• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reliability of Noob 4130

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Hey guys,

I know there are plenty of material out there comparing the Noob Daytona 4130 with the gen and ARF. I haven't seen any recent threads that have discussed the reliability of this movement over time. I also haven't seen any real horror stories about the watch--except from people that are trying to mod their noob daytona (which I have no intention of doing). For purposes of this thread, I just want to know that after almost a year of these movements being on the market, is there a consensus as to whether they are reliable? Are they as reliable as a A2824 or A7750 (without any extra sec@12 or sec@6 gears)? The last thing I really want to do is buy a $700 rep and then have to spend $800 to have it serviced. Thanks guys!!!

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
Hey guys,

I know there are plenty of material out there comparing the Noob Daytona 4130 with the gen and ARF. I haven't seen any recent threads that have discussed the reliability of this movement over time. I also haven't seen any real horror stories about the watch--except from people that are trying to mod their noob daytona (which I have no intention of doing). For purposes of this thread, I just want to know that after almost a year of these movements being on the market, is there a consensus as to whether they are reliable? Are they as reliable as a A2824 or A7750 (without any extra sec@12 or sec@6 gears)? The last thing I really want to do is buy a $700 rep and then have to spend $800 to have it serviced. Thanks guys!!!

Imho servicing is a must do, not because movement is not good, it’s an awesome movement, but because some of them are dry of oil or over oiled, they could have dust or metallic parts on them, problem is not the movement which is another time awesome, but how they are assembled.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
I am sure that's true for pretty much every asian movement; however, I have A2824 and A2836 movements in watches that are 7 years old, have never been services and run great!! It costs about $150 to service a 2824, but most local WS won't touch a 4130 and those that do (near me anyway) charge around ~500 just to crack the case and clean it. God forbid you need some parts replaced, the bill can easily double!! I am hoping to hear it's a wear it and forget it watch before I drop $700 on the Noob Daytona. Of course, if that's not the case, I want to know that too and I'll get something else instead (but I really want the Noob 116500).

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am sure that's true for pretty much every asian movement; however, I have A2824 and A2836 movements in watches that are 7 years old, have never been services and run great!! It costs about $150 to service a 2824, but most local WS won't touch a 4130 and those that do (near me anyway) charge around ~500 just to crack the case and clean it. God forbid you need some parts replaced, the bill can easily double!! I am hoping to hear it's a wear it and forget it watch before I drop $700 on the Noob Daytona. Of course, if that's not the case, I want to know that too and I'll get something else instead (but I really want the Noob 116500).

I have 2 Noob Daytonas OOTB with no issues after 6 months. You'll need a lot more time to gauge long term reliability. Just wanted to mention that $150 service charge on a 2824 is outrageous, you can buy a new gen Swiss 2824 for about that, less in some instances.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Well, if you think about it, there are three factors that might help answer your question :

1. The watch has been around for almost a year, as you correctly say.

2. The stock depletes nearly instantly once a new batch appears. In summary, it's selling like hot cakes.

3. So far, I haven't read anything about a problem with that movement.

So, if there are a lot of people and no one complains...

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Well, if you think about it, there are three factors that might help answer your question :

1. The watch has been around for almost a year, as you correctly say.

2. The stock depletes nearly instantly once a new batch appears. In summary, it's selling like hot cakes.

3. So far, I haven't read anything about a problem with that movement.

So, if there are a lot of people and no one complains...

That's basically what I was suggesting from my OP, but I was just going for a little extra assurance. I have been out of the game for a few years--but I have had my share of issues with Noob and JF AP ROO's that needed serious services due to sec@12 issues. As much as I love the ROO, I wouldn't buy one again (except for a diver).

Reactions: gilrob and KJ2020

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07

Normal price at a normal repfriendly watchsmith buddy 120-150...an A7750 service is around 200-230 euro that is... an amateur may charge less

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
I have 2 Noob Daytonas OOTB with no issues after 6 months. You'll need a lot more time to gauge long term reliability. Just wanted to mention that $150 service charge on a 2824 is outrageous, you can buy a new gen Swiss 2824 for about that, less in some instances.

