• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The VSF Submariners Thread

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Exactly the same could be said about crown guards and rehaut misalignment etc, yet people still discuss them. Just pointing out that it is there, if the fan boys can’t accept that, so be it. I noticed it on the VSF’s I had so much it made me change the clasp on one and sell the other. Each to their own.

I mean you said ‘it’s very noticeable on someone’s wrist’, so I assumed you had actually noticed it on someone’s wrist. I can tell you the crown guards on a whatever are ass, but that’s not the same as saying those ass crown guards are very noticeable on someone’s wrist.

Reactions: KJ2020

Marky101

Known Member
3/5/21
I mean you said ‘it’s very noticeable on someone’s wrist’, so I assumed you had actually noticed it on someone’s wrist. I can tell you the crown guards on a whatever are ass, but that’s not the same as saying those ass crown guards are very noticeable on someone’s wrist.

Well in answer to your question I’ve noticed at least 3 VSF’s on people’s wrists over the last 6 months from the gap in the clasp. But my main point is, other individuals are still saying the clasp is identical to gen and the best available, however it isn’t. It’s also possible to tell a VSF from the way the cyclops distorts and shows funny numbers when looked at from a slight angle, more difficult to tell on the wrist, but still a very real tell from gen. if VSF’s are being discussed, it’s still good to make people aware of the few issues it does have, especially as so many people are starting “is this a real VSF” thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevstah and up2wind

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
You have a very fair point. The clasp does have a bigger gap than it should. It is a flaw. Cyclops distortion is another.
I’m going to do an ID guide and list the number of known flaws as ID markers against fake VSF’s.
Keep them coming if you can think of any we’ve missed, I’ll detail them all in a list.

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
jYpqcP.jpg

VSF 126610 franken. Runs amazing well.

Gen dial
Gen bezel
Gen insert
Gen crown
Gen auto wind module and rotor
Gen balance and bridge
Gen pallet fork
Gen escape wheel

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
jYpqcP.jpg

VSF 126610 franken. Runs amazing well.

Gen dial
Gen bezel
Gen insert
Gen crown
Gen auto wind module and rotor
Gen balance and bridge
Gen pallet fork
Gen escape wheel

Beautiful and wear it in good health. One question if i may ask, gen dial and gen insert VS vsf dial and insert, did you see any noticable difference?
Thanks in advance

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I'd love to see the movement, it must be 1:1.

Good question. Aside from the internal parts, there is not that much bang for buck to be had swapping out the bezel and dial with gen? The black VSF dial is like a black pool, I could dive into it.

I'm not taking anything away from it, it's stunning and if I had those parts to hand I'd use them too just as our man above has, quite right.

However, for those newbies reading, if you are starting from scratch with no gen parts, the best bang for buck upgrades to a VSF126610 would be another bracelet (cheapest upgrade, for the endlinks) hands and a crystal (for the cyclops). I'd start there. Those immediate in your face visual upgrades will instantly make it more gen like. However.. it's not going to pass the 20x loupe test until you do the dial and bezel and the internals etc.

If that franken was finished with a set of hands and crystal and some better endlinks, it would be dangerous! Hopefully Triplock will keep going with it.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Beautiful and wear it in good health. One question if i may ask, gen dial and gen insert VS vsf dial and insert, did you see any noticable difference?
Thanks in advance

I can't see a difference without a microscope. They are that close. There was no benefit to the upgrade other than being able to say I upgraded it.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I'd love to see the movement, it must be 1:1.

Good question. Aside from the internal parts, there is not that much bang for buck to be had swapping out the bezel and dial with gen? The black VSF dial is like a black pool, I could dive into it.

I'm not taking anything away from it, it's stunning and if I had those parts to hand I'd use them too just as our man above has, quite right.

However, for those newbies reading, if you are starting from scratch with no gen parts, the best bang for buck upgrades to a VSF126610 would be another bracelet (cheapest upgrade, for the endlinks) hands and a crystal (for the cyclops). I'd start there. Those immediate in your face visual upgrades will instantly make it more gen like. However.. it's not going to pass the 20x loupe test until you do the dial and bezel and the internals etc.

If that franken was finished with a set of hands and crystal and some better endlinks, it would be dangerous! Hopefully Triplock will keep going with it.

I would agree. The outside with gen bezel and dial looks nearly identical to the rep. I have one of each, and I can't tell them apart sitting next to each other. There's little bang for the buck with dial & bezel upgrade. The movement, however, is superb with genuine parts. That's where you see much more value than the outside, since the outside is nearly perfect.

I've never seen a gen bracelet for sale. If I do I will buy it.

I also did a SEL mod to recess them like the gen.

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
the bezel apparently looks very similar between vsf and gen, however once you have them in your hand you notice a huge difference. the scallops are different, the gen is fantastic very soft

Last edited:

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
I've been fortunate to get a few. Here's my replated all gold blue sub.

Probably the best I’ve seen but still way off the colour of real gold - 18k gold has a warmth about it that as of yet I haven’t seen anyone including the modders on here and elsewhere get anywhere near

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
No need for gen, links from any of the recent 126610 reps would do. Clean or RF for example.

I would buy a gen bracelet just to have it. It's definitely not needed, especially since I modded my SELs. It would just be really nice to have.

Jonlangley

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/10/20
Probably the best I’ve seen but still way off the colour of real gold - 18k gold has a warmth about it that as of yet I haven’t seen anyone including the modders on here and elsewhere get anywhere near

Thanks! It's tough to capture in pictures.

The person replating it has a very good colour mixture that is pretty spot on to the gen colour and has a few pics of a replate against a gen.

I've had a couple of gens, a yg day date and a two tone bluesy and the gold on both of those was a tad different from each other.

As long as it's not cheddar...I'm happy to be honest.

Reactions: c_hall100

TheChachi

10/9/18
I was after the VSF 116610LV for many months and I was lucky that a member responded to my WTB request. It certainly had not gone any smoother and I will thank him to this day I was able to get it from him. VSF was hands down the best OOTB Sub rep you could buy...period I remember not too long before they came out ZZF was all the rage. Then once VSF came out ZZF kind of faded away. VSF just did it better albeit a little bit. A ZZF Sub is still a banger of a watch. I would put them up at #2 behind VSF... #1 now I guess. I sure hope this is not an end of an era for VSF as they replicated many, many ICONIC watch designs in this hobby with a lot of success. I am a buyer of a VSF if anyone is deciding to sell.
jYRMF8.jpg

Reactions: Submariner23

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
Thanks! It's tough to capture in pictures.

The person replating it has a very good colour mixture that is pretty spot on to the gen colour and has a few pics of a replate against a gen.

I've had a couple of gens, a yg day date and a two tone bluesy and the gold on both of those was a tad different from each other.

As long as it's not cheddar...I'm happy to be honest.

Yeah completely agree, you’ll never get it spot on but it’s far better than stock that’s for sure.

I compare all mine with my gen day Date and I agree that all are different

Reactions: Jonlangley

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I can’t find it, but I posted recently a pic from TRF of a DD and a YG Sub both genuine, one old one new in the same pic, both very different colours of gold.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I wonder when we'll see something like this again. Looking at all the new releases this fall and they seem a million miles away from where VSF was a year ago.

55-A0-F2-C3-45-A3-4-B48-9380-82-D190629671.jpg