• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen? Platinum Day Date Presidential w/diamond dial and bezel auction...

john45

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/4/18
Sonoma
Saturday, there's a local live auction that will include a supposedly genuine Rolex Platinum Day Date Presidential w/diamond dial and bezel. I'm not interested in a long term relationship with the watch, but I wonder if it's possible to pick up something like this for, say, 10K and then resell it.

I have absolutely no experience with anything like this and certainly don't want to get burned. Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Gen platinum DD by itself would be in the $50K range new, so with an actual diamond dial, this would probably be even more expensive. So in short, no chance...

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
I doubt an auction house is going to open the bidding on a minimum-$40K-on-eBay watch at $10K.

I've targeted two watches in auctions that took bids both online and in-person. One was an Oyster Perpetual head with a 1520 movement plus a bracelet clasp and a half-dozen oyster links that I got for $800 + 25% buyers' premium so $1K total. The movement alone is worth more than that. The other was an early (lug holes, blank rehaut) 16610; I was high bid at $5700 but the reserve price was higher so no sale. The auction house phoned me and left a message a couple days after but I never followed up.

If you don't have anything else to do it might be fun to go and learn how the process works and get a look at some cool horological eye candy. Expect to see A LOT of blinged-out DateJusts.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Gen platinum DD by itself would be in the $50K range new, so with an actual diamond dial, this would probably be even more expensive. So in short, no chance...

hes-right-you-know-gif-9.gif

Reactions: Ralphy

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
If its a gen plat Day date with factory diamonds bezel and dial you will NEVER get it for $10k. You wont even get it for $30k if its a DD40 or DD41. No chance in hell.

Reactions: Versaceboy54

bubu77

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/4/16
EUROPE
If it is a 5 digit modell, then u can get them in YG with aftermarket diamonds bezel from 9.500 to 11.000 usd. In whitegold you can get them with aftermarket diamond beszel from 12.000 to 18.000 usd.

A 6 digit modell for 10K is impossible.