• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Set the time on the GMT II (CHS) A3186 movement

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
There is no clone A3187, it's the same 2824 CHS timebomb that is the subject of this post. It just has a fake engraving of 3187.

Thanks for that KJ2020.

Picked up a CHS Noob Explorer 2 recently and I suppose its time to invest in a winder then so I can set it and forget it once its set correctly then :)

Reactions: KJ2020

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
Thanks for that KJ2020.

Picked up a CHS Noob Explorer 2 recently and I suppose its time to invest in a winder then so I can set it and forget it once its set correctly then :)

Today, for no reason I can discern my relatively new watch has just stopped.
Had been running fine, on my wrist for the last 10days and just stopped.

Only action I've taken so far is to wind it @10 turns and give it a shake, with no change or tick.

What checks can I take to get this ticking again?
Or to confirm if I've been timebombed ;)

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
Today, for no reason I can discern my relatively new watch has just stopped.
Had been running fine, on my wrist for the last 10days and just stopped.

Only action I've taken so far is to wind it @10 turns and give it a shake, with no change or tick.

What checks can I take to get this ticking again?
Or to confirm if I've been timebombed ;)

Just to follow up on this.
The jumping hour hand still works, the GMT offset and time adjustment works but the watch won't run.
Is there a way to ascertain what the issue is?
Or do I just resign myself to swapping to ICHS?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Just to follow up on this.
The jumping hour hand still works, the GMT offset and time adjustment works but the watch won't run.
Is there a way to ascertain what the issue is?
Or do I just resign myself to swapping to ICHS?

This doesn't appear to be a CHS related issue. Suggest you open a new thread and ask for watchmaker support, or member suggestions on how to further troubleshoot. Be sure to post your location if you want people in your region to contact.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
This doesn't appear to be a CHS related issue. Suggest you open a new thread and ask for watchmaker support, or member suggestions on how to further troubleshoot. Be sure to post your location if you want people in your region to contact.

As always KJ, I will bow to your knowledge and take your advice. Thank you.

I had guessed that with the offset and jumping hour still working that it was likely something other than the gear being chewed.

I'll get that thread up and running soon.

Reactions: KJ2020

Noleex

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/11/18
Was anybody lucky to source a spare movement like the noob A3186 ?

Zstarblue

Looking Around
9/1/20
Vorrei acquistare un gmt2 mi piacerebbe con la posizione originale della lancetta GMT come da gen.. grande indecisione ..

Last edited:

markus_sp3

Looking Around
18/7/10
I have a CHS GMT II 116710LN that is a couple of years old. It's operation was faultless for a couple of years until the dreaded click spring issue broke it. I reached out to my trusted rep dealer, who offered to get it fixed. So I sent it back, waited a couple of months, and just got it back. I think it had a whole new movement put in it. But the date font looks terrible. Anybody know what the date wheel is out of, and if there is a recommended supplier of the"right" date wheel? Thanks.

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
Is it the same issue on the superclones like ARF SH3186 and the VRF SA3185 ?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Is it the same issue on the superclones like ARF SH3186 and the VRF SA3185 ?

It's too early to tell much. Forum watchmakers have recommended replacing the jump clicks on both the VR3185 and the SH3186 though as a couple have broken. The good news is they both have gen replacement parts.

Watch-Out

Known Member
1/2/20
SUPPORTER of RWI
Firstly, very helpful, thank you!

Some questions:
a) how many times winding the watch when stopped
b) how to wind it without causing damage (position 1, clockwise or not? Etc.)
c) this from the thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-faq/8017988-how-to-wind-your-rolex-watch
„Also never change the time/date etc from c1) 2200 hrs to 0200 hrs as the mechanism inside are starting to move cogs for a midnight changeover and certainly c2) never reverse the movement always turn clockwise to set date time etc.a)

c1) does this also apply for this movement IN ADDITION to the rule, not to set time when the GMT hand ist between 2200 and 0220?
c2) this is NOT guilty for this movement i guess?

In addition I found out that the GMT hand is 12 h slower then the hour, meaning the following: normally the GMT hand shouls follow the hour hand same speed all the time, correct? so two full circles in 24 h. I could observe that my hour hand catched the GMT hand after 12 hours and was in front of it from that time and after 24 h the GMT hand was in the sams position i had set it before, but it was half that fast as the hour, meaning: only one full circle and not two in 24h. Is this also a special issue because of CHS?

thanks to all answering

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Firstly, very helpful, thank you!

Some questions:
a) how many times winding the watch when stopped
b) how to wind it without causing damage (position 1, clockwise or not? Etc.)
c) this from the thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-faq/8017988-how-to-wind-your-rolex-watch
„Also never change the time/date etc from c1) 2200 hrs to 0200 hrs as the mechanism inside are starting to move cogs for a midnight changeover and certainly c2) never reverse the movement always turn clockwise to set date time etc.a)

c1) does this also apply for this movement IN ADDITION to the rule, not to set time when the GMT hand ist between 2200 and 0220?
c2) this is NOT guilty for this movement i guess?

