• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EXPLORER I 214270 2016 BASELWORLD 39MM V2 JF VS GEN

Major Tom

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/15
Thank you! In your opinion, should I go with ARF 904 or JFv2 316 and save some? Has anyone compared the two? Thanks again

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
I had both. Exactly the same, no difference whatsoever.

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
Thank you Therion666 Same factory as far as I know but you should think there would be a difference in color/feel/finishing of the material

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
Thank you Therion666 Same factory as far as I know but you should think there would be a difference in color/feel/finishing of the material

None at all, I've compared them in different light conditions, exactly the same. Anyone that tells you otherwise, hasn't seen them side by side. 904L is only more resistant to corrosion, it doesn't look any different. It's the polishing and brushing that makes the difference, but ARF and JF are the same thing. ARF to JF is, what Lexus is to Toyota. They've just found a new way to suck some more milk from that dried up ol' titty.

Reactions: Major Tom

fettersack111

Known Member
13/1/19
Germany
Thank you! In your opinion, should I go with ARF 904 or JFv2 316 and save some? Has anyone compared the two? Thanks again
I've have the ARF 904 for about a year now and I could not be happier. Tbh I belive the ARF dial is MUCH closer to gen than the JF. The lume is great, spacing next to perfect and the font is nice and thick. The movement is superb too. Rotor is dead quiet and the movement tick sounds just like my gen sub. Power reserve is a little on the low side tho.

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
I've have the ARF 904 for about a year now and I could not be happier. Tbh I belive the ARF dial is MUCH closer to gen than the JF. The lume is great, spacing next to perfect and the font is nice and thick. The movement is superb too. Rotor is dead quiet and the movement tick sounds just like my gen sub. Power reserve is a little on the low side tho.

JF and ARF share THE SAME dial with EXACTLY the same flaw ( numeral 3 way too round, completely off). It's the very same watch, the only difference is the use of 904 steel vs 316L with JF. You have no idea what you're talking about. If it has a low PR, you need to get it serviced, it takes OEM Rolex parts.

The only decent rep with a correct dial is the BP factory version. Fact.

Last edited:

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
JF and ARF share THE SAME dial with EXACTLY the same flaw ( numeral 3 way too round, completely off). It's the very same watch, the only difference is the use of 904 steel vs 316L with JF. You have no idea what you're talking about. If it has a low PR, you need to get it serviced, it takes OEM Rolex parts.

The only decent rep with a correct dial is the BP factory version. Fact.

Thanks for clearing that up. Thus, Rolex Explorer I 214270 39mm Black Dial Bracelet SA3132 BP? Or would you opt for the Asian 2836-2 ?

I assume there is only one BP version for each movement.

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
Well, I have extremely bad experience with SA movements ( they are inferior to SH), so I personally would choose the 2836 workhorse. But you have to know that the build quality of BP watches is not comparable to ARF/JF, so what you get is a not very well made watch with a correct dial. BP is OK, until you try an ARF/JF watch. It's mostly noticeable with the bracelets. The perfect watch would be an ARF with the BP dial.

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
Well, I have extremely bad experience with SA movements ( they are inferior to SH), so I personally would choose the 2836 workhorse. But you have to know that the build quality of BP watches is not comparable to ARF/JF, so what you get is a not very well made watch with a correct dial. BP is OK, until you try an ARF/JF watch. It's mostly noticeable with the bracelets. The perfect watch would be an ARF with the BP dial.

Very useful information, thank you so much!

Whynotsurf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/19
The real issue with the Reg version is the shorter minute, hand besides that it’s a great value if you happen to get a clean working version.

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
1f022f96a7419460f210e909b16c3571.jpg

JF EX1 still going strong

linarense

3/12/15
Europe, but World Citizen
Hi mates,

I have an exp 1 genuine dial+hands, and I have a BP watch. I’m thinking in franken it, but I will need a clone movement.

What’s the best version quality/price for use to franken?

Thanks in advance :)

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
Hi

Is JF EXP is still available? Cant find one in TD sites

JF moved to ARF... ARF Exp1 is equivalent to the older JF version. Look at BP’s version too, it has a slightly more accurate dial.