• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A3186 Mods

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
Hi everyone, I've been after a superfranken GMT Master 2 for some time now to no avail.
So I ordered one of the new GMF A3186 GMT Master 2, with hopes of modifying the movement with gen parts.

1. What do you guys think are the gen parts that it needs to make it as reliable as it can without going gen?

2. I'm located in Canada, and was wondering if you guys know of a good watchsmith on the west coast or in Canada that I can send the watch to?

3. Other than ebay, where is a good place to source gen parts? Most places online sell rep/aftermarket parts and I'm a little leery of their quality.

Thanks in advance!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The movement that comes in the CHS reps is not one that can be modded with gen parts. The one in your rep is an ETA 2824 jury rigged by the Chinese with a GMT mod.

The movement that can have gen parts added is an SH3135 which would have to be sourced separately along with gen parts and sent to a skilled watchmaker to create the super franken movement. There may be issues making the SH3135 fit in the 2824 case, I have not tried this. Issues like movement holder, and dial spacer come to mind. The SH3135 base is about $200.

Here's a post from a watcmaker who has done this. The gen parts alone are around $600.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-franken-116710ln-build-w-sh3185-hybrid​​​​​​

Also look here

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...turning-an-sh3135-into-a-franken-3185-or-3186

Reactions: R2L

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Bro, I wouldn’t do it if I were you (turning an SH3135 into a 3185/86. You’ll end up with a flakey movement and be out of pocket for close to $1000 when done.

You have four options as I see it:
1. Buy the ICHS version. Very reliable movement and easily serviced by any competent watch smith.

2. Buy the CHS version and be super careful when changing the time, and pray it does not die on you.

3. Buy a gen 3186 on the flea bay ($2500 or so) and have it installed.

4. Give up on getting a rep GMT-C and go buy a gen.

I’ve owned 6 ICHS GMT’s and none of the movements gave me any problems. I also own two gen 16710’s and used to own the gen Batman, and now wouldn’t go back to buying rep versions of this watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: watchboi and KJ2020

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
KJ2020 Thanks for the threads. Those mods are quite extensive, not just swapping parts in and out, but literally taking precision tools to the main plate. I’m sure a certain amount of risk is involved.

Ride2live I appreciate your honest opinion. I guess for now I should just get the CHS a3186 serviced? Or should I not bother and just see if it dies? Because according to what you say, ultimately I will end up having to go with a gen 3186 or a fully gen watch. Both of which I’m open to, but I would prefer to not pay insanely inflated prices. ie: $3k for a gen movement plus labour is reasonable. $25k for a watch that is really worth $12k retail definitely needs sanity check.

Tobel

6/7/17
If you're thinking of building a batman (which the price mentioned seems to indicate), it's even less worth it IMO given that there is no insert that closely matches the gen.

If you want a 116710LN then you can find some on chrono24 for 9/10k USD, which given the costs mentioned above make the DIY movement not worth it IMO as you'll still end up with a rep.

If I were you I would either go ICHS - which TBH is not that noticeable - or gen 116710LN. Unless you have a good relationship with an AD and can get your name on the waitlist for a batman (or batgirl now ;)

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
KJ2020 Thanks for the threads. Those mods are quite extensive, not just swapping parts in and out, but literally taking precision tools to the main plate. I’m sure a certain amount of risk is involved.

Ride2live I appreciate your honest opinion. I guess for now I should just get the CHS a3186 serviced? Or should I not bother and just see if it dies? Because according to what you say, ultimately I will end up having to go with a gen 3186 or a fully gen watch. Both of which I’m open to, but I would prefer to not pay insanely inflated prices. ie: $3k for a gen movement plus labour is reasonable. $25k for a watch that is really worth $12k retail definitely needs sanity check.

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
Tobel you’re correct in that I’m thinking of building a BLNR or BLRO. Because I already have a gen GMT Master LN. So I know what all the rage is about. I just can’t justify the 10k bump in price just so I can get a different coloured bezel and GMT hand.

And from what I can see, my breakdown is:

GMF BLNR or BLRO rep: $500
Gen 3186 Movement: $3000
I can get a somewhat decent rep with reliable movement for less than $4k with change!

