• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Budget $500 ish Hulk Comparison, ARF 2824 vs VRF Max 2836 with prof crystal (Many Pictures)

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Budget $500 ish Hulk Comparison, ARF 2824 vs VRF Max 2836 with prof crystal (Many Pictures)

I joined Rwi since Dec 2018 and learned a lot from this forum. After experiencing and enjoying a couple of reps, I would like to contribute back to the community and help new members to choose a good hulk in a budget. Around $500 ish range. New member always asks which factory or model is the best out of the box hulk. After reading and searching the forum (wife yelling at me all the time cause I read til midnight), I came to a conclusion that ARF 2824 907 Land VRF Max 2836 are the best OOTB king with reliable movement. I am lucky enough to get a hand on these two models by m2m. So let do a comparison side by side.

ARF is always on the right/first and VRF is always on the left/second.

You can tell by the dial also. ARF has the old dial with short f and ”300 m”. VRF has the new dial with long f and ”300m”.

Please note that the comment below is just my experience with these two watches and my humble opinion. I am no expert.

1. Price Breakdown (if you buy new from TD)
Please note that my VRF has prof crystal installed and my ARF is stock.

ARF

$478 plus shipping (around $30 to the USA)

Total investment: $508

Of coz, you can update to prof crystal. Then you will add $208 plus shipping into your investment.

VRF
$358 to $388 plus shipping (around $30 to USA), prof crystal and installation by Steve $208 plus shipping in the USA ($8)

Total investment: $574

2. Case

ARF has 907L
VRF has 316L

Both very solid, cannot tell any difference.

3. Dial

ARF has the old dial with short f and ”300 m”. VRF has the new dial with long f and ”300m”.

For VRF MAX, smoke said the old bp dial with short f and ”300 m” is matching the rehaut for the period. He also pointed out the Rolex Service center doesn't give a shit on matching period. For example, you bring a 2010 hulk into service today, the dial is damaged, Rolex will replace a new 2019 style dial, they won't find a 2010 dial. So if Rolex doesn't care, why would we care?

You can read more here.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...53611-sub-c-double-line-engraved-rehaut/page2

The light reflection on both watches are very beautiful.

4. Print / text

For ARF, there is a gap between"S" and "W” of ”SWISS MADE” in the bottom.

And the 6 o'clock mark to "swiss made", the space seems more correct on VRF than ARF.

5. Hands

The hour and minute hands seems more slim like gen on VRF.

6. Lume

Both ARF and VRF lume are very outstanding and long lasting with nice blue color.

7. Date font and alignment

VRF
Some dates between 6-18 appear slightly left justified. Seems like a common case on the VRF Max.

ARF
I heard the new batch has the fat ugly font. But this one I have on hand is the early batch with decent date font.

8. Rehaut

ARF

The rehaut is perfectly aligned.

VRF

The rehaut is misaligned from the TD. This might be a QC issue of the factory on some batches. The member sold me this watch bought it to his watchsmith to fix. It is perfectly aligned now.

9. Crystal

I cannot compare them apple to Apple because ARF has stock crystal but VRF has prof crystal. However, as you can see, stock ARF crystal is already really good quality. Please note that Prof crystal doesn't have the laser crown logo on the 6 o'clock. But the laser logo is very hard to see on gen so I don't think it is an issue.

10. Insert

People always say VRF makes the best insert. I compared them. I can tell the numbers on ARF is a little fatter than VRF. VRF is a little lighter in color.

11. Bezel

Both ARF and VRF turns very good. I think the VRF is a little tighter than ARF.

12. Sel end link

Both of them have tight and nice sel end link. Please see the pictures.

13. Crown

Both watches are using ETA cone, so the position will be wrong. However, I don't see any gap between the crown and the case on VRF. ARF does have a tiny gap. Not sure if it is only on this batch.

14. Bracelet

ARF has 907L and VRF has 316L. They are both very solid. I really cannot tell any different by touching and wearing them. So I will say 907 and 316 don't matter to me.

However, ARF is a little easier to resize, the screws are smoother.

15. Clasp

Both glidelock are functional. VRF is a little smoother than ARF. But I am not sure if it is because my ARF is a little older or needs cleaning.

ARF safety lock is a little smoother and easier to open and close.

Conclusion

To be honest, you can not go wrong with either one. I can not tell you which one is better. But a side by side comparison should give you a chance to see every part of these two watches and facilitate your decision.

