• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sea Dweller 126600 Noob vs ARF - Have you owned both? Please help.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm still debating with myself what the best SD 126600 is. I don't mind modding. I have ordered an SD crystal from Prof and I've got a date wheel from BK on its way as I was going to go with the ARF and these two things need improving.

There is a lot on this forum about ARF and very minimal amounts on the noob.
The ARF up to very recently was classed as a super rep, but has had its status removed as a super rep due to the date wheel text being an instant tell.

However, upon my travels around this forum I have stumbled upon the Noob... where there are several improvements/differences. Such as the lume colour being duller, which is gloser to gen. The hour markers having a curve rather than straight edged. But then the negatives being that the bracelet/clasp isn't as good? The SEL's too.

What is the opinion of anyone who's had both?
What do you think I should do?

What makes the best modded platform?

I'm wondering if it's worth taking the Noob watch head... attaching the ARF clasp/bracelet. Changing the case-back for the ARF. Change the crystal on the noob for my prof and call it a day. As I think the noob's crystal is higher than the gen. So changing the crystal to one of prof;'s should fix that right?

Or do I keep it simple and get the ARF. Mod the crystal and date wheel and call it a day. Do the noobs dial differences not matter that much?

So have you had both?
Do you have pictures side by side?
What have you done?
What would you do?

Thank you very much for any input and help on this subject. I know it's entirely subjective. But it would be nice to hear from people that have owned both or modified either version.

Kind regards,

James

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve1970

Neo_one

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/3/19
Wow, making a new thread just to answer questions that have already been pointed out through 100's of posts.

Best things to do is buy both and keep the one you like more. Sell the other. There's loads of ARF sea-dwellers popping up on M2M sales. You could snag one pre-owned for a fair price.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I have both. My Noob is BK modded. My ARF is a v2 with good date wheel and Prof Xtal. I prefer my ARF (I’m wearing it now). If you can get your hands on a v2 I think you will be happier and save some money. Get the Prof Xtal no matter which one you choose. It’s really amazing. I have Steve’s crystal on several of my Rollies. Can’t imagine one without it now.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I have both. My Noob is BK modded. My ARF is a v2 with good date wheel and Prof Xtal. I prefer my ARF (I’m wearing it now). If you can get your hands on a v2 I think you will be happier and save some money. Get the Prof Xtal no matter which one you choose. It’s really amazing. I have Steve’s crystal on several of my Rollies. Can’t imagine one without it now.

Would you be able to post pictures? That would be fantastic! I'd love to see both side by side. One of my options would be to get the V3 based upon your advice and put the prof crystal + change the date wheel. Then at some point get the bezel coated in platinum...

But what is your opinion on the dials? I've heard that the lume is better on the noob, it looks less white?

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Oh and I ordered Steve's crystal and a date wheel from BK a while ago actually so it's all on route to me as we speak. I just have to get the SD43 haha :p

Last edited:

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
Hmm, i think arf V3, prof or gen xtal, noob dw or gen, swiss eta, and spongebob PPM.

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
Some changed the dial to noob too..

thescorpiusgroup

13/11/15
I am going to opine and state that perhaps the Noob is the better version since you see more Arf SDs for sale on M2M?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I am going to opine and state that perhaps the Noob is the better version since you see more Arf SDs for sale on M2M?

So you're stating an opinion, based upon volume. Fantastic logic.
(Ever considered, there are more ARFS because they could be better? Or the fact that Noob are currently shut down. Or the fact noob dont produce as many SD's?)

You have also never owned either, double fantastic logic.

Triple, this thread is really for people who have had both. Ie, have the ability to compare their purchases. As that's what I want to hear about... not your opinion based upon nothing but volume of M2M transactions.... which as stated previously means very little.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
(Ever considered, there are more ARFS because they could be better? Or the fact that Noob are currently shut down. Or the fact noob dont produce as many SD's?)

Triple, this thread is really for people who have had both. Ie, have the ability to compare their purchases. As that's what I want to hear about... not your opinion based upon nothing but volume of M2M transactions.... which as stated previously means very little.

Easy mate, I hear that the logic is not great, but you're opening a topic of conversation so that people can say what they think. You can disagree with folks and challenge their assumptions, but please don't treat people in a harsh way just because they are not telling you want you want to hear or provide you with the information you are seeking. This is not the helpdesk for some product that you have paid for, it's a public forum

Reactions: Neo_one

thescorpiusgroup

13/11/15

If you would research my previous posts, you'll see that I purchased an Arf v2 via M2M earlier this year. I don't have any experience with the Noob.

However, one could deduce that the lack of Noob SDs trading on the M2M could mean that since the supply is low, those who have purchased the Noob model are happy with their purchase and less willing to part with it for whatever reason. Same supply/demand logic applies to any item/good/commodity.

Reactions: Neo_one

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
If you would research my previous posts, you'll see that I purchased an Arf v2 via M2M earlier this year. I don't have any experience with the Noob.

However, one could deduce that the lack of Noob SDs trading on the M2M could mean that since the supply is low, those who have purchased the Noob model are happy with their purchase and less willing to part with it for whatever reason. Same supply/demand logic applies to any item/good/commodity.

