• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona Discussion 9

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
No, it's not like saying that, and I'm not "gatekeeping" mari - in fact, I was doing the exact opposite with my clunky sarcasm. I'm saying that you don't need to be even slightly interested in using the functions of a watch to want to own one. So, "stinky modified" 7750 or "sexy clone" 4130, it really doesn't matter very much. In My Opinion.

that's good, it's your opinion and that's fine, i must have misunderstood!

What i meant to say is that the main idea behind the reps is getting as close as possible to the gen both externally and functionally, so if one of the 2 watches absolutely gets one of these points wrong is a no-no for me.
Just the idea of "being able" to use the chrono because you know that you can is everything, doesn't matter if you will or won't use it.

This is my opinion as well!

Reactions: p0pperini

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Well you can still buy both. Buy a brand new noob v3, get a nicely aligned ARF here on m2m. Get the dial and bezel, sell the donor watch.

Now you got that nice attention to details arf has, AND a fully functional chronograph.

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

J22HRP

Franken Addict
Certified
26/9/18
UK
I have a noob on the way to me now, can I order a ARF dial on its own from anywhere? and also does it fit straight into the noob without any mods Guys? Help Appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I have a noob on the way to me now, can I order a ARF dial on its own from anywhere? and also does it fit straight into the noob without any mods Guys? Help Appreciated.
Unfortunately the ARF chaps aren't daft, and they know what crazy rep buyers are willing to do to get the best of both worlds - so the only way you'll get an ARF dial is to buy the ARF watch (I know - I was one of those crazy rep buyers).

Should you end up with the two watches, you can swap the parts you want from the ARF to the Noob and vice versa - so you can then sell the "lesser" of the two watches and make a fair bit of the cost back.

The ARF dial is slightly too large for the Noob case, so either the case needs a little shaved off the inside (which is what Ado213 did to mine) or the ARF dial needs a little shaved off its diameter. The Noob dial fits the ARF case fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: freediver

Teris

31/12/14
Has anyone heard the rumor that ARF will soon have access to A4130 movements? I know I read it in a post somewhere on this forum and was intrigued.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Has anyone heard the rumor that ARF will soon have access to A4130 movements? I know I read it in a post somewhere on this forum and was intrigued.

noob invested millions in the development of the 4130, i don't think they are gonna let the factory who produces it for them sell it to ARF easily

Saul Goodman

Supporter
20/1/19
Germany
noob invested millions in the development of the 4130, i don't think they are gonna let the factory who produces it for them sell it to ARF easily

Are you sure it's developed by noob themselves? It might be that they had an exclusove right to use it for some time. Same with the So called vr3135 which was not developed by vr and is mean while used also by noob

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
This issue never dies, though after several threads, I thought this was settled: “does it make sense buying a chrono watch without a functioning chrono?”

I am with mari115 on this for obvious reasons.

cuz the answer is “No it doesn’t!” And the other reason? Why buy a fake of a fake watch?

Sure, I don’t use my chrono daily. But it’s gratifying to know I have a chrono functioning chrono watch when I do!

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Are you sure it's developed by noob themselves? It might be that they had an exclusove right to use it for some time. Same with the So called vr3135 which was not developed by vr and is mean while used also by noob

i read somewhere that they invested A LOT in this movement, either for the development or for the right to use it, not sure if it was around 10 million usd or something like that.
It surely won't be available for arf in the near future, since they would need to be making case adjustments in order to make it fit into their watches, snce they mount the 7750.

The truth is that no one knows, but a 4130 is a real breakthrough, and i bet they won't be letting others use it that easily, and even if ARF could use it in the future, i'm sure they will deliberately make some mistakes regarding dial-bezel or case, in order to sell more V1-2-3- ... -99

midnight_pasty

Known Member
11/6/17
you could try gathering the parts from the sale section and build one using the noob base with arf dial and bracelet and get ado123 to build it,he modded and serviced my sub and did great work!

Teris

31/12/14

Thanks for the reply. I was contemplating waiting for the ARF 4130 version, but if it's going to be a long time, I'll jump on the Noob and swap out the dial and bezel.

VaderTime

9/10/17
I got the noob simply because of the working chrono. I’ve ran the chrono for 12hrs and it’s working perfectly!