Hope this help new members to choose the right version of hulk they like and within the budget. Please let me know if you have any comments. If you ask me, I kept my VRF MAX because I think prof crystal is a must. I actually wanted to keep both, but needed the fund…...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renowned Member
9/12/18
419ab3d50529b5e506d258a16b946066.jpg
10ff282927dede8e72f47091ec6cc4d6.jpg
2d853098761d502e078abb312d5e338d.jpg
a9465f6f4d1add5625f2e6e5531f877f.jpg

Reactions: alanball9438

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY
904l
does this review go for the ln (black) version too???
Great review
thx very much

Renowned Member
9/12/18
904l
does this review go for the ln (black) version too???
Great review
thx very much

Thanks buddy!

I think the everything will be the same between ARF 2824 Ln and LV except the dial and insert. Same for VRF.

I don’t have ARf black sub but I have an ARF SD43. I like the black insert on that watch!

Reactions: rolexppapfan

boomerknox

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/5/18
CONUS
Fantastic review. I must say I’m in agreeance with 100% of what you said. Either will be a great choice, they are both beautiful watches!

After all said and done though do you think the ARF is worth $100 more ootb (if 316 vs 904 doesn’t matter)?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Thanks for the review! Great photos.

The lugs look ugly on the ARF. Too fat and blocly and wrong shaped. I’m waiting for my ARF ln to arrive. I’m really hoping it’s less obvious on the the wrist. I guess the bracelet is better on the ARF.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Did you mean ARF is left, not right? Sorry if I'm getting confused ;)

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
As I already answered the TO:

It was the right decidion to keep the VRF I think. ARF has got many flaws:

1) Hour hand too slim compared to the minute hand
2) Cyclops wrong
3) Date font just not right
4) 12 hour marker position too close to the rehaut
5) Sharp cornered 12, 6 and 9 o‘clock markers
6) Crystal protudes a bit too much over the bezel
7) Bezel engravings too deep and not centered esp. „50“
8) CG shape
9) Lugs fat
10) Clasp too much rounded

There are only 2 things I really like over VRF:
1) The SEL shape and recessment is awesome
2) CGs side view shows angled shape

I‘ve got an ARF SD43, too. I think allover this is a great rep although not flawless. But much better than their Sub.

BTW: Very nice and helpful comparison! I’m writing this while wearing my VRF Hulk... :)

Greets Andi

Reactions: KJ2020

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Fantastic review. I must say I’m in agreeance with 100% of what you said. Either will be a great choice, they are both beautiful watches!

After all said and done though do you think the ARF is worth $100 more ootb (if 316 vs 904 doesn’t matter)?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

The ARF bracelet is a little better compare to VRF. I can feel it after wear the VRF two more days.

However, I care the look / crystal more.
I believe I will invest that $100 extra into upgrading the crystal.
My personal choice of ootb with small upgrade is VRF max plus prof crystal.
I heard the stock VRF is not very good. The magnification is bad only 2x.

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Thanks for the review! Great photos.

The lugs look ugly on the ARF. Too fat and blocly and wrong shaped. I’m waiting for my ARF ln to arrive. I’m really hoping it’s less obvious on the the wrist. I guess the bracelet is better on the ARF.

I did not notice the lugs that much on the wrist. You will your ARF hulk I am sure!!

And yeah the ARF bracelet is better.

Renowned Member
9/12/18
As I already answered the TO:

It was the right decidion to keep the VRF I think. ARF has got many flaws:

1) Hour hand too slim compared to the minute hand
2) Cyclops wrong
3) Date font just not right
4) 12 hour marker position too close to the rehaut
5) Sharp cornered 12, 6 and 9 o‘clock markers
6) Crystal protudes a bit too much over the bezel
7) Bezel engravings too deep and not centered esp. „50“
8) CG shape
9) Lugs fat
10) Clasp too much rounded

There are only 2 things I really like over VRF:
1) The SEL shape and recessment is awesome
2) CGs side view shows angled shape

I‘ve got an ARF SD43, too. I think allover this is a great rep although not flawless. But much better than their Sub.

BTW: Very nice and helpful comparison! I’m writing this while wearing my VRF Hulk... :)

Greets Andi

Thank you bro! You can always see the details I could not see!

Thank you again for helping new members like me on the reps journey! Your knowledge and willingness to share help a ton!!

Reactions: Pietros and Smpfan

alanball9438

20/12/18
Great comparison, buddy, you nailed it.
Your post will help a lot of member who thinking to get a Hulk.

Reactions: 2001025

Domisus

Renowned Member
28/3/18
Austria
the pearl seems a bit better on the arf. So how true is the green color on these latest models? is it still too strong?