• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

THE DC PROJECT: RM010 dial modding

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I recently acquired a rose gold RM010, continuing to peruse my obsession with Richard Mille, but also I'd had an idea for modding the dial that I was keen to try out.

The watch arrived a few days ago and overall I'm really impressed with it.

IMG_9627.jpg

But no time to enjoy it, I bought it with a mod in mind, so it's time to get cracking.

Here's the plan (which is still evolving as I write this)! The biggest let down of this watch for me, having owned one in steel previously, is the dial. It just doesn't quite do a good enough job of representing the gen.

Here's the gen...

IMG_9441.jpg

Yeah I know it's beautiful isn't it!? And here's the rep...

IMG_9658.jpg

So let's zoom in on the problem area.

Gen...

IMG_9662.png

Rep...

IMG_9660.png

You can see the issue. But I did notice that they had made some attempt to replicate the dial components, specifically the areas highlighted here...

Gen...

IMG_9663.jpg

And you can see the corresponding parts here on the rep...

IMG_9661.jpg

See what I mean? It looks like a punched metal plate, or maybe plastic, but it's gloss black which is noting like the gen. So I'm hoping this part can be separated from the rest of the dial components, and painted to look a little more like the gen!

At this stage I'm hoping the white scale running around the edge of the dial is printed on the same crystal layer as the numerals, and not on the part I want to paint, otherwise it could be a very short lived plan.

So, let's get her open and have a look at what's what!

I had imagined I could just remove the caseback and remove the moment from behind without completely taking it apart, but it transpires that the strap screws actually secure right through the case and into the caseback, which isn't the case on other RM reps I've opened, so off comes the strap, bezel and caseback.

IMG_9632.jpg

Et voilá, one undressed RM010

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

Then the crown comes out with a press of the crown release button...

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

Hands off...

IMG_9637.jpg

Now I can take the movement out... right?

Wrong!

It looks as though the four screws in the corners hold the movement in place from the back, so whipped them off...

IMG_9638.jpg

And fully expected the movement and its holder to come falling out, but nope...

IMG_9639.jpg

Just sat there and wouldn't budge. So god knows if the screws are just for aesthetics or not, but the movement must come out somehow. I didn't want to give it too much force so decided to head back to the dial side and see if I could take it apart from the front to get to the part I need to work on.

The collar with the hour markers levered off ok with the help of tweezers and a small screwdriver. It's secured with a couple of sticky pads (dial dots?!)....

IMG_9640.jpg

But the actual dial itself was a little trickier. I must admit it didn't occur to me that it might be screwed into to the movement with dial feet, but it prised off in the end, and there were a couple of small locator feet but they didn't look substantial enough to be screwed in to.

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

And there she goes. This is where I'd hoped the crystal (it's actually just clear plastic) and the decorated plate would just be located together with little pins or something and would fall apart. But no, that's a fully glued dial sandwich.

Back to gently prising with tweezers and screwdriver, and eventually managed to separate the two...

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

So here is the offending article.

IMG_9645.jpg

It's really light and I kinda thought it might even be plastic which would be disappointing as it would be harder to prep and more delicate so likely to snap or break. But I bravely laid out some professional finishing paper and got to work sanding off the horrible high gloss black finish.

IMG_9646.jpg

First peek and I can see bare metal peeking through, that's good news...

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

Once finished it's into a jar of cleaning solution to make sure it's nice a clean ready for painting...

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

And for now that's it, she's ready for painting. The cleaning revealed a really nice golden colour, so I'm guessing it's brass?!

IMG_9652.jpg

Next up will be a trip to my spray booth (otherwise known as my back garden).

IMG_9664.jpg

You've heard of 50 shades of grey, well this is 3 shades of grey, lol!

Will update this thread when I get around to doing the spraying. There will be quite a bit of masking up the different areas to do so could be fiddly!

Hope you enjoyed!!

DC

D

d4m.test

I recently acquired a rose gold RM010, continuing to peruse my obsession with Richard Mille, but also I'd had an idea for modding the dial that I was keen to try out.

The watch arrived a few days ago and overall I'm really impressed with it.

IMG_9627.jpg

But no time to enjoy it, I bought it with a mod in mind, so it's time to get cracking.

Here's the plan (which is still evolving as I write this)! The biggest let down of this watch for me, having owned one in steel previously, is the dial. It just doesn't quite do a good enough job of representing the gen.

Here's the gen...

IMG_9441.jpg

Yeah I know it's beautiful isn't it!? And here's the rep...

IMG_9658.jpg

So let's zoom in on the problem area.

Gen...

IMG_9662.png

Rep...

IMG_9660.png

You can see the issue. But I did notice that they had made some attempt to replicate the dial components, specifically the areas highlighted here...

Gen...

IMG_9663.jpg

And you can see the corresponding parts here on the rep...

IMG_9661.jpg

See what I mean? It looks like a punched metal plate, or maybe plastic, but it's gloss black which is noting like the gen. So I'm hoping this part can be separated from the rest of the dial components, and painted to look a little more like the gen!

At this stage I'm hoping the white scale running around the edge of the dial is printed on the same crystal layer as the numerals, and not on the part I want to paint, otherwise it could be a very short lived plan.

So, let's get her open and have a look at what's what!

I had imagined I could just remove the caseback and remove the moment from behind without completely taking it apart, but it transpires that the strap screws actually secure right through the case and into the caseback, which isn't the case on other RM reps I've opened, so off comes the strap, bezel and caseback.

IMG_9632.jpg

Et voilá, one undressed RM010

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

Then the crown comes out with a press of the crown release button...

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

Hands off...

IMG_9637.jpg

Now I can take the movement out... right?

Wrong!

It looks as though the four screws in the corners hold the movement in place from the back, so whipped them off...

IMG_9638.jpg

And fully expected the movement and its holder to come falling out, but nope...

IMG_9639.jpg

Just sat there and wouldn't budge. So god knows if the screws are just for aesthetics or not, but the movement must come out somehow. I didn't want to give it too much force so decided to head back to the dial side and see if I could take it apart from the front to get to the part I need to work on.

The collar with the hour markers levered off ok with the help of tweezers and a small screwdriver. It's secured with a couple of sticky pads (dial dots?!)....

IMG_9640.jpg

But the actual dial itself was a little trickier. I must admit it didn't occur to me that it might be screwed into to the movement with dial feet, but it prised off in the end, and there were a couple of small locator feet but they didn't look substantial enough to be screwed in to.

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

And there she goes. This is where I'd hoped the crystal (it's actually just clear plastic) and the decorated plate would just be located together with little pins or something and would fall apart. But no, that's a fully glued dial sandwich.

Back to gently prising with tweezers and screwdriver, and eventually managed to separate the two...

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

So here is the offending article.

IMG_9645.jpg

It's really light and I kinda thought it might even be plastic which would be disappointing as it would be harder to prep and more delicate so likely to snap or break. But I bravely laid out some professional finishing paper and got to work sanding off the horrible high gloss black finish.

IMG_9646.jpg

First peek and I can see bare metal peeking through, that's good news...

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

Once finished it's into a jar of cleaning solution to make sure it's nice a clean ready for painting...

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

And for now that's it, she's ready for painting. The cleaning revealed a really nice golden colour, so I'm guessing it's brass?!

IMG_9652.jpg

Next up will be a trip to my spray booth (otherwise known as my back garden).

IMG_9664.jpg

You've heard of 50 shades of grey, well this is 3 shades of grey, lol!

Will update this thread when I get around to doing the spraying. There will be quite a bit of masking up the different areas to do so could be fiddly!

Hope you enjoyed!!

DC

Wow that was super ...thanks for sharing this! I know nothing about taking a watch apart and would not attempt it myself....but it’s great to see this ! Looking forward to the next episode!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Thanks mate!

I didn't know anything about taking a watch apart either, just decided to give it a go one day. Trial and error basically, and a steady hand (which I don't have thanks to steroids to control asthma)!

It's very rewarding though!

DC

CartierMalone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/6/17
this is awesome; been thinking about taking the hobby up another level and learning how to take apart/mod my reps... this is inspiring!

racingeagle

Known Member
9/4/16
Which dealer did you pick up the RM10, as I didn’t see it on my normal go to places? Thanks

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
Very nice !!! More of this !!! Keep us updated and show us your result :) i hope it turn out nice.

barbosa

Horology Curious
12/7/15
congratulations!!!!! i have this one, and i'm waiting to see the result .

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
Cant wait for the finished paint! Goos luck!

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
Cool project! Thanks for sharing it. Don't think I would have the skills or patience for this.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Subscribed. Cool project!
Looking forward to seeing it completed.

barbosa

Horology Curious
12/7/15
Are you thinking to do a 2xAr for this watch? A think that I don't like in this watch is the buckle ...

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
@_DC_ you are the pioneer of this section :D on all the RM out there i think this is the only one i can pull of smooth and want. but not in gold :D :D :D

duke2178

Known Member
1/8/15
Above awesome. You sir have the hands of a surgeon. Neuro ... that is. You also have the same model spray booth as i do.

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
DC is doing it again! After his superb Patek Worldtime painting mod he is back at it again! :D

Nice bro!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
DC is doing it again! After his superb Patek Worldtime painting mod he is back at it again! :D

Nice bro!

Cheers buddy!

Planning to do a little more on this tomorrow as I have a day off, will try and update the thread with progress!

DC

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Cheers buddy!

Planning to do a little more on this tomorrow as I have a day off, will try and update the thread with progress!

DC

Super stoked about the result. Did you already managed to find a sandblaster for your ceramic piece?