• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The ceramic insert paint mod V2 or CIPMv2 if you're a noob fan

Cdenim

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
Hello to eveyone, before I start rambling, let me show you the end result of just about 2 months of trying everything ie ( paints, inks, dyes, bleaches and cleaners ) in an attempt to fix what otherwise, is a really good rep.

Noob V7 DSSD with a paint mod I came up with...View attachment 93564 View attachment 93565 View attachment 93567

Ok, now if you're not interested, you didn't have to read on till the end. For those who are, here we go...

So, One of my absolute favorites has been the deepsea. I especially like the size. Shape, like a sub on steroids. Being involved with replicas now since 2012 when i was about let go at a watch repair shop on jewlers row, Chicago, that i was interning at. Went home that night, accumulated my own equipment and been a( very spare time) watch smith focusing on replicas since. So i get the king of the hill. Noob, SA3135, v7 deepsea. Unbox,,, and big disappointment. It was a big factor to me. The dark, greyish, non metallic, thinly engraved bezel insert. As alot of us here are with it. Swapped out the SA for a Yuki. Standard mods ( Automatic works, winding bridge, setting wheels, winding pinion and i serviced and oiled)... Timed it View attachment 93576 Not bad for a chinese copy of a $2200 movement. Date wheel ( as you'll see in some shots) wasn't correct and misaligned. Gen took care of that. Now. The insert...... Thanks to this new found resource RWI, I began reading for a way to correct this eyesore. AND>>> the Sharpe mod was found. Before I read this thread, I had already blown through every silver marker my local office dept had. And no, didn't take any shots of this because, well, I hated it. Some of you doing this mod had success. Looked alot better than stock. I just couldn't make it work. Here, we are so critical with these replica watches, how anyone could live with the clumpy, wrong colored, goop in the markers, yelling out to anyone who seen it...Home made craft project, is beyond me. Then i found Steve (the spongbob). Amazing work. Orderd one of his up and in the int-rum, came up with something to make this livable. This post is two fold.... One, i wanted to contribute something I think, can change the look of any of the ceramic rolex reps for the better. And two, I respect all your opinions. If there's something someone can change or use in place of or something i could have done better....Let me know!!! That said, here's how i did it.

View attachment 93604
I've used Automotive paints, oil based paints, this combo did it for me.
Martha Stuart crafts Pure Platinum
Decorative Metallic Luster Silver spark ( dries to a waxy surface ) Waterproof....
Dr Phil Martins incandescent calligraphy ink #13r Nickel ( this had a brownish liquid in it i have removed leaving the heavy pigment behind and left it open to dry some ).

Now because i'm doing this after the fact, and i want to illistrate this can work on any bezel inlay really,
we can use this scrap insert piece. View attachment 93613 looks like v7 or v6 insert anyway. Because its relatively untouched there, I'll use the large flat marker there. Here's what you'll need along with a paint brush, and something to mix inView attachment 93614 View attachment 93614
So i start with a darker base, grab ol Martha

Next a couple clumps of the wax metallic luster

and last, grab another couple clumps from the nickel ink. stir them up for a few secs. then add about 2 table spoons of water. stir until it looks like thisView attachment 93617
Now using paint brush pick up a droplet of color and dab it into the marker, let it flow onto it. dont worry about it spilling over. you want the metallic to be even so just slop it on there. once its covering the whole marker, let it dry. I pop mine infront of my shop heater for 20mins.
You'll see it now (with water evaportated ) lining the marker. Now you can remove access. Again, let it dry for a few hours. Its now a shimmery, dried platinum white in the marker. Take the qtip and very softly begin buffing the marker. gently going back and forth, around the sides. it turns into a very shiny, metallic platinum color. super smooth. keep working it until you get your desired look. like thisView attachment 93618

And repeat for all the markers and numbers in the insert. I let it dry overnight but after that, Ive cleaned the insert with carb cleaner. Let it sit in water. It just stays in there because we're dealing with a wax not so much a paint. And here it is, compared to a gen bezel inlay side by side. At first I did this to make do until i can get the spongbob plated insert. Im pretty content with this now. but want to see the differences between them when the insert arrives.View attachment 93619
The color and the way it behaves, is very very gen like.It also makes the numbers and markers look bigger and deeper than they are because the sides are now reflecting giving it a 3d effect. I could't post any more shots to this message but if anyone wants to see anything just let me know. Any input or feedback is enthusiastically welcome. a very gen like insert appearance for under $25. Time to clean up the watch with a well needed rebrush and polish.