Unless I’m missing something major in my breakdown. By all means lay it on me :)

Tobel

6/7/17
Tobel you’re correct in that I’m thinking of building a BLNR or BLRO. Because I already have a gen GMT Master LN. So I know what all the rage is about. I just can’t justify the 10k bump in price just so I can get a different coloured bezel and GMT hand.

And from what I can see, my breakdown is:

GMF BLNR or BLRO rep: $500
Gen 3186 Movement: $3000
I can get a somewhat decent rep with reliable movement for less than $4k with change!

Unless I’m missing something major in my breakdown. By all means lay it on me :)

You'll need to buy gen hands as well, as the ones from your rep watch will not fit. And you'll likely want a gen datewheel and crystal.

Up to you but more than 4k for a rep that will have misaligned rehaut engraving and an ok but not perfect bezel insert is not really worth it IMO. But that's up to you ;)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Just get the rep batman, set the time once and leave it on a winder. Thats what i did with my chs and its never given me any issues. Just make sure you use the hands to put it forward at the end of 30 day months not the gmt function. Its a few hundred quid rather than a few thousand, gen batman parts are also hard to get.

Reactions: Willmac

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
Dr Fun Socks did you get the ICHS serviced? Most of the reps I got, ARF, Noob, etc almost all of them needed to be serviced immediately upon receipt. If I was to go the ICHS route, I might as well just swap in a Rado or Tissot movement if they are available with GMT function. The labour would be about the same, and only a few hundred dollars in parts, but at least the movement won’t grind itself to death.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Dr Fun Socks did you get the ICHS serviced? Most of the reps I got, ARF, Noob, etc almost all of them needed to be serviced immediately upon receipt. If I was to go the ICHS route, I might as well just swap in a Rado or Tissot movement if they are available with GMT function. The labour would be about the same, and only a few hundred dollars in parts, but at least the movement won’t grind itself to death.

I have the chs movement mate, the way i see it is your probably going to spend as much getting a movement serviced as you would getting a new one should the worst happen. Just wear it until you get problems, if you get any problems. Im not saying it isnt worth getting it serviced, if it gives you peace of mind go for it. Dropping a few thousand on a gen movement just for the sake of reliability seems extreme though. The chinese are good at copying things, even movements.

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
I agree with Dr Fun Socks above. The CHS movement has parts that are very poor quality which may break even when handled carefully during a service by a rep friendly watch smith. So they may issue a caveat ahead of time and should anything break, you’ll need to source another movement from a TD.

In the event the ICHS clone dies on you, you can always source a gen ETA 2836 and have a competent watch smith swap out the gmt bits onto your new movement, and you are good to go. The ICHS gmt parts are usually very solid and not as flimsy as the CHS parts are. I had dropped an Exp II on a tile floor and messed up the movement. Got a gen eta 2836 and the gmt parts fit very well. Worked perfectly after it was fixed.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I agree with Dr Fun Socks above. The CHS movement has parts that are very poor quality which may break even when handled carefully during a service by a rep friendly watch smith. So they may issue a caveat ahead of time and should anything break, you’ll need to source another movement from a TD.

In the event the ICHS clone dies on you, you can always source a gen ETA 2836 and have a competent watch smith swap out the gmt bits onto your new movement, and you are good to go. The ICHS gmt parts are usually very solid and not as flimsy as the CHS parts are. I had dropped an Exp II on a tile floor and messed up the movement. Got a gen eta 2836 and the gmt parts fit very well. Worked perfectly after it was fixed.

Do you think the new GMF/BP/DJF 3186 clones are going to be any better than the noob iterations? Or just as flimsy?

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Do you think the new GMF/BP/DJF 3186 clones are going to be any better than the noob iterations? Or just as flimsy?

Following the history of rep CHS movements over the last 10+ years, I’d want to see a full breakdown of the movement before taking the plunge and buying one of these. Maybe this new one will turn out to be like the 4130 found in Daytona’s, or yet another poorly built piece of junk. Noob spent a lot of money on the 4130 and the movement turned out to be decent. If these guys did the same with their 3186, then I’m cautiously optimistic but will wait and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

At best they will be the same as Noob. At worst they be even worse. Much of what I've seen from recent BP/GMF offerings show clear indications of corner cutting. The first batches of the RG ICHS GMT were good as you know but lately I'm disappointed with these models. Rehaut engravings are bad, bezels are lousy, inserts not good, sharp bracelets. No thanks.

15614770510691.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18