• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16610 legit check

Galabrax

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/16
Hi guys!

a friend of mine is going to purchase a gen 16610 from 1994, and I wanted to make sure it’s legit because of the price, 6k€ full set unpolished seems pretty cheap..? What do you guys think?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Not a great expert but I saw my share of gens. For me it is fake: pearl and insert look off.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
What is visible in the pics is gen - tritium hands and dial, Luminova service insert - what's inside the watch is anybody's guess.

Why is the price written at the bottom of the pics ?

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Like trip says, it looks ok. I doubt there's much if any glow left to the lume- it's a 25 year old watch. It also might need a service- might want to check on that and having a watchmaker look at it and open the case can't hurt. You said full set so I assume you mean papers, etc. Price is ok- that's about what you'd pay in CONUS on a retail basis.

Galabrax

20/9/16
What is visible in the pics is gen - tritium hands and dial, Luminova service insert - what's inside the watch is anybody's guess.

Why is the price written at the bottom of the pics ?

Ok thank you very much !!
Because he sent me the pictures from the website he found the deal.

Sent from the RWI App

Mushroom

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
22/10/18
It looks like th bezel is new and I would check the year Rolex stopped using open 6/9 DW.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
There is no way that case is unpolished. The lug tops are rounded and the inside edge looks softened. I'm sure it has been polished several times, in fact. Still a fine price, but I don't trust sellers who make dishonest claims. If he's willing to claim it's unpolished when it is not, is he willing to misrepresent the service history, timing performance, etc.?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It looks like th bezel is new and I would check the year Rolex stopped using open 6/9 DW.

Why does the bezel look new ?

Why would you check the year Rolex stopped using open 6& 9 DWs ?

Mushroom

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
22/10/18
Because the watch has a closed 6/9 DW. I am pretty sure they stopped using the open ones in the early 90s for the 16610s

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Because the watch has a closed 6/9 DW. I am pretty sure they stopped using the open ones in the early 90s for the 16610s

If you don't know what you're talking about and do not have the knowledge to answer the OPs question then you shouldn't be answering - it just confuses the issue.

Mushroom

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
22/10/18
tripdog I think I do know what I am talking about. It’s quite clear that you either don’t or are just being awkward. The OP wanted to now if the Rolex was legit by that we assume a gen. based on the 2 pictures a early 16610 should have a open 6/9 date wheel. I know this because I have the same watch from 1988 and it has one.

Before you start saying that I don’t know my gen watches, maybe you should do some research before jumping on peoples comment. This isn’t the first time you have done this.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
tripdog I think I do know what I am talking about. It’s quite clear that you either don’t or are just being awkward. The OP wanted to now if the Rolex was legit by that we assume a gen. based on the 2 pictures a early 16610 should have a open 6/9 date wheel. I know this because I have the same watch from 1988 and it has one.

Before you start saying that I don’t know my gen watches, maybe you should do some research before jumping on peoples comment. This isn’t the first time you have done this.

You are in my section, if I say you don't know what you're talking about it's not to be awkward - it's because it's true.

Calm down, or this will end badly.

Mushroom

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
22/10/18
tripdog again your saying I don’t know what I am on about. If your knowledge is so great, what are your wise words?!

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Mushroom LOL do you not enjoy being a member here? Because it will end pretty quickly the way you’re acting.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
LOL, just to clarify, the open 6/9 DWs on early 16610s went away in the early 1990s- Certainly they were on the R, L, E and maybe X serials, which would be 1991 and I've never seen them after that. But 10 years ago someone was selling the early DWs- they'd found a stash of NOS ones. The DW on the 16610 from 1994 is correct IMO.

Reactions: tripdog