• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Changes in VRF Submariner

Subzed

24/4/18
Greetings all

I just received my newest addition, a 116610 LV MAX (Hulk) from VRF. I was very happy with the quality and price point of my previous purchase of the VRF MAX LN Sub which I acquired in May of 2018.

I have noticed a change in the design of the new watch and just wanted to pass along my observations.

First, the printing on the dial now has the long "f" in the foot abbreviation.

It has the = symbol slanted

The meter symbol "m" is now next to the numerals 300 (no space)

Secondly and the most exciting for me is the SELs are now more offset. On the first watch the SELs were somewhat flush. The new watch is definitely better, I don't now if I just got lucky but all four positions are an improvement over the first watch.

I have attached a few pics to illustrate what I'm seeing - (Yay Picr.me)

The dial on the earlier watch

sNxt3.jpg

The new dial

sNyQp.jpg

The SEL on the first watch

sNkQ8.jpg

And on the new watch - Pic #2 also shows this

s8Hw3.jpg

Overall I'm still impressed with this Manufacturer and the model series. As on the previous purchase I had to reject the first watch due to a funky numeral on the bezel insert and a too far left date.
I got the seemingly standard "The factory says this is how they provide them" answer at first but just being patient and reasonable got me a second choice which I accepted.

I don't know if I missed anything or if got the terminology wrong as I'm still learning but hopefully someone will find this useful.

Cheers

Reactions: KJ2020

ndema

Horology Curious
24/9/18
I noticed the same on my VRF MAX 116610LV that I purchased in September 2018. Was a nice surprise!

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
How's the date magnification? The video linked a couple posts up seems like its too small.

Reactions: jjmartinr

Subzed

24/4/18
How's the date magnification? The video linked a couple posts up seems like its too small.

Im not really sure how to judge if it’s truly 2.5 magnification but looking at the actual date and comparing the two it seems close. All I do know is that I can read the date without putting on my reading glasses.

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
Does anyone know if the VRF Max Hulk is better than an ARF or Noob v9 Hulk? Thanks!

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
vrf is definitely a great piece. My only concern is the numeral on insert are white, pearl doesn't look right and stock crystal could use an upgrade.

I have had noob , vrf and now own the arf hulk

I'll post some pics of my vrf and arf shortly

Nevertheless bang for buck and great watch.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
vrf is definitely a great piece. My only concern is the numeral on insert are white, pearl doesn't look right and stock crystal could use an upgrade.

I have had noob , vrf and now own the arf hulk

I'll post some pics of my vrf and arf shortly

Nevertheless bang for buck and great watch.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Since you had all 3, which one do you think is the best one OOTB without modding? And why did you choose the ARF over the VRF MAX? Thanks! :)

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Since you had all 3, which one do you think is the best one OOTB without modding? And why did you choose the ARF over the VRF MAX? Thanks! :)
It was down to the insert and numerals being silverish platinum

The rest was acceptable on the vrf.

I choose to keep the arf hulk

I did a mini comparison in one the topics. I'll find it for you.
fbdac689e6420b6abaf0b584a84c965f.jpg
306e4cf69a6b476cd8b3ae6acc01ac3e.jpg
29c64ea801159cee5faf1278c689473e.jpg
1e35d8a50ca08d55942190f5594d12ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
It was down to the insert and numerals being silverish platinum

The rest was acceptable on the vrf.

I choose to keep the arf hulk

I did a mini comparison in one the topics. I'll find it for you.
fbdac689e6420b6abaf0b584a84c965f.jpg
306e4cf69a6b476cd8b3ae6acc01ac3e.jpg
29c64ea801159cee5faf1278c689473e.jpg
1e35d8a50ca08d55942190f5594d12ab.jpg

Oh okay I see. I might just have to get both and decide for myself which one I like better. Thank you for your insight! :)

ChelleBella

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/10/17
From which TD did you get this „new“Version of the VRF Max Hulk? Bezel colour still closest to gen?

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
From which TD did you get this „new“Version of the VRF Max Hulk? Bezel colour still closest to gen?
None of the insert colours match gen.

Both vrf and arf have good insert Color but don't expect it to be perfect.

Reactions: ChelleBella

Subzed

24/4/18
From which TD did you get this „new“Version of the VRF Max Hulk?

I got this from InTime, they don’t have the website updated to say it’s the Max version. I just send a email asking if they can source that version. That being said I don’t know if VRF is still making any other version than this.
Another thing to note; the first watch I rejected was the older version as I can see in the QC pics the dial is not the updated one. I did not realize this until later.

ks123

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/3/16
London
With the VRF MAX subs date from 10-19 is a little to the left, Can be fixed with a new DW from noob

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
I got this from InTime, they don’t have the website updated to say it’s the Max version. I just send a email asking if they can source that version. That being said I don’t know if VRF is still making any other version than this.
Another thing to note; the first watch I rejected was the older version as I can see in the QC pics the dial is not the updated one. I did not realize this until later.

I had the same, I got my watch 3 weeks ago. I thought it was the old version, but it’s just an updates MAX

Moyzi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/9/17
Was set on an ARF hulk but the new VRF looks awesome. Got a decision to make now

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I'm still waiting for my LV ARF 2824 from Puretime. I decided to also pull the trigger on an LV VRF from Ryan at Intime! I must be crazy, but oh well. SOLEX and other posters were keen on the insert color on the VRF, and I liked the pearl and triangle better on the VRF as well. ARF's triangle looks too "wide" to me, but it is a subtle difference, no question. I just want to see which watch "fits" me better.

I had sent Ryan a message asking if he could source the VRF MAX and never heard back. I am hoping that the VRF "Best Edition" is in fact the MAX.... Awaiting QC photos now. I am grateful for the initial poster who showed the differences between the "old" VRF and the newer one, just in case I get sent photos of the older one for QC :eek:

I'll be very interested to see the differences in the two when I have them both in hand... It will be a great way to see if I can really tell much of a difference in the insert color, the weight, the steel, etc....

Reactions: ChelleBella