• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Who wears their reps while doing sport?

Trowt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/20
I’m a keen clay pigeon shooter. I never wear a watch when shooting as I’m nervous about recoil damaging the movement etc. Plenty of people here seem to swim in their watches and many of my shooting buddies also wear watches (gens/reps - I’ve not looked closely enough). Am I being over cautious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I think you're being too overly cautious. I wear my watches with every activity I do, from swimming, shooting, to riding roller coasters. I've even worn them while slipping and falling on the ice. :football:

Reactions: Trowt and p0pperini

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Sex count?

Vm83r8.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Well, if you're anything like me, you'll only have to glance in the direction of a piece of "activity" and you'll chip a crystal. Because of that, I've made a simple decision: Avoid engaging in any activity.

Reactions: YellowFin and Trowt

Dralkan

Known Member
15/7/20
US - East
One thing that I really like about reps is not having to worry about damaging a several thousand dollar watch and having to pay a lot of money to repair it. I've had a couple of "expensive" watches but I've always been afraid to wear them anywhere other than to the office. Since I've gotten into the rep game I feel much more comfortable wearing a nice 300 - 500 dollar rep all the time no matter the activity. I've taken reps to the shooting range, working on my project car, woodworking, yard work, swimming etc and not have to be concerned with damaging a very expensive watch. I do treat my reps with the utmost respect but I much rather damage a rep then a gen. Also since I've gotten into watch repair / making I feel even more comfortable in wearing nice (rep or gen) watches doing "spirited activities" because I have confidence that I will be able to fix them if/when something goes wrong. I've gotten to the point where I almost want something to happen to my watches so i have a new project to work on :)

TLDR Wear your watches and enjoy them :)

Last edited:

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I golf (a lot) wearing any and all of mine. Also have put 20+ years golfing, skiing, and assorted other activities with my gen DJ. Never had an issue...in fact, the point made above about not having to worry about damaging an expensive gen is spot on.

Trowt

31/5/20
I think you're being too overly cautious. I wear my watches with every activity I do, from swimming, shooting, to riding roller coasters. I've even worn them while slipping and falling on the ice. :football:

Good to know - thanks

Trowt

31/5/20
One thing that I really like about reps is not having to worry about damaging a several thousand dollar watch and having to pay a lot of money to repair it. I've had a couple of "expensive" watches but I've always been afraid to wear them anywhere other than to the office. Since I've gotten into the rep game I feel much more comfortable wearing a nice 300 - 500 dollar rep all the time no matter the activity. I've taken reps to the shooting range, working on my project car, woodworking, yard work, swimming etc and not have to be concerned with damaging a very expensive watch. I do treat my reps with the utmost respect but I much rather damage a rep then a gen. Also since I've gotten into watch repair / making I feel even more comfortable in wearing nice (rep or gen) watches doing "spirited activities" because I have confidence that I will be able to fix them if/when something goes wrong. I've gotten to the point where I almost want something to happen to my watches so i have a new project to work on :)

TLDR Wear your watches and enjoy them :)

Thank you - that’s really sensible advice. YOLO right?

Trowt

31/5/20
Well, if you're anything like me, you'll only have to glance in the direction of a piece of "activity" and you'll chip a crystal. Because of that, I've made a simple decision: Avoid engaging in any activity.

Not much comes between me and my shooting - so I'll have to say I've got to stick with a little activity! On a different note, maybe chipping a crystal would be the push (just maybe) to make me start looking at learning to do repairs myself

Last edited:

Trowt

31/5/20
I golf (a lot) wearing any and all of mine. Also have put 20+ years golfing, skiing, and assorted other activities with my gen DJ. Never had an issue...in fact, the point made above about not having to worry about damaging an expensive gen is spot on.

Good point and good advice - just a little nervous when I read of rotors/screws rattling round inside the case lol

Trowt

31/5/20
I wore my Seiko SNK803 to Afghanistan and came back home in one piece with me. Still running strong after 10+ years :)

Very glad you both survived to tell the tale, sir!

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
On a different note, maybe chipping a crystal would be the push (just maybe) to make me start looking at learning to do repairs myself?

Thanks for the advice. ;)