• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116610 LV "HULK" - ARF 2824 vs. VRF 3135 - side-by-side comparison

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
WARNING: PIC HEAVY!

I know that some of you are trying to decide whether to get the ARF with the (more "bombproof") movement vs. the newest VRF with the (yet "tried and true" but promising) 3135 movement. This is not a post about the differences in the movements, there is ample info elsewhere on the forum about that.

This is merely a photo comparison of the two. I wanted to include my VRF MAx with the 2836 movement but it is at the watchsmith!

Apologies for not knowing how to rotate the photos in picr.me (if you know how, please PM me!)

Also, I titled them in picr.me but the titles did not come up in the preview.

In the photos, the VRF has the longer bracelet since it is not yet sized for my wrist. The ARF is dirtier (!), has the crown sticking out further past the crown guard, and has the "short f" and "symmetrical = sign". Also, the ARF has larger magnification of the cyclops window compared to the VRF (same is true vs. my VRF MAX).

I have taken photos in both sun and shade. To my eyes, the color of the insert looks pretty darn similar between the two. As with all reps, neither is truly comparable to gen, of course.

Photos 1 & 2: ARF on top, VRF on bottom.
Photo 3: VRF
Photo 4: ARF
Photo 5: VRF
Photo 6: ARF
Photo 7 & 8 VRF on left, ARF on right
Photo 9: ARF
Photo 10: VRF

JUST NOTICED that the VRF appears to have the "flat S" in "Swiss Made" that smoke talks about in his sticky on dials....

Curious to hear your comments...

L4JFR.jpg

L4M2y.jpg

L42Fq.jpg

L4PQ6.jpg

L453Q.jpg

Lau6X.jpg

LapCs.jpg

Lab3h.jpg

La84g.jpg

LaTKy.jpg

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
More photos of the VRF in sunlight and one blurry lume shot:

LrBvb.jpg

L5Vq2.jpg

L56Md.jpg

L5KBZ.jpg

L5z8R.jpg

Reactions: efthimis

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
I have one coming myself

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have the VRF Max Hulk ... but so tempted to get the VRF VR3135.

The Hulk is all about the bezel insert and the dial.
VRF has the best insert hand down.
I love the the VRF dial. It goes dark indoor and bright up in sunlight. Some will say it have more sunburst than the gen. BUT, I like my rep 'better' than gen .... :p

Reactions: thinwhiteduke

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
I have the VRF Max Hulk ... but so tempted to get the VRF VR3135.

The Hulk is all about the bezel insert and the dial.
VRF has the best insert hand down.
I love the the VRF dial. It goes dark indoor and bright up in sunlight. Some will say it have more sunburst than the gen. BUT, I like my rep 'better' than gen .... :p
I went with the 2836 max myself

Here's a approved QC photo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

53dd1fbcc0c2394465191bcd18c68b8e.jpg

Reactions: theREALgoat

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I wish I had my VRF MAX to show next to the VRF 3135. I am just not sure that the dial in the 3135 is a BP dial like it is in my VRF MAX... Maybe smoke will know. Did BP only make dials with the older format (short f, symmetrical = sign)?

I LOVE the BP dial on my MAX... This does not seem the same - not quite as "sunbursty" as I recall in the MAX... But it is definitely better than the ARF dial - photos show that!

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
I wish I had my VRF MAX to show next to the VRF 3135. I am just not sure that the dial in the 3135 is a BP dial like it is in my VRF MAX... Maybe smoke will know. Did BP only make dials with the older format (short f, symmetrical = sign)?

We can all wait for you to get the VRF Max Hulk back. ;)

I really want to see the differences between the Max and the VR3135.

Reactions: KJ2020

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
We can all wait for you to get the VRF Max Hulk back. ;)

I really want to see the differences between the Max and the VR3135.

When I do get it back, I will definitely post comparison photos between the two!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the pics sfgerl Not easy to detect any color difference between them on the insert. But the ARF is engraved too deep and too close to the crystal on the left slide. The ARF 45 marker is an easy reference point to ID it.

I think you are right about the 2836 dial being different. Looking forward to seeing them together!

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
I‘ve got a relatively new Max. All I can say considering the dial it’s absolutely identical.
To be honest there are so few visible differences between these two watches. It‘s the crown position and the CG shape. And the date wheel print and magnification of the cyclops. It‘s too week on the Max. That’s it.

Greets Andi

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I‘ve got a relatively new Max. All I can say considering the dial it’s absolutely identical.
To be honest there are so few visible differences between these two watches. It‘s the crown position and the CG shape. And the date wheel print and magnification of the cyclops. It‘s too week on the Max. That’s it.

Greets Andi

Your new VRF MAX has the 2836 movement, correct? If the dial on yours is indeed identical to my 3135 shown, then it has the "long f" with asymmetric = sign. This is interesting, since my VRF MAX (purchased a few months ago) has the older dial (short f and symmetric = sign) and is the BP Miyota dial. Makes me wonder if VRF is no longer using the BP dials.

I agree with your comments - also, I think the crystal on my 3135 is better than the one on my MAX, but maybe it's just me...

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
My Max is equipped with the A2836. And yes, this is not the older Miyota dial. You can spot it immediately. There is no space between 300 and m. Submariner lettering is bolder. And you already described the other changes in writings.

But VRF also delivered some Max Hulk watches with the older Miyota dial, too. Seems that they mixed up older parts with the newer Max watch edition. Theoretically this new dial is not period correct because VRF uses double rehaut engravings. So the older Miyota dial would be the right one. smoke talked about this sometimes ago, too.

The crystal of the Max is not very good. Cyclops magnifies week and AR is not really effective. I put a prof crystal into it. Much better.

Greets Andi