• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why go Gen ?

Cooldaddyfunk286

20/6/18
NY
Man these companies don't give a fuck about us LOL that's what we have to realize first. I think I said it when this thread was first started an $8,000 sub, if it's a 116610LV then you're talkin 13 Grand! This Rolex cost the company no more than $700 to produce, since robotics are such a part of our industrial age, I wouldn't be surprised if that is sitting around $500 to produce by 2020. unless you're sponsored or unless you're filthy Rich, you're in public you're with people and you want to show off why on God's Earth would anyone pay $13,000 over $500 when the super reps, with a little modification are absolutely so goddamn close! I've had my v9 hulk on 24/7 for a little bit over a year now, still haven't had it serviced or cleaned, I plan to now that I have a little extra money. Honestly, if it was just a tiny bit quieter when flailing your wrist all around on rare occasion, it would be almost perfect in every way. The weight is the same, the material is the same for the case and bracelet, probably more pieces. I just don't see any logic in buying a gen right now, especially a stainless steel model that some places are harder than others to find. waiting months I've heard stories about guys waiting years on ad-list for watches! if you have the money for a solid gold watch, then absolutely get one. But when you're talking the super submariner reps and 904 stainless I think it's a completely different matter. Since I've gotten my rep I've been able to hold a Gen LN for a few minutes side by side, and they are so scary close that, once again if you're in public and you're trying to show off and you want to buy a $10,000 watch and you have the money to do that ,thats different, but for any other occasion which is 99.5% ...rep.

I mean after wearing my sub 24/7 for over a year my polished surfaces are still beautifully polished, my screws in my bracelet are all tight and still perfectly polished. I almost feel like if I get it serviced and clean it's going to mess with my SEL Gap which basically doesn't exist, and things may not fit the same as they did from the factory? Idk, I heard these v9s are super hard to get apart Also.

sorry guys it's like 2 in the morning I'm just blabbering but there's somegood food for thought in what I wrote! LOL have a nice night gent's.

Reactions: Swoop_world

Major Tom

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/15
Buying rep´s is simply money and risk management, offering you diversification at he same time, no matter your bank balance. Respect for a guy wearing a superrep as opposed to a gen flasher. I mean who is the idiot here :)

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Man these companies don't give a fuck about us LOL that's what we have to realize first. I think I said it when this thread was first started an $8,000 sub, if it's a 116610LV then you're talkin 13 Grand! This Rolex cost the company no more than $700 to produce, since robotics are such a part of our industrial age, I wouldn't be surprised if that is sitting around $500 to produce by 2020. unless you're sponsored or unless you're filthy Rich, you're in public you're with people and you want to show off why on God's Earth would anyone pay $13,000 over $500 when the super reps, with a little modification are absolutely so goddamn close! I've had my v9 hulk on 24/7 for a little bit over a year now, still haven't had it serviced or cleaned, I plan to now that I have a little extra money. Honestly, if it was just a tiny bit quieter when flailing your wrist all around on rare occasion, it would be almost perfect in every way. The weight is the same, the material is the same for the case and bracelet, probably more pieces. I just don't see any logic in buying a gen right now, especially a stainless steel model that some places are harder than others to find. waiting months I've heard stories about guys waiting years on ad-list for watches! if you have the money for a solid gold watch, then absolutely get one. But when you're talking the super submariner reps and 904 stainless I think it's a completely different matter. Since I've gotten my rep I've been able to hold a Gen LN for a few minutes side by side, and they are so scary close that, once again if you're in public and you're trying to show off and you want to buy a $10,000 watch and you have the money to do that ,thats different, but for any other occasion which is 99.5% ...rep.

I mean after wearing my sub 24/7 for over a year my polished surfaces are still beautifully polished, my screws in my bracelet are all tight and still perfectly polished. I almost feel like if I get it serviced and clean it's going to mess with my SEL Gap which basically doesn't exist, and things may not fit the same as they did from the factory? Idk, I heard these v9s are super hard to get apart Also.

sorry guys it's like 2 in the morning I'm just blabbering but there's somegood food for thought in what I wrote! LOL have a nice night gent's.

