• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tips on applying the TC Date Wheel Overlay to the ETA 2824 date wheel?

r6538

25/6/13
I'm building a 16610, but am a little nervous about this one step. How feasible is it to get some nice alignment out of it? Does anyone have some tips for it?

Thanks!

r6538

25/6/13
I'm still pretty new here, mind helping me (and maybe anyone else?) out on who that is?

imajedi

15/8/13
I did it and it was my first try. I used four small dots sticky putty between the date wheel and the overlay that way I could keep adjusting. It worked great. The putty was strong enough to be permanent during normal use but supple enough to allow me endless iterations to find tune the alignment. Then it was just trial and error with the dial. Basically place the dial down and run through a few dates. Take the dial off and make small adjustment. Repeat till perfect.

r6538

25/6/13
My bad, thanks sanan!

Jedi, does the date wheel shift at all when you use sticky putty? I used dial dots, for example, to hold down a dial once. It kept shifting around, and I wanna make sure I avoid that

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
I use slow cure adhesive, and a 3D printed DWO tool :) Makes alignment so much easier. I use spare screwdriver blades in the dial feet holes of the watch secured with the feet clamps, and then place the dwo tool over the top, kind of like a mini version of those car to pillar lifts :p

Untitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SANY3161 by Micky.!, on Flickr

Its still a prototype tool really, and I'm always experimenting with it.

SANY3173 by Micky.!, on Flickr

Reactions: jp3007_1

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Here's my directions for installing DWO's. First, this really mostly applies to a 2836-2. When I use a 2824-2 I usually swap out the date wheel to one from a 2834 or 2836 since it raises the overlay to where it won't rub on the movement gears. The 2824-2 DW sits lower in the movement and you may have to actually raise the DWO slightly off the DW. That's a whole different set of problems.

Anyhow, I found a quick and simple way to align it. I first make sure the date wheel is in the proper position on the movement. You can see the spring that holds the date wheel in place roughly on the opposite side from the stem and make sure that is in the center of the two click feet that hold the DW in place. Then you know the DW is where it should be when the watch changes the date. That's important otherwise all the dates will set too high or too low.

Then put the dial onto the movement and make a small mark on the right hand edge of the date wheel, centered in date window. take off the dial and extend the mark all the way to the edge of the DW. This way you'll be able to see it after the overlay is put on. Take a good look and make sure that it's very well centered. Then, remove the dial and use that mark to center the date number. Let's say we use the number 1 and make we sure it's absolutely centered on the previous mark we made. Then center the whole overlay on the the date wheel making sure the number one stays centered on the mark. You can eyeball that and it's easy to see when all sides of the DW sticking out from the overlay are equal.

When you have the overlay perfectly centered on the DW and the number 1 still centered on the mark, you can drop the dial back on and run through the numbers and make minor adjustments as needed. Usually, if you followed directions and centered the overlay on the date wheel, all the numbers will line up perfectly.

Also take a good look at the back of the dial and make sure it's clean and nothing is sticking out. And you should be good to go.

After you've done it once, it probably takes longer to write this than it does to install an overlay

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Looks familiar, Micky :)

;) Any chance of another run of the tool mate? Had loads of people asking where they can get one. I have been forwarding them to you, so don't know if they have contacted you?

jerkstore

27/12/12
;) Any chance of another run of the tool mate? Had loads of people asking where they can get one. I have been forwarding them to you, so don't know if they have contacted you?

No run necessary. Shapeways has my design; they will print it to order. Anybody can buy it here:

http://shpws.me/pRgF

On your advice, I made the default black. Smart.

r6538

25/6/13
Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be ordering one of those tools from shapeways for sure - I wanna get this right on the first shot. How exactly does it work? Apply glue to back of DWO, place on DW, place tool on top w/ "dial feet," and slide tool down on top to check alignment? Then fix the alignment from there, checking with the tool repeatedly?

What are the 3 big notches for? Do I only use the little notches to align?

Thanks!

jtandme

Looking Around
29/4/13
Does anyone know where I can get a date overlay for a 2836-2 movement? I am new to the forum but enjoy reading the replies. Thanks for the assistance.

jtandme

Looking Around
29/4/13
Rsh, where do you get the actual date disk overlay, I have a 2836-2 and the date wheel is bad. I need to replace and the overlay as well. The overlay numbers are starting to disappear. Thanks for any assistance or guidance.

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Tc's is easy to align as it has marker points printed on the edge of the overlay. I use dial spots on 2824 so it raises it above any gears that need clearance. Not an issue on 2836. Not sure if bk's overlay has these.