• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

shipping to EU, brexit issues, EU customs issues

azbank

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/3/13
EU
Anyone ordered anything recently to EU? I want to order to Austria and wonder if there are any customs issues.

Previously, I was ordering through the UK, but now after brexit I am not sure what should I do.

Please advise about your experience. Thank you!

Reactions: Haltec

Ezio

Renowned Member
21/1/14
I had no problems several buys from dealers and m2m

en_nissen

Horology Curious
13/5/21
I've got no experience yet, but as far as I know, triangular shipping uses another country since brexit. The Netherlands or something like that, if I recall correctly.

So right now I don't think there's any issues, but no one knows how things will be after 1st of July, after which there's no minimum amount of value for VAT to apply.

One can only guess how that will affect how many packages are opened/inspected, but I'm sure the rep market will adapt.

Giannos7

10/11/20
Another guy here has ordered from Sead's UK stock to Greece without any issues. I haven't tried ordering myself after Brexit but maybe i will.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hello azbank

Dont Worry. Triangle shipping still works.

JTIME for example (jtime.cc) ships depending on your country via:
  • Hong Kong
  • Netherlands
  • United Kingdom
I always got my packages from HongKong (i am based in Switzerland).
My friend orderd to turkye at trustytime.io, package went triangle over Netherlands.

TDs have good networks. If they say its possible to ship to your country, then trust them:)

Reactions: en_nissen

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
Hello azbank

Dont Worry. Triangle shipping still works.

JTIME for example (jtime.cc) ships depending on your country via:
  • Hong Kong
  • Netherlands
  • United Kingdom
I always got my packages from HongKong (i am based in Switzerland).
My friend orderd to turkye at trustytime.io, package went triangle over Netherlands.

TDs have good networks. If they say its possible to ship to your country, then trust them:)
Hi, do you get them directly to Switzerland or do you pick it up in Germany?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Straight to Switzerland. Coming from abroad to the EU is more difficult for a parcel than coming directly to Switzerland. HongKong as the sender is sufficient as a triangle. Trusty even sent me direct from China several times and it was fine.

It is important to observe the duty-free limit. Sorry, information only in German

Reactions: Stuessi

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
Straight to Switzerland. Coming from abroad to the EU is more difficult for a parcel than coming directly to Switzerland. HongKong as the sender is sufficient as a triangle. Trusty even sent me direct from China several times and it was fine.

It is important to observe the duty-free limit. Sorry, information only in German
I am swiss too, so far i only had them shipped via uk to germany and pick it up as i thought our customs are very strict..

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe

That is interesting. Here in Germany the "Wertfreigrenze" is only for the things, you have in your baggage, when you cross the border. For international shippings the ammount is with 28 Euro much smaller. And this a practical problem. A shipping with FedEx from the US that has a declared value of 15 US$ is off course suspicious for the custom officers. Who pays 50 US$ FedEx-Fees for a cheap peace of crap?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I am swiss too, so far i only had them shipped via uk to germany and pick it up as i thought our customs are very strict..

Our customs are strict? LOL

80k small parcels arrive at customs in Switzerland every day. The customs officers have enough to do. If a customs value falls within the duty-free limit and fits the weight and content, no customs officer will open a package as a random sample. These are valuable working hours of a customs officer who earns 5k per month, the customs do not want to risk opening packages with a declared value of 12USD and at the end of the day finding that the value of the goods is correct - the risk is too expensive in terms of quantity.

Therefore:
Tool, accessories, gift, timer, etc declaration
under 30chf

thats it. China -> Switzerland directly without any problems.
So far I only had one item at customs from my 850 packages from China, and it was there because the declaration was given as "Laser".

That is interesting. Here in Germany the "Wertfreigrenze" is only for the things, you have in your baggage, when you cross the border. For international shippings the ammount is with 28 Euro much smaller. And this a practical problem. A shipping with FedEx from the US that has a declared value of 15 US$ is off course suspicious for the custom officers. Who pays 50 US$ FedEx-Fees for a cheap peace of crap?