I completely agree here. In fact., where it becomes even more stupid is with the vintage pieces. Some of these are just crazy/ridiculously priced. This is why I am full throttle on board with building gen parts frankens for all of the vintage and modern watches I want to own. You can buy the gen Rolex movement, a Vietnam case set, gen seals, a gen crown, a really nice or even gen dial, gen hands, gen Xtal or plexi, gen insert, and then some time for one of our expert modders to assemble it for you. Put it on handmade leather or (with a modern piece) put it on a gen Rubber B, and you are literally talking a few grand for a watch that is selling for $10K to $100K in some cases. It absolutely boggles the mind why you would fork over that kind of money for an all-original piece when you can build the exact same thing using the exact same parts (except using an after market case built to original OEM specs).

It is like vintage auto restoration - there are hardcore collectors who show their cars and absolutely must use every single nut and bolt original when they restore and build the car. Then there are enthusiasts who are not showing them, and don't care if a part is original as long as it is OEM spec and serves the same purpose. A high school friend of mine, who is in the music industry, just picked up his dream car - a 1950s Porsche speedster. It is absolutely spectacular and is showroom pristine. He has been posting pics of it on his Facebook page all year since he got it and recently he worked with an engine builder in San Francisco and had the engine rebuilt and spruced up. No, it isn't completely original in the rebuild of the engine. It's better!! This thing looks amazing.

Anyway, I have no intentions to ever sell my pieces once I start building them, and I can wear them for life and hand them down to my boys when I kick it. Since everything will be genuine (minus the case) I'll have a parts list for each piece and any good watch maker could easily disassemble them. They can sell off the parts if they don't want to keep them and wear them themselves, but knowing how much my boys like watches already (since I do) I suspect they would continue the passion and just wear them.

Reactions: Powdernation

Powdernation

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/18
I've been going back and forth on this question for some time. I own a couple gen Rolex & Omega watches.Would like to acquire a Rolex Hulk. Visited 4 different Rolex AD in different parts of the country. Same story, no inventory of SS models, let alone a Hulk. No idea when it would come in. Can't get on a waitlist. Suggestions to buy something else first... right. Looking at grey market, have to pay $3K-$4K or more over sticker. Is the watch really worth $14K? That's a lot of money unless you're uber rich. Folks point to Rolex as a sound investment, but I don't buy it unless its a Daytona. No one knows what the market will look like, or what a potential downturn will due. You think folks will be paying a huge premium for watches when we dip into a recession? These are not limited edition watches, they are mass market goods, and yet I can't buy it at any Rolex AD in the country! It's a game I don't want to be a part of.

I will be looking to pick up my first Rolex Hulk rep in the coming weeks. Feels like a more reasonable and sound decision all around.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I've been going back and forth on this question for some time. I own a couple gen Rolex & Omega watches.Would like to acquire a Rolex Hulk. Visited 4 different Rolex AD in different parts of the country. Same story, no inventory of SS models, let alone a Hulk. No idea when it would come in. Can't get on a waitlist. Suggestions to buy something else first... right. Looking at grey market, have to pay $3K-$4K or more over sticker. Is the watch really worth $14K? That's a lot of money unless you're uber rich. Folks point to Rolex as a sound investment, but I don't buy it unless its a Daytona. No one knows what the market will look like, or what a potential downturn will due. You think folks will be paying a huge premium for watches when we dip into a recession? These are not limited edition watches, they are mass market goods, and yet I can't buy it at any Rolex AD in the country! It's a game I don't want to be a part of.

I will be looking to pick up my first Rolex Hulk rep in the coming weeks. Feels like a more reasonable and sound decision all around.

