• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First REP never made it. Customs inspected and charged $2300 tax

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
I still don’t understand what is the point of buying a fake Rollie with box and papers... unless someone wants to sell it for a “good” one
I personally never have had a box set other than with my gens, but my best guess is that it is probably for a complete experience. Gives the feel and look of spending $14k without the money haemorrhage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: aristole

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
I've researched this pretty thoroughly and haven't found a definitive answer, but I think it's possible that gifting a counterfeit item is not the same legally as selling it. Which means if a friend made a gift payment, and the item was gifted, it *may* be excluded by technicality. At least that's what I tell myself, lol.

I know we have some lawyers here, maybe someone can chime in. Like almost every facet of the law, this is a specialty area and would likely require someone actively involved with it to know for sure. Also judges can decide cases based on their own interpretation and whether or not they got laid last night. So YMMV.

If you get caught by custom with a fake watch in my country, you do not only get a letter from custom but also from a lawyer. There is no such thing as not responding because the fact of not responding will get you in more troubles than giving your answer.
Anyway, for a fake watch you get fined 1/3 approx of the value of a gen plus lawyer expenses and custom ones. We always speak about thousands, not hundreds.
This applies if your parcel contains one watch, if you have more, you will get in much serious troubles because you are identified as a merchant of fake goods, even if they were only intended for personal use.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I’m not sure you’ll get much help from the mods - you ordered your watch before you were a member here and I know mods from other forums won’t get involved in such circumstances. Maybe they’re nicer here, but they’re an ugly looking bunch so I doubt it. Either way, before you harass the mods, just try and resolve it yourself with the TD, it should be easily fixed. Good luck, don’t let this dishearten you.

I agree. I hope and trust that OP resolves this with Chazing, but the last thing the mods, and the forum need is every schmuck from Reddit coming here to troubleshoot their problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucker

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
I'm not sure how other people's experiences are, but If you ask me, the golden rule of shipping anything that you paid for - is to not use DHL. Especially so for things like reps where extra complications can arise, but even when buying completely legitimate goods, you'll just going to end up paying for customs 100% of the time, as DHL brokers the customs by practically paying them to open the boxes so that they can be cleared as quickly as possible. So then you foot the bill for DHL's brokerage fee plus the actual customs tax. Cool if you're a company needing to get something asap, but not desirable at all for an individual buying anything really. Just use EMS whenever possible, which results in waiting a few days more, but very rarely paying any fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgreg

Savage Alpaca

11/11/19
If customs thought it was gen what would they do with non payment? Would it get destroyed or eventually make it to an auction?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm not sure how other people's experiences are, but If you ask me, the golden rule of shipping anything that you paid for - is to not use DHL. Especially so for things like reps where extra complications can arise, but even when buying completely legitimate goods, you'll just going to end up paying for customs 100% of the time, as DHL brokers the customs by practically paying them to open the boxes so that they can be cleared as quickly as possible. So then you foot the bill for DHL's brokerage fee plus the actual customs tax. Cool if you're a company needing to get something asap, but not desirable at all for an individual buying anything really. Just use EMS whenever possible, which results in waiting a few days more, but very rarely paying any fees.

As in many things, people's experiences vary. In over 30 transactions with TDs, I have used DHL all but one time, and EMS once. I've had one shipment seized - guess which one? Yep, the EMS one. Just luck of the draw I guess. I still get nervous everytime but the packages go through the same customs centers in the US no matter how it's shipped so I think it's more a matter of how well the customs center does its job than anything else. BTW my TD reshipped the 2 seized watches to me at no cost (via DHL!).

Last edited:
Reactions: kennygconspiracy

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Per the help desk ticket response from me
RWI and staff are not here to fix issues for Reddit users.

OUR helpdesk ticket system is, has and always will be for helping our active members.

Running here after the fact looking for help is not acceptable and the user will get no staff help..

Go get your help from the almighty Reddit

Sent from my Noob v9.5

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
After posting on reddit. Im here to get help from the MODs
ordered my first rep back in june 2019 from chazingtime. Model was arf 116613lb arf v2 sh3135 movement. Dealer (ChazingTime) said production issues so money was paid already $480 with a rolex box n papers extra 90 ish. Waited 5 months for qc and first qc i just accepted coz i really wanted the watch. Was shipped november 30 ish. But customs at manila philippines inspected the box and currently tagged at $2300 for tax. DHL wont send it back to dealer without paying the taxes. Either way this has been my Worst experience ever. First time and was a total loss.
Link for DHL delays. https://imgur.com/a/KdaMa8x

Looking for help. Dont know what i can do at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the transaction was conducted in June 2019 and you didn’t become an RWI member until July 2019. A Help Desk ticket will do you no good. The Mods can’t help since you weren’t an RWI member when you bought the watch. Try Reddit and good luck.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
FYI lying about your join date in the helpdesk ticket is a reason for a ban from the forum

Begging me to help after that fact is shameful

Reddit is a much better place for you

do you plan to apologize for lying to staff and wasting their time?