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Dude! That's awesome, on behalf our community, thank you for sharing :D

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
@Cdenim ...
Liked your post and think it's TOO bad that I can't "like" it twice or more

Sent from the RWI App

D

d4m.test

Amazing ... You're da man ... @Cdenim !
Not only you researched, tested, and successfully made the insert better ... but you did a great review and shared it with everyone.
You have my respect.

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Excellent !
Where are u located ? Would you be interested making some more ? :p

D

d4m.test

Awesome you posted a full workup! Kudos brother :)

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Thank you this is an awesome write up! Really nice result on it too. Will give it a try next time I get a dark insert!

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
i guess you missed my post from 2013:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/the-pilworx-penultimate-platinumizing-procedure.130107/

i am of the opinion that if you receive a watch with a noob insert that has the lighter, non darker crap engravings, then you have an insert that is extremely close to gen and is not worth trying to paint over. i have gen inserts and have compared the better noob inserts color and besides some very minor shade difference, they are good to go. this paint stuff is now madness. DO NOT ACCEPT noobs from dealers that have the crap inserts, insist they source you one with the proper lighter insert engraving color and file all these paint mods in the round file.

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
Excellent !
Where are u located ? Would you be interested making some more ? :p
In Chicago. Here's the thing, its only paint. Although so far it seems really durable, it could always get scrapped out somehow. If you do it, at least in the event that happens, you can fix. The spongebob plated (although the color isnt as close as this, would more permanently solve it) but who knows what the future may bring. Thanks brother

Sent from the RWI App

cleebeauregard

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/1/15
Great write-up, and a nice contribution to the forum!

Having been down the paint rabbit hole myself, I've come to agree with @pilworx; sometimes chasing "perfection" results in a big fat mess that's significantly worse than what you started with. Some of the newer NOOB DSSD's have inserts that IMO are pretty damn good- not perfect, but definitely good enough, and far superior to some of the horrific, aluminium foil colored "sharpie-mods" I've seen. Also, many of the inserts are simply dirty-- they have oils, dirt, and God knows what else on them, just like some of the movements that look like they spent a month or two inside some Chinese person's underwear. Case in point, I received a NOOB V2 SD4K from a TD a few months back with an insert that I was initially VERY unhappy with. The paint was darker gray (grey for my UK friends, lol) than even the worse V7 subs I've seen. I was about ready to send it back to either send it back to the dealer (never a great idea IMO) or go for a SpongeBob mod when I did the unthinkable-- I gave it a good cleaning with some industrial hand cleaner followed by a little rubbing alcohol, and Presto!, I had a great looking insert. I wish I'd taken some before and after pictures, because it was pretty striking. But alas, I did not, and I've subsequently sold the watch as well. But I assure you, it's at least worth a try before you start your own paint shop...:)

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
i guess you missed my post from 2013:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/the-pilworx-penultimate-platinumizing-procedure.130107/

i am of the opinion that if you receive a watch with a noob insert that has the lighter, non darker crap engravings, then you have an insert that is extremely close to gen and is not worth trying to paint over. i have gen inserts and have compared the better noob inserts color and besides some very minor shade difference, they are good to go. this paint stuff is now madness. DO NOT ACCEPT noobs from dealers that have the crap inserts, insist they source you one with the proper lighter insert engraving color and file all these paint mods in the round file.
I didn't. And great write up. When i got QC pics, it was much lighter and looked like the newer correct ones. I accepted only to find out it wasn't when i actually got it. The pics were taken with very spacific lighting. I agree with you 100%. And with any of the other paint mods out there (I've tried them all almost) the result is too home made craft show. So you sacrafice a machined, clean proper appearance thats much darker for a totally wrong color that looks like your 4 yr old nephew got into your watch drawer and went to town on your 116660. Again, 100% agree with you brother. Just got duped by misleading QC pics. And for those of us living with the incorrect inserts, this is a clean professional look for a few bucks anyone can do.
QC pic
0f9e87cf438ee004fd084d3cb767c42a.jpg

What i got
1ef4aa837aa941de2b2d8c3fb3a39724.jpg

And to help make your point, here's one i received with correct insert
4a9abcd59c88d467696c37bf19be3802.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

cleebeauregard

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/1/15
BTW, DO NOT USE 100% ACETONE when cleaning your insert, or you will remove ALL of the paint, often including the original factory paint.

cleebeauregard

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/1/15
I didn't. And great write up. When i got QC pics, it was much lighter and looked like the newer correct ones. I accepted only to find out it wasn't when i actually got it. The pics were taken with very spacific lighting. I agree with you 100%. And with any of the other paint mods out there (I've tried them all almost) the result is too home made craft show. So you sacrafice a machined, clean proper appearance thats much darker for a totally wrong color that looks like your 4 yr old nephew got into your watch drawer and went to town on your 116660. Again, 100% agree with you brother. Just got duped by misleading QC pics. And for those of us living with the incorrect inserts, this is a clean professional look for a few bucks anyone can do.
QC pic
0f9e87cf438ee004fd084d3cb767c42a.jpg

What i got
1ef4aa837aa941de2b2d8c3fb3a39724.jpg

And to help make your point, here's one i received with correct insert
4a9abcd59c88d467696c37bf19be3802.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

I think this exact thing happens to a fair number of us-- insert looks good in the QC, but what arrives looks a bit different. That was exactly my situation, but like I said above, I'd make every effort to clean the stock insert before starting down the often deep, dark, modification hole...

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
Great write-up, and a nice contribution to the forum!

Having been down the paint rabbit hole myself, I've come to agree with @pilworx; sometimes chasing "perfection" results in a big fat mess that's significantly worse than what you started with. Some of the newer NOOB DSSD's have inserts that IMO are pretty damn good- not perfect, but definitely good enough, and far superior to some of the horrific, aluminium foil colored "sharpie-mods" I've seen. Also, many of the inserts are simply dirty-- they have oils, dirt, and God knows what else on them, just like some of the movements that look like they spent a month or two inside some Chinese person's underwear. Case in point, I received a NOOB V2 SD4K from a TD a few months back with an insert that I was initially VERY unhappy with. The paint was darker gray (grey for my UK friends, lol) than even the worse V7 subs I've seen. I was about ready to send it back to either send it back to the dealer (never a great idea IMO) or go for a SpongeBob mod when I did the unthinkable-- I gave it a good cleaning with some industrial hand cleaner followed by a little rubbing alcohol, and Presto!, I had a great looking insert. I wish I'd taken some before and after pictures, because it was pretty striking. But alas, I did not, and I've subsequently sold the watch as well. But I assure you, it's at least worth a try before you start your own paint shop...:)
Absolutely brother, and again so right you are. I can help you out, used several cleaning agents and was able to get it much brighter, just didn't have the metallic sheen of gen. Here's after cleaning with carb cleaner and alcohol as well
51b978dc213ad8280802d6fe4c29c586.jpg

A def improvement over the way it came. But here's what we have after mod
67ec5e084a444176c700f3e0a9cb7bf2.jpg

Idk, to me this is much closer. Thanks brother

Sent from the RWI App

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
I think this exact thing happens to a fair number of us-- insert looks good in the QC, but what arrives looks a bit different. That was exactly my situation, but like I said above, I'd make every effort to clean the stock insert before starting down the often deep, dark, modification hole...
Agreed

Sent from the RWI App

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
Hello to eveyone, before I start rambling, let me show you the end result of just about 2 months of trying everything ie ( paints, inks, dyes, bleaches and cleaners ) in an attempt to fix what otherwise, is a really good rep.

Noob V7 DSSD with a paint mod I came up with...View attachment 93564 View attachment 93565 View attachment 93567

Ok, now if you're not interested, you didn't have to read on till the end. For those who are, here we go...

So, One of my absolute favorites has been the deepsea. I especially like the size. Shape, like a sub on steroids. Being involved with replicas now since 2012 when i was about let go at a watch repair shop on jewlers row, Chicago, that i was interning at. Went home that night, accumulated my own equipment and been a( very spare time) watch smith focusing on replicas since. So i get the king of the hill. Noob, SA3135, v7 deepsea. Unbox,,, and big disappointment. It was a big factor to me. The dark, greyish, non metallic, thinly engraved bezel insert. As alot of us here are with it. Swapped out the SA for a Yuki. Standard mods ( Automatic works, winding bridge, setting wheels, winding pinion and i serviced and oiled)... Timed it View attachment 93576 Not bad for a chinese copy of a $2200 movement. Date wheel ( as you'll see in some shots) wasn't correct and misaligned. Gen took care of that. Now. The insert...... Thanks to this new found resource RWI, I began reading for a way to correct this eyesore. AND>>> the Sharpe mod was found. Before I read this thread, I had already blown through every silver marker my local office dept had. And no, didn't take any shots of this because, well, I hated it. Some of you doing this mod had success. Looked alot better than stock. I just couldn't make it work. Here, we are so critical with these replica watches, how anyone could live with the clumpy, wrong colored, goop in the markers, yelling out to anyone who seen it...Home made craft project, is beyond me. Then i found Steve (the spongbob). Amazing work. Orderd one of his up and in the int-rum, came up with something to make this livable. This post is two fold.... One, i wanted to contribute something I think, can change the look of any of the ceramic rolex reps for the better. And two, I respect all your opinions. If there's something someone can change or use in place of or something i could have done better....Let me know!!! That said, here's how i did it.

View attachment 93604
I've used Automotive paints, oil based paints, this combo did it for me.
Martha Stuart crafts Pure Platinum
Decorative Metallic Luster Silver spark ( dries to a waxy surface ) Waterproof....
Dr Phil Martins incandescent calligraphy ink #13r Nickel ( this had a brownish liquid in it i have removed leaving the heavy pigment behind and left it open to dry some ).

Now because i'm doing this after the fact, and i want to illistrate this can work on any bezel inlay really,
we can use this scrap insert piece. View attachment 93613 looks like v7 or v6 insert anyway. Because its relatively untouched there, I'll use the large flat marker there. Here's what you'll need along with a paint brush, and something to mix inView attachment 93614 View attachment 93614
So i start with a darker base, grab ol Martha

Next a couple clumps of the wax metallic luster

and last, grab another couple clumps from the nickel ink. stir them up for a few secs. then add about 2 table spoons of water. stir until it looks like thisView attachment 93617
Now using paint brush pick up a droplet of color and dab it into the marker, let it flow onto it. dont worry about it spilling over. you want the metallic to be even so just slop it on there. once its covering the whole marker, let it dry. I pop mine infront of my shop heater for 20mins.
You'll see it now (with water evaportated ) lining the marker. Now you can remove access. Again, let it dry for a few hours. Its now a shimmery, dried platinum white in the marker. Take the qtip and very softly begin buffing the marker. gently going back and forth, around the sides. it turns into a very shiny, metallic platinum color. super smooth. keep working it until you get your desired look. like thisView attachment 93618

And repeat for all the markers and numbers in the insert. I let it dry overnight but after that, Ive cleaned the insert with carb cleaner. Let it sit in water. It just stays in there because we're dealing with a wax not so much a paint. And here it is, compared to a gen bezel inlay side by side. At first I did this to make do until i can get the spongbob plated insert. Im pretty content with this now. but want to see the differences between them when the insert arrives.View attachment 93619
The color and the way it behaves, is very very gen like.It also makes the numbers and markers look bigger and deeper than they are because the sides are now reflecting giving it a 3d effect. I could't post any more shots to this message but if anyone wants to see anything just let me know. Any input or feedback is enthusiastically welcome. a very gen like insert appearance for under $25. Time to clean up the watch with a well needed rebrush and polish.
Just wanted to add some shots with different lighting conditions to illistrate the way the color behaves exactly like the gen pvd'd platinum. Off direct setting sunlight
06ae77104ab7bdd090c7f917bb7728dc.jpg

Same position, door closed, halogen lamps
c7ccfbc30cef3dfbf7d698bcdc1169f6.jpg

Close up of markers once paint has dried
dd7a82fd8701131d17ce6bf29c2e6903.jpg
e421cba512e8c81df6b9bc8c6949edb9.jpg

Nice wristy
96f5cf757a2e0f368d723682bd8b4b78.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
Just wanted to add some shots with different lighting conditions to illistrate the way the color behaves exactly like the gen pvd'd platinum. Off direct setting sunlight
06ae77104ab7bdd090c7f917bb7728dc.jpg

Same position, door closed, halogen lamps
c7ccfbc30cef3dfbf7d698bcdc1169f6.jpg

Close up of markers once paint has dried
dd7a82fd8701131d17ce6bf29c2e6903.jpg
e421cba512e8c81df6b9bc8c6949edb9.jpg

Nice wristy
96f5cf757a2e0f368d723682bd8b4b78.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

This last shot looks really incredible. That’s awesome man! Pm sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnightx

17/3/17
I was waiting for this thanks for putting the effort into it! :angel: