• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What do y'all do after ..

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
I recently bought a modded blue Daytona. While beautiful, I can’t afford it in real life. I have a gen hulk as a gift from my wife. But I wear my franken hulk more. She doesn’t know that I had it just prior to her gift.

I digress. I feel uncomfortable wearing the Daytona because of gen pricing is not in my budget. I ca. Afford a gen omega, hulk, Kermit (tops) and 4 digit gmt. I have no issue with these. I work with drs all day and fear for the dreaded questions. It’s a shame. Because the mods made to the Daytona’s movement keeps amazing time. So the Daytona has off hours duty.

Buy a rep you could feasibly afford and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020 and Biertje

Biertje

Horology Curious
8/2/19
I recently bought a modded blue Daytona. While beautiful, I can’t afford it in real life. I have a gen hulk as a gift from my wife. But I wear my franken hulk more. She doesn’t know that I had it just prior to her gift.

I digress. I feel uncomfortable wearing the Daytona because of gen pricing is not in my budget. I ca. Afford a gen omega, hulk, Kermit (tops) and 4 digit gmt. I have no issue with these. I work with drs all day and fear for the dreaded questions. It’s a shame. Because the mods made to the Daytona’s movement keeps amazing time. So the Daytona has off hours duty.

Buy a rep you could feasibly afford and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I second that. I went with an explorer, which is not that expensive and available at almost every AD. I'm comfortable to wear it at work for example. If this stupid lack in daytona stock recently wasn't going on you would be comfortable to wear it more often right? Seems like more people know that daytone=expensive/hard to get with al famous people posting theirs (panda dial) on instagram.

One other thought: I can imagine to buy both gen and rep, wear rep on the street and keep gen in pristine condition safe at home (or bank). In Amsterdam there are aggressive rolex robberies, even famous people got victim.

Reactions: KJ2020

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Guys, have you ever thought that all that "buy what you can afford" only makes sense if you:

A) Care a lot about what others think

B) In some extent you want to pass it as gen (which, again to some extent, we are all happy with and perhaps slightly guilty)

You are missing a lot if you restrain yourself to that rule. Come on, there are really nice reps of really expensive and unobtainable watches around. Go on and get yourselves a nice Comex Submariner and a full gold Nautilus!

chuynh1109

22/8/18
Guys, have you ever thought that all that "buy what you can afford" only makes sense if you:

A) Care a lot about what others think

B) In some extent you want to pass it as gen (which, again to some extent, we are all happy with and perhaps slightly guilty)

You are missing a lot if you restrain yourself to that rule. Come on, there are really nice reps of really expensive and unobtainable watches around. Go on and get yourselves a nice Comex Submariner and a full gold Nautilus!
I'm really intrigued with the rep gold watches, however I'm afraid of them discoloring over time or causing my skin to turn green from wear.

Other than that, I don't mind wearing Gen or rep. Not sure how some people buy a Gen and never wear it due to worrying about damaging it. It's a watch, it's meant to be worn. I feel like it gives it character

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yachtmaster_Chris

Known Member
31/3/18
Hawaii, USA
Don't worry about the plated gold causing your skin to turn green. The gold-plated reps aren't THAT bad. Lol. That's like low karat silver and corrosive metals that do that, I believe. I've never had that issue with any of my gold reps. As far as the fading goes, I have yet to have one fade, but I also don't work outside or wear long sleeves causing excessive wear on my them. I also wipe them down after every wear to remove sweat and oils (which you're supposed to do with gen plated watches too, such as Seikos. Per the instruction manuals).

I'm really intrigued with the rep gold watches, however I'm afraid of them discoloring over time or causing my skin to turn green from wear.

Other than that, I don't mind wearing Gen or rep. Not sure how some people buy a Gen and never wear it due to worrying about damaging it. It's a watch, it's meant to be worn. I feel like it gives it character

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

chuynh1109

22/8/18
so i think i've decided to move on from a couple of my reps, they just aren't getting the wrist time they deserve. My attention has been drawn towards vintage gensteins now!