• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PCG 5513 Project - V1

dbane883

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/12
Hi guys,

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything meaningful here (not that this post is meaningful!).

Several months ago, I decided that my next project would be a PCG 5513. Having acquired a cal 1530 with the appropriate butterfly rotor, I looked for a case. Luckily (although $$ buys one a lot of luck), I found a genuine 1962 PCG case and decided that an explorer dial is the direction i wanted to go. The watch came complete, but had a more recent cal 1530 and a bad aftermarket dial.

Sadly, the mid case was poorly polished and the bevels were all but destroyed. This is what it looked like when I received it:

I can live with an unpolished case that has worn lugs, but I cannot live with a case that was recently polished poorly. As such, I proceeded to give the mid-case a complete make-over. While a NOS looking case may not be appropriate for a 1962 watch, it’s not uncommon to have the case-refreshed by professionals who know what they are doing. If a case is going to be polished, I’d rather have one done properly that one done poorly.

After several hours of surgery and taking steps to ensure the CG’s were minimally touched, here is the end result on the mid-case. I think it’s much more acceptable now:

For the dial. There was only one choice. Obviously he cannot be mentioned, but I decided I wanted a 3,6,9 “silvery†gilt dial, exclamation. There are several different varieties of 5512/5513 explorer dials, but I think the one I chose suits the build.

The hands are still a work in progress. While genuine, I am still seeking a set of flat hands. The hands I’m using now were a set I had lying around. It’s doesn’t look terrible, but I think flat hands would really finish off the project nicely.

Genuine cal 1530:

Caseback:

Most 5513’s in the early ’60’s used 5512 stamped casebacks. It came with the mid-case and despite the poor polishing, the case was in stellar condition. No corrosion whatsoever.

Complete specs:
Genuine ’62 5513 mid-case, caseback
Gen cal 1530
Gen Tropic 19 superdome
gen 5513 hands
custom redial
gen 700 twin-lock crown and tube
Gen bezel asembly
gen Uber-font “Long-5†insert (the only “kissing 50†long 5 i have ever seen)
Gen 7206 rivet bracelet with 80 endlinks

Just waiting to find the right hands, but until then, here are the semi-finished project:

Group shot:

On the wrist, the PCG 5513 feels great. I think it’s the slender profile that makes it so comfortable. It’s a little known fact, but the PCG cases were a tad thinner than regular CG 5513’s:

jelliottz

11/7/13
Once again I am thoroughly impressed. Fantastic job cleaning up the mid case. Excellent choice on the silvery gilt dial. It looks wonderful.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Remarkable work with this. Just beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

It´s love at first sight. It´s a DBane masterbuild. It´s stunningly beautiful:)

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
WOW ... what a geat outcome.

Anyone knows if there is a "standard" 5513 offered by any of our TD???? Excuse my ignorance as i am a noob on RLX.

Dr. Theo

Reactions: Lorologio

maestroa12349

10/3/16
I know this wasn't the point of the build, but I just can't get over how beautiful and saturated that bezel insert is. Overall a very magical piece you have crafted, my friend

dbane883

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/12
Updated. I installed genuine flat, period-correct hands:

c85fd3c59c70dfd337f8ec13db213a55.jpg