• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Real 18K Solid Gold Submariner Rep/ Homage

kyo86sg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/16
Greetings to all,

It's been awhile since I last visited this page and I guess no factory have actually come out with a real 18K gold watch yet?

With the Gold Sub super overpriced at this time, I stumbled upon this 18K Squale diver watch, 40mm size, 20mm lugs , 120 click bezel for around USD 4K mark? (I did enquire and they are still have 1-2 piece left with a rather limited production)

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/20-atmos-18k-classic-yellow-gold-1545yg

I would like to ask the forum opinion if anyone would be keen to get this and mod it to a proper 16618 submariner? Bezel and dial change and using the ETA 2824 movement?

To be honest, I am tempted as well but just wanted to hear the forum views before making a decision. :p

It appears that they have done this before in 2014 (Gold Dial)
20-Atmos-18K-Yellow-Gold-1545YG.jpg

2019 Edition (Black glit dial)
mail

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Dont see why not keep in mind you're missing hallmark engravings if that doesn't bother you... Also would be silly to have a $4500 case & a 2824 movement to snip feet on a genuine dial. I am sure some of the other wizards on the forum can piggyback off my comment & advise if a 3135 would fit that case. I wonder if StarTime still sells their 18k gold cases ? I understand the appeal of solid gold, but I think hiring a talented gold plater would accomplish your desires for 5% of the cost.

Last edited:

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
I see what you mean but I’m far from a case expert but it looks like this homage has non existent crown guards - you could always take away but adding through braising or welding is just overkill, if it could even be done.
Why not look at saving for a vintage gold datejust/daydate on a leather strap instead, by the time you finish trying a mod project with solid 18k gold I wouldn’t be surprised if you were already over halfway there!

kyo86sg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/16
Many thanks for the honest feedback on this.

I was searching high and low for a solid gold diver Rolex lookalike watch and realized there are only so few.

I guess even I were to buy this, it's not for modding anymore but just a ownership of a true 18k diver. ????

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Save your cash and just buy the real deal. Hard to rep a full gold...a gen 5 digit sub can be had for around 15k if you look hard enough...if you’re already spending a third..might as well jump and buy the real deal

52F5F30A-4210-4C71-BDFF-D83C21A606BA69d7490c47b7a0a9.jpg

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Greetings to all,

It's been awhile since I last visited this page and I guess no factory have actually come out with a real 18K gold watch yet?

With the Gold Sub super overpriced at this time, I stumbled upon this 18K Squale diver watch, 40mm size, 20mm lugs , 120 click bezel for around USD 4K mark? (I did enquire and they are still have 1-2 piece left with a rather limited production)

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/20-atmos-18k-classic-yellow-gold-1545yg

I would like to ask the forum opinion if anyone would be keen to get this and mod it to a proper 16618 submariner? Bezel and dial change and using the ETA 2824 movement?

To be honest, I am tempted as well but just wanted to hear the forum views before making a decision. :p

It appears that they have done this before in 2014 (Gold Dial)
20-Atmos-18K-Yellow-Gold-1545YG.jpg

2019 Edition (Black glit dial)
mail

Wow they actually got the case on their gold model right! If their 20 atmos steel model was the same I'd buy a few of them :D