• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona Panda Bezel Paint Mod

HotNHorny

Known Member
21/7/19
I think it’s dark silver like finish. Maybe a silver paint will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
Now, clean factory produce daytona bezel. You can check on jtimes. good news for us who own noob ceramic daytona.

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
It does look great but it needs to be in the grey/silver

SliverSurfer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/5/18
Hey guys,

Borrwing this thread a bit. About to repaint my 116520 bezel as the engravings have started to wear off. Bought Humbrol Black Gloss 21 enamel and some Humbrol Thinner. My
plan is to clean the remaining paint from the engravings, clean the bezel, apply some colour using either a super thin brush I bought or a toothpick, then remove the excess paint using the thinner, and finally polish with a microfibre cloth. Having search various forums and post I’m still a bit uncertain to whether the thinner should work to clean the excess paint? I’ve seen people using Silicon remover or even aceton.

Grateful for any tips you guys have to share.

Thanks,
S

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Hey guys,

Borrwing this thread a bit. About to repaint my 116520 bezel as the engravings have started to wear off. Bought Humbrol Black Gloss 21 enamel and some Humbrol Thinner. My
plan is to clean the remaining paint from the engravings, clean the bezel, apply some colour using either a super thin brush I bought or a toothpick, then remove the excess paint using the thinner, and finally polish with a microfibre cloth. Having search various forums and post I’m still a bit uncertain to whether the thinner should work to clean the excess paint? I’ve seen people using Silicon remover or even aceton.

Thanks,
S

You can scratch off any remaining paint with some Pegwood. I think others have also used a blade.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Hey guys,

Thanks,
S

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2snznS3sk

Quite a good tip here using plastic to scrap of paint

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I would try an alcohol wipe first to remove excess paint. I actually use lens cleaner wipes until they dry out, then re-soak them with alcohol. Wave them around in the air to let the alcohol dry out some and then re-use them 4 -5 times. They are soft and durable and don't leave scratches. But don't be overly aggressive with them either. These are perfect for cleaning crystal BTW, that's why I first got them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If alcohol won't do it, acetone is my next step (Goof Off). Use a TINY amount and left it air dry on the wipe before swiping it across the bezel surface. It won't hurt SS or ceramic.

Last edited:

SliverSurfer

10/5/18
I would try an alcohol wipe first to remove excess paint. I actually use lens cleaner wipes until they dry out, then re-soak them with alcohol. Wave them around in the air to let the alcohol dry out some and then re-use them 4 -5 times. They are soft and durable and don't leave scratches. But don't be overly aggressive with them either. These are perfect for cleaning crystal BTW, that's why I first got them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If alcohol won't do it, acetone is my next step (Goof Off). Use a TINY amount and left it air dry on the wipe before swiping it across the bezel surface. It won't hurt SS or ceramic.

Let the paint dry for 20-30m then tried to wipe it with aceton and q-tip. It took all the paint in he engravings with it. Think I might have used too thick paint - should maybe had dilute it with some thinner? Now it’s all cleaned up again. Will do another attempt tomorrow.
https://imgur.com/a/JmduOJN

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Let the paint dry for 20-30m then tried to wipe it with aceton and q-tip. It took all the paint in he engravings with it. Think I might have used too thick paint - should maybe had dilute it with some thinner? Now it’s all cleaned up again. Will do another attempt tomorrow.
https://imgur.com/a/JmduOJN

I wouldn't use a Q-tip, they are too bulbous and hairy. You need to use an alcohol or better yet a lens cleaning wipe (virtually scratch free, even when dry but don't push it) which is ultra thin and won't dip into the engraving at all and drag paint away from it.

Also just a tiny bit of acetone, air dried a little on the wipe. The excess paint should not come off in one swipe, that's how you know you're amount of acetone is right. Might take 4 or 5 swipes and some medium pressure.

Last edited:

SliverSurfer

10/5/18
I wouldn't use a Q-tip, they are too bulbous and hairy. You need to use wipe which is ultra thin and won't dip into the engraving at all and drag paint away from it.

Also just a tiny bit of acetone, air dried a little on the wipe. The excess paint should not come off in one swipe, that's how you know you're amount of acetone is right. Might take 4 or 5 swipes and some medium pressure.

Hmm ok. No access to wipes atm. Aceton + kitchen towels/cotton works? Otherwise Will try to source some wipes tomorrow

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hmm ok. No access to wipes atm. Aceton + kitchen towels/cotton works? Otherwise Will try to source some wipes tomorrow

I wouldn't use paper towels, especially on an SS bezel. It will scratch it. Cotton will have same result as Q-tip. You could try a really tight mesh micro fibre cloth pulled taut over your finger, you would need protection on your finger from the Goof off. Saran wrap your finger, pull a micro fiber cloth tight over it, dip it in some Goof off, wave it around in the air or in front of a fan. Then swipe over the engraving without pushing the cloth into the recess. This is how I used to do it before finding a better way.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've also read about one member using a toothpick to push the excess paint off a bezel without touching the paint inside the markers. Seems like that would be pretty tedious, but his result was perfect. I believe that bezel was ceramic which is more resistant to scratching so maybe something with a soft tip to just drag the paint off. An eraser tip maybe? An old soft tip stylus?

SliverSurfer

10/5/18
I've also read about one member using a toothpick to push the excess paint off a bezel without touching the paint inside the markers. Seems like that would be pretty tedious, but his result was perfect. I believe that bezel was ceramic which is more resistant to scratching so maybe something with a soft tip to just drag the paint off. An eraser tip maybe? An old soft tip stylus?

Thanks mate! I I actually used a hybrid - microfiber cloth + aceton, and the toothpick for a more narrow push around the numbers. Worked ok ish. Had to redo the paint two times as the paint came off using the aceton method. I think the problem might be that the depth of the engravings are too shallow. It looks better now but I will do another stroke of paint on the “0” around 3 and 6 a clock.

Reactions: KJ2020

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
ZAJGSk.jpg

Good tips in this thread. I used a mix of two Kreul acryl matte colors, pastel white and silver in a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio.

I used pastel white as it already has a light beige tint.

​​​​​​What you guys think?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ZAJGSk.jpg

Good tips in this thread. I used a mix of two Kreul acryl matte colors, pastel white and silver in a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio.

I used pastel white as it already has a light beige tint.

​​​​​​What you guys think?

That looks nice bro. So it's acrylic paint and 2/3 white? How did you remove the overspill?

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
That looks nice bro. So it's acrylic paint and 2/3 white? How did you remove the overspill?

Thanks. I removed the overspill by waiting a few minutes then going over with the felt pen tips I bought.

It is pastel white matte and silver matte by a company named Kreul, here in germany. And yes, acrylic paint. As mentioned above I bought a set like these:
https://www.kirch-onlineshop.de/Cop...opic-Marker-Inhalt-9-Stueck-sortiert?curr=EUR
used one to apply and used a new one to remove the overspill. Then slid over the rest with a flat velours.

Google Kreul Acryl.

The White is kind of off-white-ish so need for beige, as it already goes in the beige color.

Last edited: