• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Am I the only one who doesn't like polished center links?

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
So I just got my first rep (Noob Daytona white dial) two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I can't believe how far reps have come over the years. When I was in high school, a friend of mine had a cheap rep Tag Heuer and I could tell just from the clacking sound of the bracelet that it was fake. My new Daytona, however, sparkles and feels like a finely made product.

The only thing I dislike about it are those polished center links. They smudge if you just look at them and they scratch incredibly easily even when you're cleaning with a microfiber towel. I realize that the Daytona is meant to be a dressier watch like the Datejust and the GMT Master, but I would much rather have an all brushed Oyster bracelet like my Sub or Explorer II. What do you guys or gals think? Anyone else dislike the bling of PCLs?

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Wow, you could recognize a Tag rep in high school - you got talent mate!!

Oyster bracelet is matter of subjective preference. Personally, I absolutely love them. Keep a cape code polish cloth and gently polish to keep the mirror finish of center link. Scratches on a watch is a fact of life - after a while you get over it. While it is not gen like, you can also try a jubilee on a Daytona which is better with hiding scratches.

If none of the above satifies you, get a sub :D

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
Trust me, there was no talent involved in identifying that Tag as a rep. Whenever my friend moved his arm, there was a sound like two aluminum cans clanking together. I'm not a huge fan of Tags but I'm pretty sure that they're better made than that.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Trust me, there was no talent involved in identifying that Tag as a rep. Whenever my friend moved his arm, there was a sound like two aluminum cans clanking together. I'm not a huge fan of Tags but I'm pretty sure that they're better made than that.
I don't think they are.

Anyway, WRT polished centre links... I agree. I'm not a big fan of them either. But no one says you have to wear this style of oyster bracelet on your Daytona just because it comes with one. There's plenty of other options, be it leather or rubber, or an oyster with brushed centre links (you could even do that to the bracelet yourself, with nothing more than a bit of scotch brite).

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I don't like polished links or watches that are scratch magnets . I prefer brushed cases and bracelets , Rollies with brushed Oysters for me as well .

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
You can get rid of the polished center links with scotch brite!? I don't know if I willing to try that on a brand new watch. Maybe after a couple of months :)

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
I've actually never seen a Nautilus in the flesh. I didn't even know that they had polished center links. I thought the bracelets were brushed.

thinker1

26/11/17
PCL looks awesome on Daytona only if you could maintain the finish. I suppose it’s only possible if you wear it in rotation.

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
Ha! I wish I could put it in rotation. My six gens including my Sub have all stayed put in the watch box ever since I got it. Just noticed I got another scratch on clasp today. It's only been two weeks :(

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Ha! I wish I could put it in rotation. My six gens including my Sub have all stayed put in the watch box ever since I got it. Just noticed I got another scratch on clasp today. It's only been two weeks :(

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

After some time it will get quite scratched and at that stage it doesn’t get much worse with wear and you’ll get used to it and won’t even notice.

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
I also prefer brushed oyster bracelet.

But the Daytona has polished lugs and an all brushed bracelet may look odd — unless you brush the lugs like a Sub/GMT.

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
H...my six gens including my Sub have all stayed put in the watch box ...
Why do that to a perfectly fine watch? Wear them that's what they were made for! The people who made them don't want you to hide them in a box ....

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
So I just got my first rep (Noob Daytona white dial) two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I can't believe how far reps have come over the years. When I was in high school, a friend of mine had a cheap rep Tag Heuer and I could tell just from the clacking sound of the bracelet that it was fake. My new Daytona, however, sparkles and feels like a finely made product.

The only thing I dislike about it are those polished center links. They smudge if you just look at them and they scratch incredibly easily even when you're cleaning with a microfiber towel. I realize that the Daytona is meant to be a dressier watch like the Datejust and the GMT Master, but I would much rather have an all brushed Oyster bracelet like my Sub or Explorer II. What do you guys or gals think? Anyone else dislike the bling of PCLs?

I would prefer a brushed oyster but I could live with a PCL

Reactions: tomjoad

hm11esh

4/9/18
you could have someone brush the bracelet for you so that its like a sub. PCL looks nice but is a scratch magnet.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I always prefer brushed but on some models, it just works much better. My YM looked great with polished centers but yea, they scratch like it’s made of foil. I got in the habit of polishing and brushing that bracelet about once a month. Then I started covering the clasp with very thin packing tape, using a heat gun so it wrapped perfectly on the raised bits. You just need to get a very sharp xacto knife or razor and cut the edges around the clasp. That made the polishing extend to about once every few months since that’s the part that gets scratched up the most.

I eventually got rid of it but I miss it. Absolutely loved it and probably will end up getting another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk