• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Submariner today but something wrong

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Hey guys got my ARF sub today. The build is fabulous and must say better than noob. I never had a 904l rep before and this steel is much brighter than v6s I last owned. The crown is where I’m havjng issue. Fully closed it seem to stick out much further. Is there a fix for this? Or is this how it is?

VsUjG.jpg

VsQby.jpg

Reactions: tesmar43

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
can be the stem is too long(easy fix)...I hope it is that....

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Do all of the stem functions work properly? Winding, date setting, hack/time setting?

Sometimes an improperly seated gasket can prevent a crown from screwing down all the way. There should be an O ring on the outside of the tube and another inside the tube. Check to see that the O ring on the outside of the tube isn't jammed up under the crown.

To really assess this issue further you would need to remove the stem. It's possible the stem was cut slightly too long. This is a fairly simple fix, but will require some research if you want to try it on your own.You only need to trim the stem the amount it sticks out.

https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-replace-a-watch-stem/

Some folks may chime in that the gen Sub crown doesn't screw all the way down, but it has a triplock crown with 4 O rings, so that's really an irrelevant comparison to your issue IMO. There is adequate clearance inside your crown for the outside O ring to fit completely recessed inside it and the crown should fit flush with the case.

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
Hey guys got my ARF sub today. The build is fabulous and must say better than noob. I never had a 904l rep before and this steel is much brighter than v6s I last owned. The crown is where I’m havjng issue. Fully closed it seem to stick out much further. Is there a fix for this? Or is this how it is?

VsUjG.jpg

VsQby.jpg

Looks like the tube is not properly seated to the midcase. Have seen this with a few ARF subs and SD’s.

Sent from the RWI App

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Thanks for the input guys. The O ring visible is fine. Everything works fine. I do believe the stem is cut too long. I will attempt a diy fix

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Looks like the tube is not properly seated to the midcase. Have seen this with a few ARF subs and SD’s.

Sent from the RWI App

Great observation, that would be a bigger issue. To check this, the stem could be removed from the crown or the movement removed from the case, then attempt to screw the crown flush to the case. If it fits flush the stem is too long. If it fits like it does now, the tube is not fully seated.

Reactions: trailboss99

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the input guys. The O ring visible is fine. Everything works fine. I do believe the stem is cut too long. I will attempt a diy fix

Before cutting the stem, I'd try fitting the crown to the case with the movement out or the stem removed to check for the issue Pelagic posted. You would still need to cut the stem later but better to wait to do it accurately.

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
ill need a case back removal tool as all mines are Pam related lol, anyone know the gen measurement for crown and stem?

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Before cutting the stem, I'd try fitting the crown to the case with the movement out or the stem removed to check for the issue Pelagic posted. You would still need to cut the stem later but better to wait to do it accurately.

Let's hope he see's this, as I agree it is the tube, which can also be a relatively painless fix.

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
I should have a case back removal tool arrive monday/tuesday, hopefully this is easy fix, cant believe they shipping these with problems, but once seen cant be unseen

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
It is because it is the 2824 movement, the crown does not work well with this case/CG. My ARF also stuck out and even looked like it was scratching the inner CG when being screwed in all the way. This is one reason why I did not keep the ARF, and went with NOOB V9 (for now) if a 3135 is released I am jumping on the ARF train!

Now a bit of good new for you, in the ARF 116610 thread (it is very long, I will spare you the read) it is mentioned that even Gens have this characteristic of the crown not being fully flush.

If you want to investigate further by swapping stem/tube etc. please let us know your results!

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Solex, thanks for your input. I have been looking around online and do see some Gen also has gaps but not as severe as ARF. It does seem that I can remove the crown and shave the stem to get almost 1mm closer to case, which maybe fix it. Fingers cross

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Won't it be quite tricky to cut the stem and re-insert it without causing any problems?

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
V9hqF.jpg

maybe I can shave a little material from stem tube ends so when crown screws in it be a little closer to case, what u guys think of that

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The problem with starting out by doing that is then the stem WILL be too long if the tube is the issue. If it were me I would first make sure the crown won't screw down to the case with the stem removed. You still would need to trim the stem anyway which is better done with it removed from the movement and the crown. If you were thinking of trimming the stem with it still inserted to the movement, I don't recommend that.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am going to make all and any attempt with movement removed

Let me make a few suggestions. Maybe you can avoid taking the movement out if you just remove the stem and crown, then remove the stem from the crown. You'll have to do this in any scenario anyway, so once the crown is isolated test fit it to the tube. If it fits flush, all you have to do is trim the stem and you're done. If it doesn't fit, then take the movement out block off the inside of the tube with foam or tape and see about reducing the height of the tube. I'll let others weigh in on the best way to do that, I've not had that pleasure yet. It may be OK to carefully grind down 0.1mm of the tube.

1.2mm tube height outside the case is what one of my Subs that I'm working on has.

15339529190132.jpg

Pull the stem out to the hack/time setting position before depressing the stem release button. You should use a 1.2mm screwdriver (#120) to depress the stem release button because it will keep you from pushing it down too far. There are ledges the screwdriver hits to halt further downward movement. If you don't have the right screwdriver, you can use a toothpick but be very careful not to push too hard or too far. It's very easy to pop the setting lever and then you are facing a keyless reset. Here's a pic

15339514436121.jpg

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Thanks KJ2020, the measurement was most useful, I’ll use that as reference. I’ve torn apart many many movements before so not fat first here, my first having long stem issue lol

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm interested in the tube seating, if it can be seated more deeply and how. Hope someone with experience will chime in.