• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about BLRO bezel inserts -- Noob versus CF

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
So with all the talk about the CF 126710 BLRO, I wanted to pose this question that's been on my mind...

I have a custom build that I bought from a modder on a different forum in November of last year, when the only game in town was the Noob with the timebomb movement. It has a variety of different parts from different factories (with a VRF 3186), and a Noob bezel and insert (the modder says it's a v11). Pictures below. The thing of it is, in stark light, it still gives off a brownish hue. Better, from what I understand, than the earlier versions, but still present. In lower light, it looks pretty good. And in any event, the photos still don't really capture how brown it can be -- it comes off as more red in the photos.
jLs655.jpg
jLs90p.jpg
jLs1Pb.jpg

From what I've seen, the CF has more of a vibrant red appearance, but in a lot of instances, looks extremely close to the Noob (I found this thread very useful: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...noob-pic-heavy). Of course, neither is 100% like the gen, but I can't help shake the feeling that CF is closer than my build (which again, was the best at the time).

So here's my question, for those who might know: is the CF bezel insert considerably better than the Noob? That is, in a way that's worth upgrading? And if so, is there a way to source just a CF bezel and insert to fit my build? Or would I have to buy a new CF (presumably the new v2) altogether?

I've pored over all of the photos of the CF and tried to determine, but it's hard using just the pictures. As always, any insight from the experts is much appreciated!

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
Just a humble bump to see if any resident experts or those with experience might have any views -- KJ2020 ? OldNavitimer ? macarone ? Anyone else who might know?

People have different opinions bro. The Noob join lines are less noticeable, but in most cases the transition points are better on the CF. The CF red is more red in color but the Noob blue is darker and can be preferable. You really need to evaluate them together in hand and decide for yourself. I've not seen the CF GMT inserts offered separately anywhere yet. Ask Li about it, if anyone could get one it would be him. I don't expect it to be cheap, the ZZF and Clean Sub inserts are crazy expensive. But it would be easy to flip if you don't keep it.

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
People have different opinions bro. The Noob join lines are less noticeable, but in most cases the transition points are better on the CF. The CF red is more red in color but the Noob blue is darker and can be preferable. You really need to evaluate them together in hand and decide for yourself. I've not seen the CF GMT inserts offered separately anywhere yet. Ask Li about it, if anyone could get one it would be him. I don't expect it to be cheap, the ZZF and Clean Sub inserts are crazy expensive. But it would be easy to flip if you don't keep it.

Thanks, man! The red of the CF definitely comes across more in pictures. I’ll try Li or in the alternative, pick up a CF and evaluate side-by-side.

Reactions: KJ2020

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
So I've been able to get my hands on a CF (the supposed v2), and looking at them side by side, there's not a huge amount of difference, but I think I prefer the CF.

Thing is, my BLRO with the Noob bezel (pictured above) is a custom build, with components from a few different factories, so I'd like to keep it over the CF, but swap the bezels between the two. Most relevantly, it has a GMF case, with the Noob bezel and insert. I will say that the movement is a lot tighter on my build, whereas the CF has a lot more play, so if I do switch them, I'd like to find a way to make the action on the CF bezel as good as that on the Noob. And, I've read over on the CF BLRO thread that the Bezel construction isn't great, with a lot of grease and ill-fitted insert.

KJ2020, and/or any other GMT experts (sorry to ask so many questions!) -- can the CF bezel and insert assembly fit a GMF case? Can the action be made tighter than it is on the CF case? And if so, is this something I could do, or is it better to send off to someone? (I've taken off bezels and inserts off of 6538 and 1675 reps, as well as a gen 16710, but the 6-digit ceramic inserts seem like a whole different ballgame.)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
So I've been able to get my hands on a CF (the supposed v2), and looking at them side by side, there's not a huge amount of difference, but I think I prefer the CF.

Thing is, my BLRO with the Noob bezel (pictured above) is a custom build, with components from a few different factories, so I'd like to keep it over the CF, but swap the bezels between the two. Most relevantly, it has a GMF case, with the Noob bezel and insert. I will say that the movement is a lot tighter on my build, whereas the CF has a lot more play, so if I do switch them, I'd like to find a way to make the action on the CF bezel as good as that on the Noob. And, I've read over on the CF BLRO thread that the Bezel construction isn't great, with a lot of grease and ill-fitted insert.

KJ2020, and/or any other GMT experts (sorry to ask so many questions!) -- can the CF bezel and insert assembly fit a GMF case? Can the action be made tighter than it is on the CF case? And if so, is this something I could do, or is it better to send off to someone? (I've taken off bezels and inserts off of 6538 and 1675 reps, as well as a gen 16710, but the 6-digit ceramic inserts seem like a whole different ballgame.)

If you are happy with the Noob bezel tightness I think you are asking for trouble trying to fit he CF bezel onto the GMF. There are more than a few reports of the bezel action on the CF being poor, and the parts (retaining ring, tension washer, 3 pin click ring) being inferior quality. The fit is so bad CF had to use large quantities of lubricant to help the bezel rotate.

Also, if you have a CF V1 bezel, it won't have a lip like the Pepsi is supposed to have. The Noob bezel is arguably the best looking rep Pepsi bezel.

If you really want the CF insert on your Franken, I would have it fitted to the Noob bezel and leave the rest well enough alone. The CF insert is quite a bit thinner than the Noob insert so the Noob bezel well needs to be built up with extra tape rings, a spacer, or a glue bed to bring the CF insert to a proper height. All simple tasks for someone who knows what they are doing. I would not take this on yourself if this is your first time tinkering with a ceramic insert.

Last edited:

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
Thanks for your prompt reply, KJ2020 ! Your advice is, as always, incredibly detailed and invaluable.

The CF is a v2, and definitely has more of a lip than the Noob does (CF on left, build with Noob on right):
Regarding finding someone who can do it -- do you offer services, or can you advise on someone in CONUS who might be able to do this?

And, assuming it can/will be done -- there's the opposite question, can the Noob insert fit into the CF assembly? I have no use for two of these, and would put up the CF with the Noob insert for sale if I decide to move the CF insert into my build.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
Thanks for your prompt reply, KJ2020 ! Your advice is, as always, incredibly detailed and invaluable.

The CF is a v2, and definitely has more of a lip than the Noob does (CF on left, build with Noob on right):
Regarding finding someone who can do it -- do you offer services, or can you advise on someone in CONUS who might be able to do this?

And, assuming it can/will be done -- there's the opposite question, can the Noob insert fit into the CF assembly? I have no use for two of these, and would put up the CF with the Noob insert for sale if I decide to move the CF insert into my build.

Bro that can't be a Noob Pepsi bezel - I've never seen one without a lip - compare to mine

jWPPdY.jpg

In any case what you want to do should be possible. If swapping the entire bezel assemblies, it may be best to swap the crystal retaining rings too to keep all the parts together. While this is being done, some tweaking can be done to the CF parts to achieve the best fit on the GMF case. Take a look at the Trusted Watchmaker section to find a modder. PM me if you need help finding one.

That CF V2 bezel lip is nice!

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
Bro that can't be a Noob Pepsi bezel - I've never seen one without a lip - compare to mine

jWPPdY.jpg

In any case what you want to do should be possible. If swapping the entire bezel assemblies, it may be best to swap the crystal retaining rings too to keep all the parts together. While this is being done, some tweaking can be done to the CF parts to achieve the best fit on the GMF case. Take a look at the Trusted Watchmaker section to find a modder. PM me if you need help finding one.

That CF V2 bezel lip is nice!

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

Thanks, man! It's definitely a Noob insert at least, based on the color and what I've seen online. I'll send you a PM.

shortlegs

31/5/19

Possible to post more comparison photos between the 2? I have a modded Noob, wondering if I should chuck it into the bin and get a CF instead. To me the bezel insert matters the most..

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
Possible to post more comparison photos between the 2? I have a modded Noob, wondering if I should chuck it into the bin and get a CF instead. To me the bezel insert matters the most..

I can do so, but would recommend first checking out this thread mentioned in the original post, if you haven't already -- a ton of good photos here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...s/10059246-pepsi-comparo-cf-vs-noob-pic-heavy

It’s a Noob insert but not a Noob bezel as KJ points out, it’s probably the gmt bezel like the case so the main advantage is lost so I’d go with CF buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! You mean just put the whole CF bezel on my piece?

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.

Esprit007

Patron
Certified
8/11/15
CONUS
Just wanted to update with the happy ending -- was able to retain the services of the living legend Oascom to do the swap in question, and the final result is, as the kids say, "chef's kiss" --
Thanks to oascom for his incredible skills and KJ2020 for all of the advice and patience!

Reactions: Oascom and KJ2020