here.

And my apologies for hijacking your 5513 thread.

Last edited:

DrBritoJr

Horology Curious
18/4/20
its the same stuff. Simul-Focal Optical System Allows Simultaneous Observation Through Both the Eyepieces and the Trinocular Port. + Have well-focused clear images on your computer or video screen and through the eyepieces at the same time.

Reactions: p0pperini

DrBritoJr

Horology Curious
18/4/20
the only down side in this mic is the power.... because .there is a LOT of power here ....3.5x-90X is a lot of power. Some times you just dont need a lot of magnification . I rather prefer to choose 2x-45x if I have such option. but there is not. dont forget to use the -0.50X lens included in the pack. This will expand your field of vision (and work area) in 2X

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks DrBritojr, in that case I'll be ordering one of these for sure. And once again, apologies for the thread hijack!

DrBritoJr

Horology Curious
18/4/20
no problem at all. always good to help. lets see if someone here has something to say about my project . BTW I am totally open to deals. Even if the case is used as long as it gets 15XX gen movement. Folks... if the price is fair....I am buying!!!