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
Lying to staff....... This is a perfect example of a Reddit member running to RWI to use this forum solely for his own selfish needs with absolutely no intention of making a meaningful contribution.

Reactions: tripdog

nigeroalbaine

5/3/16
same thing happened to me with some Tony oieces sent to DR. just emailed tony and i got a full refund

nigeroalbaine

5/3/16
just email chazing and get a refund or a replacement, same happened to me when shipping to my country!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
After posting on reddit. Im here to get help from the MODs
ordered my first rep back in june 2019 from chazingtime. Model was arf 116613lb arf v2 sh3135 movement. Dealer (ChazingTime) said production issues so money was paid already $480 with a rolex box n papers extra 90 ish. Waited 5 months for qc and first qc i just accepted coz i really wanted the watch. Was shipped november 30 ish. But customs at manila philippines inspected the box and currently tagged at $2300 for tax. DHL wont send it back to dealer without paying the taxes. Either way this has been my Worst experience ever. First time and was a total loss.
Link for DHL delays. https://imgur.com/a/KdaMa8x

Looking for help. Dont know what i can do at this point.

Each country has its specific laws regarding counterfeit items, what's tolerated and what isn't. Just because counterfeit items are tolerated in one country doesn't mean they are tolerated everywhere, so advice from people who've never had an item seized, or who live in a country where counterfeit items are tolerated is worthless.

Customs in the Philippines is very strict - they probably don't know or wish to know if the watch is genuine or not, they just want the duties paid. Shipping by DHL or any other private courier to a country where import taxes are strictly applied is a very stupid idea - Chazingtime should have been aware of this, and so should you - you import an item in to your country without knowing the possible consequences.

In a nutshell you are screwed - the watch won't be returned to the TD, you won't pay the import duties so the watch is lost forever, and if a replacement is shipped then it's highly likely the same thing will happen again. There was a thread on here a few months ago, the same thing, a resident of the Philippines who tried to import rep watches and was facing import duties of several thousand dollars, plus legal action because he'd lied to the Philippine Customs office about the value - he's probably in jail now.

devilpro7

25/9/19
Just for curiosity, what means "Customs guarantee"? TD will just ship again or give funds if the watch is seized like in this case?

In Asian countries, you can "pay" a little money to the customs (some kind of corruption), so you will get your parcels to go through smoothly. Shipping fee from China to Asian countries is 35$, which is pretty high, I think it should cover the money for customs I mentioned above

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Just for curiosity, what means "Customs guarantee"? TD will just ship again or give funds if the watch is seized like in this case?

In Asian countries, you can "pay" a little money to the customs (some kind of corruption), so you will get your parcels to go through smoothly. Shipping fee from China to Asian countries is 35$, which is pretty high, I think it should cover the money for customs I mentioned above

I'm surprised to learn that China isn't in Asia.

Trying to bribe government officials may work in some countries, but in many I think it would end up getting you in even more trouble.

$35 is not high for shipping internationally, in fact it's pretty much the standard for shipping with a tracking number and signature.

devilpro7

25/9/19
I'm surprised to learn that China isn't in Asia.

Trying to bribe government officials may work in some countries, but in many I think it would end up getting you in even more trouble.

$35 is not high for shipping internationally, in fact it's pretty much the standard for shipping with a tracking number and signature.

I meant "Asian", which are Viet Nam, Thailand, Philippines... they are right next to China.

To go through customs there, you either pay taxes, either bribe.

I once sent 5kg of paper (documents) there, and the receiver had to pay 10$ to get it out. LoL. By my knowledge, if you fly there on vacation, with a bottle of wine, 10$ per bottle will get you go through easily.

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Bribing a government official for a fake watch :picard:

In Asia, that can be done. Rep dealers in Vietnam bribe a percentage of their sales to customs. They get to dodge tax and punishment for illegal goods, and customs get their easy money. On an individual basis, simply whip out $25 and you're all set.

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Thankfully it is not illegal in the US to buy aftermarket/clone watches. Selling them to unwitting folks is illegal but otherwise it's fine!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
It's not just illegal to defraud buyers when trying to pass it off as n authentic watch, it is also illegal in general to sell any counterfeit goods. copyright infringement - but unless you're selling a mil in goods, I doubt you'd have any issues.

There was an issue with some Asian guys who had a few mil worth of bags and shoes at a flea market last summer and they were arrested and that was pretty crazy.

But it is not illegal to buy counterfeit goods just to sell them.

Eta I see this was mentioned already.

Also has the op answered any of the posts that ask "what did chanzing time say?"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Norak6700

Horology Curious
11/11/19
Spot on! I learned something new today =)))

https://www.justice.gov/jm/criminal...s-c-and-d-definitions-trafficking-counterfeit

Technically it is illegal in the US to sell the watches (so M2M CONUS sales lol) https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap113-sec2320.pdf

All good stuff pretty interesting reading considering I never bothered to read any of that in the past =)

MAN!!! I learned something new today!! This was good reading. Maybe someone can reference this link for the newbies that don't know any better?