So why deal in the imaginary and the intangible? Why not make a comment about your ARF, whether or not you're happy. What mods you have done to it / would like to do? Why talk about possibilities? There's a possibility of anything.

The entire reason I made this thread was so that I could get information from people, not more speculation. Not random thoughts for the day. I want to hear what you and others think about noob vs arf. From their first hand experience. It's a subjective matter so you have to take peoples opinions with a bit of salt, but you're not posting anything helpful or even opinionated. It's purely speculation and "what if". It's simply unnecessary. Just completely superfluous posting.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
As per our PM's. I've only owned the ARF. I got it just over a year ago, and the date was fine. The teeth were a bit pointy, but i posted a mod anyone can do to fix it. The later versions fixed the bezel teeth anyway.

What struck me when i got it was how well made it was. There was zero play on anything. It was perfect - and it made my Noob v7 Subs look and feel like the fake watches that they are.

I don't know how far Noob have come since the v7. All I know is the ARF Sea Dweller was on a totally different level.

I think most people would be happy with either. Forget the macroscopic details they dont mean much - what gives them both away from 10 feet is the crystal - both need a profs / gen crystal upgrade.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
As per our PM's. I've only owned the ARF. I got it just over a year ago, and the date was fine. The teeth were a bit pointy, but i posted a mod anyone can do to fix it. The later versions fixed the bezel teeth anyway.

What struck me when i got it was how well made it was. There was zero play on anything. It was perfect - and it made my Noob v7 Subs look and feel like the fake watches that they are.

I don't know how far Noob have come since the v7. All I know is the ARF Sea Dweller was on a totally different level.

I think most people would be happy with either. Forget the macroscopic details they dont mean much - what gives them both away from 10 feet is the crystal - both need a profs / gen crystal upgrade.

Hey,

Thanks for replying and the PM's. It's good to hear such feedback. It's very interesting to hear that the SD43 made you hold your Subs in a different light... that's is quite the compliment.
Out of interest, have you modified yours at all?

I think as it stands. After quite a bit of thinking on it. I'll probably just buy the V3 from ARF and get a Prof Black hole + a date wheel overlay and see how I feel about that. Later on I might consider doing a dial transplant from a noob... the only problem is having to buy the full noob watch to do that, since I imagine sourcing a dial/hands from noob would be very hard.

Thanks again!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Hey,

Thanks for replying and the PM's. It's good to hear such feedback. It's very interesting to hear that the SD43 made you hold your Subs in a different light... that's is quite the compliment.
Out of interest, have you modified yours at all?

I think as it stands. After quite a bit of thinking on it. I'll probably just buy the V3 from ARF and get a Prof Black hole + a date wheel overlay and see how I feel about that. Later on I might consider doing a dial transplant from a noob... the only problem is having to buy the full noob watch to do that, since I imagine sourcing a dial/hands from noob would be very hard.

Thanks again!

I think a lot of the folks here had the same comment when they started receiving theirs at the end of 17 / early 18 - the rep world had entered a new paradigm.

At the moment its stock. I'd post a picture but the image thingamajigga has shit the bed.

I'm going to practice some on one of my old v7's and when I'm satisfied I'm not going to wreck everything I'll get a profs xtal.

In my opinion the crystal is the biggest givaway on modern reps. This chat about the macroscopic stuff is insignificant in comparison.

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I think a lot of the folks here had the same comment when they started receiving theirs at the end of 17 / early 18 - the rep world had entered a new paradigm.

At the moment its stock. I'd post a picture but the image thingamajigga has shit the bed.

I'm going to practice some on one of my old v7's and when I'm satisfied I'm not going to wreck everything I'll get a profs xtal.

In my opinion the crystal is the biggest givaway on modern reps. This chat about the macroscopic stuff is insignificant in comparison.

Thanks again, and yeah probably wise to practice first. You're braver than I am... I'm going to send mine to Ado to get modded.
I would like to learn how to mod watches myself in the future. At least be able to do some of the more basics myself.

As for the macro stuff... yeah you probably can't notice the 12 6 9 markers being not rounded off when actually looking at watch as normal.
I think the only thing macro that bothers me is the lume is very white on the ARF. The Gen is a bit more ivory... but that really is nit picking.

I'd probably not notice unless it was next to a Gen.

https://youtu.be/_1idZQu_fqI?t=375

I watch this quite a bit, almost every day to help me get to the right decision haha... and you can see the difference in colour is quite slight.

RandyC

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/19
I am contemplating getting an SD43 as well and during my research on the forum I stumbled on this thread. Sonofalich I have the same conundrum as you- referring to your opening post. Not sure if you have made a decision, but if you have could you please share which factory and version of the watch have you decided to go with and what are the mods you have finalized?

Steve1970

Looking Around
13/11/20
I have just been sold a noob v10 but the glass is really high, and the seller is sending me an arf. But i want them both modded into one with new datewheel, crystal and a bit work but who do i goto for modding please

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
I have just been sold a noob v10 but the glass is really high, and the seller is sending me an arf. But i want them both modded into one with new datewheel, crystal and a bit work but who do i goto for modding please

Hello and :welcome:

Where are you located?