Very sound logic. During the last global recession, stainless steel Rolex prices plummeted like a brick as people were liquidating any overpriced asset they could get their hands on to free up cash. Across the board. The guys over on TRF have been periodically talking about what is driving the parabolic stainless steel price curve for the last 2 years. If the gen Kool Aid drinkers over there are being cautious, it gives the rest of us good reason to be very selective with any purchase that is made 11 years into a bull market.:(

peterpl

24/7/11
If I was in the market for a gen Rolex in todays market I would be very very very careful at what prices I pay. This hyper-inflated bubble will burst sooner or later just like any asset bubble. These are watches not anything being a necessity in life. It will end badly for many people paying absurd amounts of money for mass produced items.

Reactions: Mendota

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
It’s been discussed on trf but I agree the current prices are going to be the new norm

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18

Exactly, if a TD's can sell reps made of similar materials for $500 and make a profit then we could only imagine what the markup is on gens. Ridiculous how they have long wait lists and how a TD will sell you an oyster bracelet for under $200 while a gen oyster bracelet is over $2000

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
If I was in the market for a gen Rolex in todays market I would be very very very careful at what prices I pay. This hyper-inflated bubble will burst sooner or later just like any asset bubble. These are watches not anything being a necessity in life. It will end badly for many people paying absurd amounts of money for mass produced items.
I was reading an article that posited that a big driving force behind this abnormal increase in steel sport Rolex prices is due to the rest of the Swiss watches not holding their value on the preowned market. Every other watch brand declines in value on the used market. In fact, so do other Rolex lines. The author suggested that if the market were to shift and if just one other brand were to begin to hold its value, this price bubble would deflate.

In the end, just like tulips, these are unnecessary and purely discretionary items. The moment the next major recession hits, strap yourselves in for the ride. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
I was reading an article that posited that a big driving force behind this abnormal increase in steel sport Rolex prices is due to the rest of the Swiss watches not holding their value on the preowned market. Every other watch brand declines in value on the used market. In fact, so do other Rolex lines. The author suggested that if the market were to shift and if just one other brand were to begin to hold its value, this price bubble would deflate.

In the end, just like tulips, these are unnecessary and purely discretionary items. The moment the next major recession hits, strap yourselves in for the ride. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I believe AP and PP retain their value as well. I see tons of people moving away from Rolex, and into AP/PP. Like really a shocking number of folks with PP these days, 1-2 years ago I could say I have only seen 1-2 in the wild, I was recently at a function and saw a good 20-25 Pateks, mostly in Rose Gold as well.

As for Rolex I hate what is going on, I used to love "flipping" even if it was at a small loss to try something new. Now people want DOUBLE the MSRP on some watches, are they freaking crazy? Not a game for me anymore, so I just come back here and pick out whatever I want for $300-$500 per watch and have the latest/greatest.

Reactions: Mendota

peterpl

24/7/11
I was reading an article that posited that a big driving force behind this abnormal increase in steel sport Rolex prices is due to the rest of the Swiss watches not holding their value on the preowned market. Every other watch brand declines in value on the used market.

Not completely true. Too many people with Rolex goggles on. AP/PP/RM and a bunch of other brands holds value extremely well, AP and PP even better than Rolex so that theory is not true. The problem is everyone is buying a Rolex to make money now its actually just a trading commodity. I know a tonne of ppl who dont even like watches at all just buying up each and every single Rolex they can get at MSRP doesnt even matter the model in the hope to flip and make a few grand here and there.

This is a perfect sign of the perfect storm brewing. When people who dont know the difference between a sub, ym or even an OP and buying it just because its an "investment". LOL

Just wait until the bubble bursts if your looking to buy one. We are into the 2-3 year of this bubble already and its peaking. Another 1-2 and it will burst. Everything and I mean everything is cyclical - there is never a tangible item that continues to increase indefinitely and if someone thinks otherwise they are as dumb as batshit.

Powdernation

29/9/18
Too many people with Rolex goggles on. The problem is everyone is buying a Rolex to make money now its actually just a trading commodity. I know a tonne of ppl who dont even like watches at all just buying up each and every single Rolex they can get at MSRP doesnt even matter the model in the hope to flip and make a few grand here and there.