Yes thats tricky. So you have to get it via NL in the EU, after that there is no problem. Thats why there is something like Zollfreigrenze;)

MiMo62

24/4/20

On 01.07.2021, within 5 weeks, the custom free value of 22€ will be history!
Every, no exception, consignment from outside EU must have a custom declaration with value for tax!!!!!
And two weeks later there will be a new EU-MarketMonitoringRegulation for some more regulation rules in progress!!!!

Reactions: Blaze20

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
On 01.07.2021, within 5 weeks, the custom free value of 22€ will be history!
Every, no exception, consignment from outside EU must have a custom declaration with value for tax!!!!!
And two weeks later there will be a new EU-MarketMonitoringRegulation for some more regulation rules in progress!!!!

Yes, we will see how the TD manage this with their triangle. Maybee the shipping cost will rise a little bit, cause in the end the VAT from the "taxable value" comes on top. If a TD sends the watch for example as bracelet with a price of 20 Euro via Belgium, this will add up 4,20 Euro to the price. Thats not breaking our necks.

Reactions: Grillo

Stops

Known Member
13/12/09
EU
Correct. I'm holding off on ordering anything until 1.7. passes to see how TDs, Aliexpress etc. will adapt to charging tax.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Correct. I'm holding off on ordering anything until 1.7. passes to see how TDs, Aliexpress etc. will adapt to charging tax.

I guess most AliExpress-Sellers will simply declare the taxable value with 5 Euro, cause then the VAT is lower than 1 Euro and under the threshold for small ammounts - like they do now for goods over 28 Euro.

Last edited:

Stops

Known Member
13/12/09
EU
I guess most AliExpress-Sellers will simply declare the taxable value with 5 Euro, cause then the VAT is lower than 1 Euro and under the threshold for small ammounts - like they do now for goods over 28 Euro.

I think Aliexpress will automatically show VAT in the cart. If I'm not mistaken this is already the case in UK? Because there is no way that my country's post or customs will have the ability to stop every package that comes from China and try to get an invoice so they can charge VAT.

I'm hoping this will also make ordering watches easier because if TD's find a way to declare that the VAT was actually payed then packages will never end up at customs. The amount declared can even be higher then... anything up to approx 150€

Reactions: JayBee0815

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
This is a big issue for my country, customs already inspect 99% of packages outside of EU.

Yes, they have nothing better to do. Even those marked under EUR 20. That way they can charge customs and even handling fee if they deem that the value exceeds EUR 20. If not easy, they tape it up and send it to you.

I am pretty lucky to have received 2 packages this year, both from JTime. The first package I chose triangle shipping to the Netherlands first. I was not advised that it will be just forwarded (like the same aliexpress, etc methods). This is a big problem as they will affix a sticker saying that the goods do not meet article bla bla of the EU, which means they come direct from China and require inspection. Turns out, I was very lucky that this sticker was not affixed. (Thank God, as this package had a DJ41 and 126610LV)

Second package I tried using UK triangle. Was marked as gift, arrived and not inspected luckily, so I will use that for now.

I am confident they will find a way, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
This is a big issue for my country, customs already inspect 99% of packages outside of EU.

Yes, they have nothing better to do. Even those marked under EUR 20. That way they can charge customs and even handling fee if they deem that the value exceeds EUR 20. If not easy, they tape it up and send it to you.

I am pretty lucky to have received 2 packages this year, both from JTime. The first package I chose triangle shipping to the Netherlands first. I was not advised that it will be just forwarded (like the same aliexpress, etc methods). This is a big problem as they will affix a sticker saying that the goods do not meet article bla bla of the EU, which means they come direct from China and require inspection. Turns out, I was very lucky that this sticker was not affixed. (Thank God, as this package had a DJ41 and 126610LV)

Second package I tried using UK triangle. Was marked as gift, arrived and not inspected luckily, so I will use that for now.

I am confident they will find a way, but we'll just have to wait and see.

For you the best option should be triangle via 4px or a TD, who has an shipping agent in the EU, who does a real triangle and sends a new packet from inside the EU.

Reactions: wubsub