• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{{ NOOB V3 Daytona vs Gen Daytona vs ARF V2 Daytona }}

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Aprooved this beauty..im satisfied..SELs are amazing

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Aprooved this beauty..im satisfied..SELs are amazing

Beautiful! If you don’t mind can you share the photo of the SEL’s from the case back perspective [mention]Robi01 [/mention] my noob V3 look bad from the back as you can see below.

I’m in the process of making an ARF/NOOB hybrid panda. Just got my QC for both, but unfortunately the SEL’s are not nearly as nice on my Noob V3. In fact I think they’re pretty bad. Maybe I’m crazy and it’s the lighting combined with the plastic protective sticker, but I doubt it lol... Hoping I just got unlucky on round 1 and this isn’t a repetitive issue.

Oddly enough my ARF donor watch seems to have great SEL’s (pretty flush with case, but lack a little in the recessed department, nevertheless it should be a nice donor when I’m finished with it!)

Let me know what you SEL obsessed guys think...

Noob V3:
cee9820d7350eea4b814e830df95bc96.plist

b525937542615508b273acc50539d55f.plist

41792f7d00c6056dba43e89d42f69300.plist

993cf7f04313abc63282c9582087cdeb.jpg

And here is the ARF donor watch SEL’s:
01c92a9e211cfca4ce2a7e46ebb09eb6.plist

ef66bafaafac229bfb240e2f088a339b.plist

cb35bee044990d4c1926e2500ee33015.plist

95882989108d0f1fe4ed1349d00f0a44.plist

Even the case back shot shows a much better fitting SEL compared to above Noob V3... the noob has terrible fit from the back as well... yuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irinakova

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/20
Hello. I just order this watch from online (NOOB V3). Please can you tell me what I should look for when I receive the quality images to make sure mine is the best quality as I read on here there are some issues. Thank you! )

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Thanks for sharing.

In your opinion, is it worthwhile to upgrade a ARF bezel (V2) to a CF one?

Yes. I have had a number of ARF daytonas and the bezel has faded on all of them.

MadWatcher

Known Member
20/3/19
Having owned about 20 daytonas including about 6 noob, arf, handled and installed countless gen parts including dials, bezels, pushers, crystals etc, I have finally come to a probably unpopular conclusion.
The CF bezel, whilst the most accurate and durable of all of the bezels out there, is not perfect, in fact, it's far from it.
The lettering is too big. It should leave a gap of around 10% either side between the top and the outer edge and the bottom and the crystal edge. The gap is around 5%. This makes the lettering look a touch elongated.
I think CF needs a v2 to be honest.

I read a few people say that the ARF bezel is better because the font is closer to gen but someone also mention the "UNITS PER HOUR" on the ARF is closer to the inside edge. I never noticed it before but now I notice it on every ARF that is posted. Do you also notice that too or is it just me and that person who mentioned it?

If so would that make the Noob V3 bezel after it gets platinum painted the better of the three?

Edit : Looking at the picture of the ARF posted on this page, there's a bigger gap on the top of "UNITS PER HOUR" then on the bottom. The Noob V3 also posted on this thread seem to have it centered between the top and bottom

Last edited:

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I read a few people say that the ARF bezel is better because the font is closer to gen but someone also mention the "UNITS PER HOUR" on the ARF is closer to the inside edge. I never noticed it before but now I notice it on every ARF that is posted. Do you also notice that too or is it just me and that person who mentioned it?

If so would that make that make the Noob V3 bezel after it gets platinum painted the better of the three?

Edit : Looking at the picture of the ARF posted on this page, there's a bigger gap on the top of "UNITS PER HOUR" then on the bottom. The Noob V3 also posted on this thread seem to have it centered between the top and bottom

Noob v2 was totally wrong
Noob v3 is much better
Noob v3 lettering with platinum mod would be magically better than CF on lettering, but CF surface quality is slightly closer to gen
Not much in it really!

MadWatcher

Known Member
20/3/19
Here is a picture of what I mean about the position of the "UNITS PER HOUR"

On the wrist is not noticeable but in pictures it is. I know it's super OCD :silly:

z1A.jpg

z2a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobi01

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Here is a picture of what I mean about the position of the "UNITS PER HOUR"

On the wrist is not noticeable but in pictures it is. I know it's super OCD :silly:

z1A.jpg

z2a.jpg

I can't see the pictures as I'm on tapatalk, but I can imagine what you're posting, and you're correct.

ARF v2 was the gold standard until CF came along. Then noob v3 overtook ARF.

The biggest problems with the noob are still the dial and crystal. The O in ROLEX is still like no previous configuration of a rolex dial and the crystal gasket is still too thick and cloudy.

Whilst ceramic gen dials are still rare and expensive, there is still some merit in using ARF as a donor, but if you can get a dial on its own, that is a better bet. The clasp on the noob is a bit shit but nothing that can't be mitigated with a little refinishing and an ultrasonic bath. The bracelet isn't quite as good but the ARF doesn't fit great anyway and the end link mod makes no financial sense for the minor return you get in quality increase.

The hands can be swapped to gen cheaply if you keep an eye on chrono24 or eBay and are patient, I've switched the crystal and hands to gen on all mine and spent a fraction everyone else building daytonas seems to

Reactions: watchoself

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Current Noob V3 116500 black dial fresh off the factory this week as per Eric from GeekTime (TD in RepGeek). Btw this is not a QC request.

I'm not as experienced with the Daytona series (GMT man here) but the subdials thickness looks just right between too thin and too thick. Second opinions are welcome.
bc923dccf9147af2800d8db9e45a5fb3.jpg
d53926d0b1b127d5084753d42b178eab.jpg

Sent from my DHgate 116500 shitter using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Azur2401

Horology Curious
11/8/20
I know the Noob 4130 clone movement seem to be a pretty good choice. But how about the ARF Movement? Is it as good as the Noob movement just without the chrono function? Which of both movements is easier to repair for a watchsmith? Does a common watchsmith have access to the spare parts of both movements?

Bobi01

2/2/19
I know the Noob 4130 clone movement seem to be a pretty good choice. But how about the ARF Movement? Is it as good as the Noob movement just without the chrono function? Which of both movements is easier to repair for a watchsmith? Does a common watchsmith have access to the spare parts of both movements?

If you get lucky sa4130 movement is better for sure,better power reserve and full chrono work,less noisy... also the ARF can be nice too but you have to mod it a little to make it thinner and better autowind because stock ARF rotor is garbage,not winding well on wrist

Reactions: Azur2401

daytona1994

Known Member
11/10/20
Could anyone explain me the REAL difference between noob/arf/gen bracelet?
i have a noob and I would like to understand if it is better change it into an arf