• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4000$ budget Gen or franken Rep?

houss1981

15/3/17
If you had around 4000$ buget would you

1- franken a 116610LN ARF to gen specs including gen 3135, gen DW, gen dial and bezel insert.....

Or

2-buy the gen omega moonwatch 42mm prof?

please advice

RepHoro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
Georgia
Omega. I doubt you could turn around and sell your 4K franken for half that price even with the 3135 in it. A good chunk of the value of a gen is the peace of mind that it is in fact a gen. A franken watch will always be stigmatized. If you completely disassembled 2 brand new Rolex subs, put all the parts in a plastic bag and shook them up - then had a Rolex watchmaker reassembled them - and then tried to sell the watches being truthful about what you had done - I bet you would take at least at least a 20% hit. You'ld be better off parting it out.

Reactions: r0b9502

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Omega. I doubt you could turn around and sell your 4K franken for half that price even with the 3135 in it. A good chunk of the value of a gen is the peace of mind that it is in fact a gen. A franken watch will always be stigmatized. If you completely disassembled 2 brand new Rolex subs, put all the parts in a plastic bag and shook them up - then had a Rolex watchmaker reassembled them - and then tried to sell the watches being truthful about what you had done - I bet you would take at least at least a 20% hit. You'ld be better off parting it out.

$2k for a franken 116610 with a gen 3135 movement in, gen dial and gen bezel etc? What have you been smoking? You’d be lucky to get any change from $2k just for a 3135 movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Gen Omega. Franken is fun, but the way I see it it's more about the sport to build a watch. For 4k, if you can have the history, the watchmaker, the papers, the guarantee, the brand... it's the real deal, I would not hesitate and go for the Omega.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

RepC

6/9/19
If you have the recources to go gen, then go gen. It doens’t matter if it’s 80% gen, it still doens’t feel like the real thing. And then, it will be an over expensive build. You will spend 4k and still won’t be totally satisfied. All your friends will think it’s a real Rolex masterpiece, but the only one, and the most important person who know’s it isn’t, is you. Just go with the Omega which will be worth your money and wear it with pleasure.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

houss1981

15/3/17
You are 100% right. The only thing that is making me run away from rolex is the shortage on this model. And i wont ever pay a silly premium for it on the grey market.
rolex is loosing clients by their strategy.
After all omega moonwatch is a legendary piece
and a good one to start a watch collection
Omega it is

Last edited:

houss1981

15/3/17

Gen parts for rolex maintain their value as parts. I think even if you would like to resel them afterwards you will get back your money. Rumors say that a new sub in due for next year and the current sub might pick up on value later on

Reactions: AlphaProt

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Go for the gen - but if you’re not absolute on a new one from an AD, shop the grey market a bit. A regular, unexceptional, good condition 3570.50 can be had for $3000+/- without the box and accessories.
I don’t know about you but I don’t wear my watch box - it just takes up space in my house. I think a warranty card is about all I need.

houss1981

15/3/17
Go for the gen - but if you’re not absolute on a new one from an AD, shop the grey market a bit. A regular, unexceptional, good condition 3570.50 can be had for $3000+/- without the box and accessories.
I don’t know about you but I don’t wear my watch box - it just takes up space in my house. I think a warranty card is about all I need.

Unless it is an exceptional vintage piece i prefer to buy new from AD. Note that when you resell your watch it is preferable to have box and papers with it . It gives it more value

Last edited:

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
It always depends,and its always personal preference.
Me personally i wouldnt care about the 116610 in general rep or gen.For you it may be the ultimate watch.
Its fun and frustrating at the same time building a franken but its always a franken.
I d go franken for watches that are not so heavily repped and produced.
For me my grail watch is the 16520,i own one franken with most parts being gen.Spent almost double your budget because i wouldnt justify spending 20k for the gen.

Its always personal preference.Between the two you ve mentioned i d take the Omega.
You should also check some Gen Tudor models as well,like the bb58

houss1981

15/3/17
Their are different ways to fund this projec . See this watch for example. You can buy by negociating a bit the price. Use the movement and sell other parts.
but the idea is it will still be a franken rep despite any gen parts you use.
i understand that this is a projecr that should be done only with rep parts to be gen like.
with 4k budget the best choice is the omega
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date
US$2,900
https://chrono24.app/rolex/oyster-pe...GB&SETCURR=USD

Last edited:

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Good question, good topic. I have often wondered how one can spend some kilobuck on a franken. Realistically, one can only sell such on these forums. I have been tempted to ask this question on various franken sales threads, but havent, for obvious reason of not crapping their thread.

Just speaking for myself, at an average price of $575 for a good rep in today's marketplace, all inclusive, I would consider 7 reps for your stated $4k. Or 8 reps for $500. The problem for me is I dont find 7-8 reps more worth buying. I would rather dispose half of my reps which do not see sunlight.

I am a believer in the NWBIG theory expounded here. I will be in the market for some historically significant Omega, NWBIG for sure, like the moonwatch.

Akuwes710

27/9/15
u would lose money when selling either way, whether its franken sub or gen speedy.

in the end go with what makes you smile when you see it, wind it, wear it.

Just for fun, look into sinn 910 srs flyback

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
If you're looking for investment then gen cartier. They hold their value far better than omega. I speak as a gen omega owner who has lost money

DanniSandi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/17
Mate,

Go with gen if you can afford it and willing to spend that money! You'll avoid all the hassle and problems that might arise when going franken. To tell you a story:

I bought a Noob Daytona 116520 SA4130 with the white dial. The dial looked hideous compared to a gen dial. So I decided to go franken.

- So I bought a gen black dial (green lume) and matching gen hands because the lume of the noob hands didn't match and sent it to watchmaker for installation
- Then I thought the bezel looked really crappy and bought a gen bezel and sent it to watchmaker for installation.
- Then I had some problems with the movement and sent it to watchmaker for service.
- Then I thought the winding experience, screwing/unscrewing the crown wasn't smooth enough, so I bought gen tube and crown and sent it to watchmaker for installation.
- Now I'm unable to screw in the crown because some spring or threading or whatever broke and have to sent it to watchmaker for repair.

:mad:

Go franken if you are going for a ride, can deal with the waiting game of sending the watch back and forth and eventual long term problems with the movement. Or just go gen with peace pf mind! :p

Last edited:

houss1981

15/3/17
If you're looking for investment then gen cartier. They hold their value far better than omega. I speak as a gen omega owner who has lost money

I never considered cartier to be honest. Never thought of it. But yeah ill look at it. Santos mabe is their best model no?

houss1981

15/3/17
I started this thread in order to push people think beyond the hobby. At the end of any franken project you will always be paying plenty of money on a watch that will never be worth it.
rep factories are not willing to master their watches specialy rolex to push you buy each time the new release.
our friend on youtube watchfinder and co just posted an interesting video comparing a 116610LV to an omega seamaster and to be honest he is right.