That's exactly it, there are those who are trying to gain the system for a quick flip, and those who have convinced themselves that buying an expensive Rolex is justified because prices will only continue to increase indefinitely. Both groups...in my humble opinion...should have no business buying watches. But the beat goes on.

I think many of us gen collectors are adjusting accordingly.

Scoobiedooo

25/3/19
Uk
What pisses me off the most are the AD's, they think they are better than God. I own a gen Rolex and I've owned many in the past, when reps where poor.and obvious. Now you can walk into a Rolex AD with a super rep on and they have no idea its a rep. I did last week with my Noob Daytona v2.2. You know the funny thing is that I asked about any SS models available and was told no, then I let him.see my Daytona and amazingly he said i do actually have a Sub date, he went and got it. Instantly I said ok I'll buy it, ahhhhh he said, you can do but you'll have to buy another watch or a piece of jewelry too. I played with him for a long time, but in the end it wasnt a smart financial move for me to buy a bundle, so I walked. I only wanted to flip it anyway.

The info I extracted was that if you want a sub you need to bundle with another 3k min item.

If you want a hulk or sea dweller then you also need to buy a PM.

If you want a Pepsi or Daytona you need to spend upwards of 50k to even have a look in.

The difference now is that reps are so damn good that less than 0.0001% of people would ever tell you're not wearing a gen, so why let thse jumped up AD %₩@*÷*= dictate to you?!?

I hardly ever wear my gen now, I'd rather rotate my reps and if they get bashed along then way then who gives a sh1t.

Too many people are on the Rolex bandwagon now trying to make money, personally I'd rather buy a £300-£500 rep and keep the rest in my pocket.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
What pisses me off the most are the AD's, they think they are better than God. I own a gen Rolex and I've owned many in the past, when reps where poor.and obvious. Now you can walk into a Rolex AD with a super rep on and they have no idea its a rep. I did last week with my Noob Daytona v2.2. You know the funny thing is that I asked about any SS models available and was told no, then I let him.see my Daytona and amazingly he said i do actually have a Sub date, he went and got it. Instantly I said ok I'll buy it, ahhhhh he said, you can do but you'll have to buy another watch or a piece of jewelry too. I played with him for a long time, but in the end it wasnt a smart financial move for me to buy a bundle, so I walked. I only wanted to flip it anyway.

The info I extracted was that if you want a sub you need to bundle with another 3k min item.

If you want a hulk or sea dweller then you also need to buy a PM.

If you want a Pepsi or Daytona you need to spend upwards of 50k to even have a look in.

The difference now is that reps are so damn good that less than 0.0001% of people would ever tell you're not wearing a gen, so why let thse jumped up AD %₩@*÷*= dictate to you?!?

I hardly ever wear my gen now, I'd rather rotate my reps and if they get bashed along then way then who gives a sh1t.

Too many people are on the Rolex bandwagon now trying to make money, personally I'd rather buy a £300-£500 rep and keep the rest in my pocket.

Careful with showing off replicas at a boutique or authorised dealer, this is a serious offence in this community and it can actually get you banned from this and across all the forums.

Probably the AD saw there was something off with your Daytona but wasn't sure, showed you the 116610 but just to be sure they came up with that lame excuse. If you pony up the 3k then they call it a day. This has been discussed extensively in this forum and the conclusion is always the same: any decent sales staff at an AD can spot even the best fake. They are instructed not to call you out, that's all.

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
Warranty, reliability, resale value, accuracy, the very fact that it's the actual real deal made by the brand on the dial.

Out of those, resale value is the only reason worth buying a gen IMO - you can make money. Reliability and accuracy can be had for the cost of an upgraded movement ($200-$300). Actually, you don't have to - the A2824 in my Sub keeps SOSC timing.

The last point on the list - that is cool, just hard to justify the price tag if the rest is irrelevant. $10K just to know Rolex made it :-/, I pass on that personally.

Reactions: 2001025