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
noob has the superior movement, it's thinner too!

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I have also heard the sa4130 exclusivity is time specific and close to coming to an end.

I have 11 daytonas, including noob, arf, JHF, BP, hell if even got one of the old F520117 cases. I've got gen dials, bezels, hands, crystals, all sorts.

MOVEMENT

NOOB - The noob movement is very good. Very solid. Sometimes some issue with the gears but nothing major. Good materials.

ARF - A thin sec at 6 7750. No working chrono is the least of your worries. The watch will almost certainly start losing time quickly. They're rubbish. The deco plate is laughable, they have glued the rotor screw on and it's a crap movement even in gen. I just don't like them.

JHF - Is like a hybrid between the ARF and old transferred gear trains. Thick and probably very unreliable. Feels nicer to wind than any ARF I've had though.

BP/Old NOOB/ F520117- 7750 with sec@6 gear transfer. Was the movement to have once upon a time. Til they all failed.

CASE

NOOB - The thickness is fantastic and the rehaut is a million miles closer to gen than ARF.

The problem is the finish. I have four noob cases and they are all the same.

Even with tight sels they are absolutely nothing like the gen if you know what you're looking at. There's no curvature at all, they're just slabs of metal. They look more like GMT cases than daytona. The edges look like they've been cut with a chainsaw.

I've put a CF bezel, ARF dial, gen crystal and gasket and gen hands and crown on my noob 116500 and I still refuse to wear it out until I can get the case reshaped to how I want it. People obsess over the sels but the sharp edges are far more indicative to me.

ARF - Far more gen like but crown position and rehaut let it down. Older versions had incorrect pusher angles. Geometrically better. Slightly fatter caseback. I've worked an ARF case to 13.6mm. Still wouldn't use it unless you're removing the rehaut. Won't take 4130 easily.

F520117 - Actually not bad. I measured it in at 14.6mm. For a 12 year old rep that deserves some kudos, but it's not gen spec. Curves are better than new noob. Geometrically quite good.

JHF - Fat. 15.3mm haha. Rehaut better than ARF, worse than noob. Pushers laughable. Dhgate quality. Caseback looks like it's been engraved on the inside with a carving knife.

DIAL

NOOB - No matter how hard they try, they just can't get the dials right.

The donut O in ROLEX is a joke, although far less obvious on the wrist. What is obvious is the finish. I have two gen rollies here. The high Polish on the indices is emblematic with Rolex. The noob just looks, meh.

ARF - As good as it gets. Dial is beautiful.

M Hall did a great analysis that took my initial analysis into greater depth. Most of my analysis has been with the gen in hand. Unfortunately this means few (but some) photos. You'll have to see the few photos I uploaded before and take my word for it. ARF smashed it.

BP - The best dials after ARF. The problem is they have a large hole in the middle for the hand stack. Otherwise there's not much wrong with them.

JHF - Surprisingly good. I can tell they're rep but I stare at these fuckers every day

F520117 - Funny. Really shit. Rep world has come a long way.

CRYSTAL

NOOB - V2/2.2 were milky. V3 seems better but I haven't seen it. Gasket is too thick. Needs a gen or ARF gasket as it protrudes with the stock noob. Reports some v3's have fixed this.

ARF - Not gen but very good. Clarity and refinement good.

JHF - Edges are less refined but clarity ok

F520117 - Didn't have a gasket haha. Milky AF but in all fairness, older than my eldest daughter.

HANDS

NOOB - shit. Passable to most until you put a loupe over them. Not good enough for me.

ARF - also shit. Better than noob but not working subdial means incorrect pinion on one hand. H&M are reasonable.

BP - I'm spoiled. I only use gen hands. Shit.

BEZEL

CERAMICS - CF BEST. ARF and NOOB V3 FINE. Everything else - shit.

STEEL - Phong best. Then ARF. Then Noob.

BRACELET

ARF best. Noob bit hit and miss. Others were crap.

There you have it. Oh yeah one more - plating:

BP- 10 years old. Looks the colour of piss but no blemishes!

ARF and NOOB - not very thick, I've had cases from both that have had to be stripped

JHF - probably sharpie. Laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk