• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DW alignment on ARF SD43 V3

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It is possible to fix vertical alignment issues on most reps, including this one.

However, yours is fine I believe. I'll repost some info I posted before.

​The way to determine if a datewheel is centered.

You need to use the cyclops and date window framing relationship. Only when the date window is perfectly framed (top, bottom, left, right) by the cyclops will the true picture of the datewheel / date window relationship be revealed. If the cyclops frame on the date window appears wide (thicker) on one edge (top, bottom, left, right), it will push the apparent position of the datewheel to the opposite side of the date window.

If the cyclops appears wider on the right, a properly centered datewheel will look left justified.

If the cyclops appears wider on the left, a properly centered datewheel will look right justified.

If the cyclops appears wider on the top, a properly centered datewheel will look bottom justified.

If the cyclops appears wider on the bottom, a properly centered datewheel will look top justified.

Only when the date window is perfectly framed by the cyclops will you be able to assess the true position of the datewheel relative to the date window.

Look at the pics below of my gen GMT to see how a wide cyclops on the right edge pushes the appearance of the datewheel to the left side of the date window. In the second pic the date window is better framed by the cyclops and the true position of the datewheel can be seen.
15332963645250.jpg

15307274583490.jpg

Reactions: SWI

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
It is possible to fix vertical alignment issues on most reps, including this one.

However, yours is fine I believe. I'll repost some info I posted before.

​The way to determine if a datewheel is centered.

You need to use the cyclops and date window framing relationship. Only when the date window is perfectly framed (top, bottom, left, right) by the cyclops will the true picture of the datewheel / date window relationship be revealed. If the cyclops frame on the date window appears wide (thicker) on one edge (top, bottom, left, right), it will push the apparent position of the datewheel to the opposite side of the date window.

If the cyclops appears wider on the right, a properly centered datewheel will look left justified.

If the cyclops appears wider on the left, a properly centered datewheel will look right justified.

If the cyclops appears wider on the top, a properly centered datewheel will look bottom justified.

If the cyclops appears wider on the bottom, a properly centered datewheel will look top justified.

Only when the date window is perfectly framed by the cyclops will you be able to assess the true position of the datewheel relative to the date window.

Look at the pics below of my gen GMT to see how a wide cyclops on the right edge pushes the appearance of the datewheel to the left side of the date window. In the second pic the date window is better framed by the cyclops and the true position of the datewheel can be seen.
15332963645250.jpg

15307274583490.jpg

Also the date itself? To me it seems like the date printing just sits really low in the opening (the white space above the date printing seems to be bigger than the space beneath) It might just be me that's seeing things.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Also the date itself? To me it seems like the date printing just sits really low in the opening (the white space above the date printing seems to be bigger than the space beneath) It might just be me that's seeing things.

That's what my post above explains. Look at your cyclops compared to the date window. You have a wide (fat) LOOKING cyclops border on top of your date window. It LOOKS this way because of the angle at which the pic was taken.

From my post

"If the cyclops appears wider on the top, a properly centered datewheel will look bottom justified."

Your date LOOKS bottom justified (low) in the date window, also because of the angle at which the pic was taken.

That is the whole point of my post, that we would know a date is REALLY OK if it LOOKS low and the cyclops LOOKS wide on top of the date window. The date should look low if the cyclops looks wide on top.

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
That's what my post above explains. Look at your cyclops compared to the date window. You have a wide (fat) LOOKING cyclops border on top of your date window. It LOOKS this way because of the angle at which the pic was taken.

From my post

"If the cyclops appears wider on the top, a properly centered datewheel will look bottom justified."

Your date LOOKS bottom justified (low) in the date window, also because of the angle at which the pic was taken.

That is the whole point of my post, that we would know a date is REALLY OK if it LOOKS low and the cyclops LOOKS wide on top of the date window. The date should look low if the cyclops looks wide on top.

Ah damn, I was sleeping in class again.. But thank you so much for explaining it once again, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
Mine ARF one look not aligned as well, just a common problem?

I got some more pictures of the watch I posted, and the datewheel is aligned, but the cyclops is crooked. I think it’s a common problem on the ARF 126600

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Your cyclops doesn't look positioned crookedly to me but the bottom edge of it is not exactly parallel to the top edge. So it wasn't cut evenly. It doesn't look bad, I have some stock crystals worse than this. Most Rolex rep crystals and datewheels should really be replaced on models yoh plan to keep. The non AR glare of your cyclops will bother you far more than this slightly uneven cyclops edge I think. Compare cyclops edges to date window edges for accurate assessment.

15564580231230.jpg

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
Your cyclops doesn't look positioned crookedly to me but the bottom edge of it is not exactly parallel to the top edge. So it wasn't cut evenly. It doesn't look bad, I have some stock crystals worse than this. Most Rolex rep crystals and datewheels should really be replaced on models yoh plan to keep. The non AR glare of your cyclops will bother you far more than this slightly uneven cyclops edge I think. Compare cyclops edges to date window edges for accurate assessment.

15564580231230.jpg

edb1722846696a6a06d882eee9315d66.jpg

Yea I don’t really think that it would bother me, it’s just when you zoom in on pictures and you get to see everything up close, all the flaws pop out. I even did a google search and it seems like some people even have crooked cyclopses on their gens. I think my plan is, if I decide to buy the watch. I would probaly begin to look for a replacement crystal. I just need to find someone close that can do the job.

Reactions: KJ2020 and 2001025

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Yea I don’t really think that it would bother me, it’s just when you zoom in on pictures and you get to see everything up close, all the flaws pop out. I even did a google search and it seems like some people even have crooked cyclopses on their gens. I think my plan is, if I decide to buy the watch. I would probaly begin to look for a replacement crystal. I just need to find someone close that can do the job.

Good plan. Your cyclops bottom edge does indeed diverge away and is not parallel.

Reactions: WOTS

charmandad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/19

It is just a common problem for the cyclop to be not aligned perfectly

charmandad

12/2/19
one out of five will have a perfect aligned cyclop I think, also you should discover that the magnification of the cyclop is not correct. One easy solution for this is to just remove the cyclop, anyway SD43 look way better without the cyclop in my opinion.

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
one out of five will have a perfect aligned cyclop I think, also you should discover that the magnification of the cyclop is not correct. One easy solution for this is to just remove the cyclop, anyway SD43 look way better without the cyclop in my opinion.

I’m thinking about maybe getting the new Arf Sub SH3135V2 or the Arf DSSD instead.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
I’m thinking about maybe getting the new Arf Sub SH3135V2 or the Arf DSSD instead.

You could just remove the crystal and rotate it up slightly. The top cut and bottom cut of the cyclops looks okay the crystal is just off axis. Check where the semi invisible etched crown @6 is an wether it lines up with your dial marker @6 or not.
The deepsea is a good option but more flaws on that hat than the SD43.
Eg. Rehaut engraving doesn’t line up
OGEV engraving doesn’t line up
crystal hight is too high
the platinum marker paint is already wearing off on mine and it’s only a few months old

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
You could just remove the crystal and rotate it up slightly. The top cut and bottom cut of the cyclops looks okay the crystal is just off axis. Check where the semi invisible etched crown @6 is an wether it lines up with your dial marker @6 or not.
The deepsea is a good option but more flaws on that hat than the SD43.
Eg. Rehaut engraving doesn’t line up
OGEV engraving doesn’t line up
crystal hight is too high
the platinum marker paint is already wearing off on mine and it’s only a few months old

Yea it seems like the deepsea took a step back from the previous Arf version.. I have gone back a bit and I am now considering either the PPF nautilus, or the AP diver.. Still looking a bit at the Arf Sub.

charmandad

12/2/19
It is actully common for a rep to have all sorts of small problems, you should expect wrong hand length, misaligned markers and so on from PF nautilus or APs.

WOTS

Known Member
8/8/17
It is actully common for a rep to have all sorts of small problems, you should expect wrong hand length, misaligned markers and so on from PF nautilus or APs.

Also on the PPF version? I thought the JF AP 15703 V9.5 Diver was a super rep?