I have swapped out my fair share of A2824's for new ETA movements, but i am no watch smith so I still have to pay $100 for the swap. That's just how much these things cost from my local WS (and the other around me). I paid $125 just to reset a keyless on an A7750--not even a real service. I know it's all part of the deal with the rep game, but the 4130 is a different ball game. There aren't boat loads of replacement parts out there.

I am almost tempted to buy the watch with an uncased movement (I think PureTime is selling them from $133--at least I think I read that someplace). At least that would give me a safety net and a source for replacement parts.

Reactions: KJ2020

Swiss Maiden

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/19

I think it is a good time to revive this thread and try to obtain more insight on the reliability of this movement.

After some research (in multiple threads/forums) people are saying that this movement NEEDS to be serviced, due to poor assembly practices by Noob (incorrect oil, dirt, etc.) Apparently service is needed by at least 7 out of 10 watches. Other movements certainly don't have this NEED to obtain service, and could accurately run for many years without touching them.

Additionally, servicing is not an easy task for many watch smiths due to the complexity of the 4130. The ones that do have the skill will certainly charge more compared to the service price of other movements. (Plus there aren't parts out there to use as replacements in case some parts get damaged).

OOTB how reliable is this 4130 compared to a Miyota 9015, or an A2824 (without any kind of service - since this is not an option for many)?

In other words, can someone purchase this watch and expect it to run without issues for 3 - 5 years like they could with an A2824 (without any kind of service) ?

Reactions: Seefeld

Seefeld

Proud supporter
Supporter
Certified
22/10/18
Another never serviced noob4130 here running strong (touching wood) since autumn 2018. I have a lot of other gen and rep watches, but I use it very often and I don't have a winder.
As I like it so much and it is externally assembled with few gen parts (bezel, hands and dial) I think it will remain with me for a long time and if one day it should die I'll simply buy a new movement if I won't find someone able to repair it.
I've seen it opened a couple of times and it's simply gorgeous inside!

Swiss Maiden

20/9/19
Very interesting info Gentlemen.

It seems to me that this servicing need is pretty much a hit or a miss. The 4130 either craps the bed in a month or two of use, or it keeps going strong.....

It would be valuable if more Noob Daytona owners chimed in.....

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
I have my Daytonas serviced.. first of them unservice for half year, before I send it in, not for any movement issue, but I have it mod with ARF parts so just do it all together. That was Oct'18.
they've been running all day, on my wrist or winder. Occasionally I do run the Chrono, to amire and... just to check it's still running LOL. No issue so far.

Reactions: BlackJaguar

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
.... most local WS won't touch a 4130 and those that do (near me anyway) charge around ~500 just to crack the case and clean it. God forbid you need some parts replaced, the bill can easily double!! I am hoping to hear it's a wear it and forget it watch before I drop $700 on the Noob Daytona.,......

500 is even higher than some of the top watchmakers here..
Can really consider to have it send to someone more familiar with reps, and charge reasonable price for their work.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

​​​​​​Master Micasol is also right here in this thread.

Reactions: BlackJaguar

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
My serviced 4130 running excellent (both time keeping and power reserve) after 12 months.

Having gone through 6 Noobs 4130s, my watch maker has found lot of dirt and extra oil (and in some cases no oil) in the movements. So in my opinion, servicing them right away is a must. You may get lucky and have no issues even without servicing but that’s my preference (personal opinion).

And BTW, the most skilled Daytona watch maker (conus based) charges $300 for service.

Last edited:

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
please more people with expirience needed,does someone have bad expirience with movement so far? Every expirience is helpfull here

kevBquick

9/10/18
i've had the noob daytona 4130 since it first came out....no issues....randomly wearing it today....still buttery smooth.

NASA

12/4/18
Nuff said.

39a1e231484bbb8a7d34a96acd61e783.jpg

Reactions: mak-engineer

NASA

12/4/18
Nice! That’s a keeper for sure. I presume that’s right after you serviced and regulated it?

No. Came like that from TD. I also opened it up to clean off the typical noob crud and metal shavings and it was clean as a gen.

My thought is that covid made noob keep their factories clean so now watches work better.