In addition I found out that the GMT hand is 12 h slower then the hour, meaning the following: normally the GMT hand shouls follow the hour hand same speed all the time, correct? so two full circles in 24 h. I could observe that my hour hand catched the GMT hand after 12 hours and was in front of it from that time and after 24 h the GMT hand was in the sams position i had set it before, but it was half that fast as the hour, meaning: only one full circle and not two in 24h. Is this also a special issue because of CHS?

thanks to all answering

a) 40
b) pos. 1 CW
c1) change time any time.
do not change date between 2200-0200 LOCAL time as indicated by the HOUR hand.
c2) when changing DATE, advance hands FORWARD. On the 2824 CHS movement this is done by turning the crown CCW.

c1) do not worry about referring to the GMT hand when changing the DATE. See c1 above

c2) All ROLEX GMT reps and gen GMT hands are 24 hour hands

Noleex

Banned
8/11/18
I think the main rule is not to move it backwards in pos 2. But once you have set correct GMT and local time you don’t need pos 2 anymore to adjust. If it stops you simply adjust the time in pos 3 back again and the gmt hand automatically will be correct. I also set the date only in pos3, I know it’s a pain if you need to jump from 1th to 31, that will takes easily 10mins of your life but you r on a safe way not to break it.

Reactions: Watch-Out

Watch-Out

Known Member
1/2/20
SUPPORTER of RWI
a) 40
c1) change time any time.

Ok, I was confused because on p1 of this thread it was said that: "- Apparently never adjust any of the hands using a clockwise direction on the crown if possible (I found this impractical when setting the minute hand, and mine has not broken).
- I also noticed that moving my crown anti-clockwise changes the the time forwards, which seems to be the opposite to the gen, in which it would adjust the time forwards. So in short, the crown movement seems to adjust things backwards... A little bit strange, but none the less, something to be aware of." --> As a result I thought, that winding must be also anti-clockwise. Just to make it crystal clear: wind the watch clockwise not anti clockwise. For the rest (date, gmt etc.) anti-clockwise, correkt?

do not change date between 2200-0200 LOCAL time as indicated by the HOUR hand.

Affirmative! But isnt it the case, that if i would change the time in that period, that i automatically would be changing the date as well?

c2) when changing DATE, advance hands FORWARD. On the 2824 CHS movement this is done by turning the crown CCW.

Bear with me: can you specify/explain that in more detail as I am not native English speaker. I got the a3186. What do you mean with advance hands forward?

c1) do not worry about referring to the GMT hand when changing the DATE. See c1 above

But on p1 they say "- Never adjust the hour/date hand in position 2, whilst GMT hand is between 10:00 - 02:20. This will break the movement apparently." Now im confused?

c2) All ROLEX GMT reps and gen GMT hands are 24 hour hands

Maybe its a language thing: I dont understand it. Are you saying that it is normal, that the hour hand is moving x2 than the GMT hand? Because that is what I am seeing on my watch.

Thanks again in advance!

Additional question: can I wind the watch again even it is still running (to avoid itll stop soonly) and if so, also 40 or less windings?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Affirmative! But isnt it the case, that if i would change the time in that period, that i automatically would be changing the date as well?

Yes. This caution means don't adjust the DATE in crown position 2

Bear with me: can you specify/explain that in more detail as I am not native English speaker. I got the a3186. What do you mean with advance hands forward?

Hands forward = clockwise
Hands backwards = counter clockwise (CCW)
Crown can be rotated forward (CW) or backward (CCW)

For most rep GMT movements, rotating crown CCW moves hands CW. This is opposite of gen.

But on p1 they say "- Never adjust the hour/date hand in position 2, whilst GMT hand is between 10:00 - 02:20. This will break the movement apparently." Now im confused?

Disregard that warning

Maybe its a language thing: I dont understand it. Are you saying that it is normal, that the hour hand is moving x2 than the GMT hand? Because that is what I am seeing on my watch.

Yes it is normal

Thanks again in advance!

Additional question: can I wind the watch again even it is still running (to avoid itll stop soonly) and if so, also 40 or less windings?

Wind 40 always is OK, the mainspring will slip on excess. You can feel this it is not harmful

Reactions: Watch-Out

FPSMonkey

Banned
11/9/18
Im also looking to source a GMT II so thank you for this! How prone is the A3186 to breaking since it has more complex movement?

rahul1407

Horology Curious
27/3/20
I have replica 116710BLNR with 3186 movement. I was informed by the seller, that it was the top of the line product with exact replica movement. However I have noticed that when changing the date with the jump hour hand, on moving the hour hand back, the date does not move back to the previous day.
Is this normal for a replica 3186 movement