• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ROLEX BLUESY TWO-TONE RUSTING

watchlover999

Horology Curious
5/2/14
Hello, I bought a Rolex Submariner Two-Tone from Toro Bravo last year. I wore it probably twice. Given the pandemic I've mostly been home (working from home and no social gatherings). I've never worn this watch near water or never had any water spills or anything. But I see that the gold plating in the bracelet and clasp is rusting. The exact version of my watch is "Rolex Submariner 116613 LB 1:1 Best Edition YG Wrapped Bezel Blue Dial SS/YG Bracelet A2836 V8 Noob".

Did anyone else have this issue with their two-tone rep? I've had an Invicta for $90 that held up much better than this. This is one of the more expensive reps. Have to say I"m a little disappointed.
Also, if you've faced this issue before, any advice on how to fix this? I am attaching the pictures for reference. It doesn't come through very well in the pictures, but you will really notice it when you compare the gold-tone in the bracelet to the gold-tone in the bezel.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have had an issue with the plating on a Noob TT Sub bracelet. Before I ever wore it, I taped up the bracelet to "protect" it while I regulated it since moving the timegrapher mount around can knock the bracelet around and into itself or the mount parts.

When I removed the very mild adhesive tape, part of the top layer of "gold" came off on the tape. Obviously I should have just removed the bracelet but that too can cause issues with scratching the lug undersides or being a pain to reinstall.

bj9dL.jpg

bj1IQ.jpg

There is a very thin top layer of plating on these plated reps, which can be polished off with a buffing pad and some jeweler's rouge (or a dremel). It will expose the bottom, thicker layer which will be a slightly different shade but can be acceptable. Noobs often tend slightly more toward RG on the bottom layer but at least it would be uniform in color and sheen.

This is an example of what can be done after the top layer is removed. Work and pics Jonj480

jIIy4k.jpg

jII1go.jpg

jIInmJ.jpg

jII6PP.jpg

You other option would be re-plating in real gold, Nikz19 does that.

If your storage environment is humid, that can contribute significantly to this issue. I store all my plated reps in a closed box with about 20 packs of desiccant.

Last edited:

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Hello, I bought a Rolex Submariner Two-Tone from Toro Bravo last year. I wore it probably twice. Given the pandemic I've mostly been home (working from home and no social gatherings). I've never worn this watch near water or never had any water spills or anything. But I see that the gold plating in the bracelet and clasp is rusting. The exact version of my watch is "Rolex Submariner 116613 LB 1:1 Best Edition YG Wrapped Bezel Blue Dial SS/YG Bracelet A2836 V8 Noob".

Did anyone else have this issue with their two-tone rep? I've had an Invicta for $90 that held up much better than this. This is one of the more expensive reps. Have to say I"m a little disappointed.
Also, if you've faced this issue before, any advice on how to fix this? I am attaching the pictures for reference. It doesn't come through very well in the pictures, but you will really notice it when you compare the gold-tone in the bracelet to the gold-tone in the bezel.

That's not normal, that's extreme tarnishing.
Where do you live?
The copper adhesive reacted with something you did. You spray cologne on your wrists?

Your Invicta is a different plating process. It's PVD. Similar to what BP factory does.

Reactions: watchlover999

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
While extreme, what you are dealing with is a great example why buying a gold-plated rep is a bad idea.
You can try gently polishing it with "NEVRDULL" and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, buy a SS bracelet or put it on a leather strap.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
BPs are much better IME. All of my BPs are still pristine, some approaching 3 years old. I don't wear them while sweating, I wipe them down after wearing, I don't get them wet or dirty, and store them with desiccant.

15823122088698.jpg

Mr.JC

Renowned Member
11/9/16
My gold wrapped two-tone Rolex Datejust from GMF is holding up pretty well.
​​​​​​
IMG-20211020-110220060-HDR.jpg
IMG-20211020-110254283-2.jpg

The only area of concern is the center link on both sides of the lugs. These are the only two areas that have any sort of tarnish.

Would ketchup help to remove this? :eek:hwell:

Reactions: H S

H S

Smuggler
Patron
Certified
10/6/21
USA
My gold wrapped two-tone Rolex Datejust from GMF is holding up pretty well.
​​

I’m glad to hear this. I have a GMF wrapped 2-tone Root Beer in transit and I’m hoping there will be no issues in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Mr.JC

Mr.JC

Renowned Member
11/9/16
I’m glad to hear this. I have a GMF wrapped 2-tone Root Beer in transit and I’m hoping there will be no issues in the foreseeable future.

Good luck with that. I hope you get a good one. Personally I'm really hesitant to get anything in rose gold again after the gold wrapped Yacht-master. Soon as I got it I've noticed tarnishing on the case and bracelet right away. But I guess that can happen to any color variation of gold. Let us know your experience when you get it. I would still like to own a two-tone bluesy Submariner someday.

Does anyone know if the Clean version is any good?
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22680

Reactions: H S

H S

Smuggler
Patron
Certified
10/6/21
USA
Personally I'm really hesitant to get anything in rose gold again after the gold wrapped Yacht-master. Soon as I got it I've noticed tarnishing on the case and bracelet right away. But I guess that can happen to any color variation of gold. Let us know your experience when you get it.

I’m sorry to hear about your Yachtmaster. That sucks!

My JF V2 AP ROO Summer Edition is rose gold and it still looks pristine as far as I can tell. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope that the GMF Root Beer will be the same.

Reactions: Mr.JC

watchlover999

Horology Curious
5/2/14
Thanks for the input everyone! All good advice. I'll try to see if I can polish it off. If that doesn't work, I might have to order a bracelet and replace it. Anyone knows how much just the bracelet for the 2 tone sub bluesy would go for??

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the input everyone! All good advice. I'll try to see if I can polish it off. If that doesn't work, I might have to order a bracelet and replace it. Anyone knows how much just the bracelet for the 2 tone sub bluesy would go for??

Check M2M Sales. ARF bracelets are nice. Some factories' gold color is more orangey (VRF, VSF). BP is nice IMO. Some folks get stuck on whether the sides of the SEL mid link or other mid links are covered or not - just some things to consider.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...1-vsf-bluesie-two-tone-bracelet-116613lb-40mm

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
Being in the rep game for a few years I used to have this issue too. I remembered that sometimes polish or polish cloth can damage or rub off the little gold there, I think wrapped doesn't even contain gold if I remember correctly.

I always used just plain fluoride toothpaste. I would take an old toothbrush and toothpaste from the little ones and polish with that. It works great and won't harm the wrapping. Just make sure to properly clean off afterwards.

I stopped getting wrapped watches years ago and have been getting my frankens built with solid gold parts now so it's been a while but that was always my go-to!

Good luck, I am interested to see the results whatever you decide to do.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Good luck with that. I hope you get a good one. Personally I'm really hesitant to get anything in rose gold again after the gold wrapped Yacht-master. Soon as I got it I've noticed tarnishing on the case and bracelet right away. But I guess that can happen to any color variation of gold. Let us know your experience when you get it. I would still like to own a two-tone bluesy Submariner someday.

Does anyone know if the Clean version is any good?
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22680

Noob factory?

watchlover999

Horology Curious
5/2/14
Hello everyone, thanks for all the helpful feedback! Wanted to say that I took off my bracelet and tried the process in the video here. I was a little apprehensive at first but it seems to have reduced the tarnishing about 90%. It's not completely gone but quite acceptable. Let's see how long the results hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5GgDfNFySs

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Hello everyone, thanks for all the helpful feedback! Wanted to say that I took off my bracelet and tried the process in the video here. I was a little apprehensive at first but it seems to have reduced the tarnishing about 90%. It's not completely gone but quite acceptable. Let's see how long the results hold.

Post some pictures of the finished work.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Interesting that this worked since there is no real gold in rep plating.

Pics bro!

:ttiwwop: