• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SEIZED BY CUSTOMS

dwnash

Horology Curious
7/6/20
Charlotte, NC
Notified by DHL that customs had seized the two VERY sweet watches I ordered from Ryan. He'll replace them once I get the letter from customs about the seizure. Does this happen often? The first two watches I ordered from him came in, two days early, without a hitch.

Last edited:

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
Is what it is.
Par for the course.
Some days you’re the bug and some days you’re the wind shield.

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
One of those things, the most important thing is not to acknowledge or reply to any letters you my get from lawyers representing the gen watch brand, demanding or implying a fine or demanding that you sign promising not to "import" any further watches. You may not get any letters but sometimes these lawyers follow seizures up.

Rat Killer

Known Member
Certified
5/4/20
Notified by DHL that customs had seized the two VERY sweet watches I ordered from Ryan. He'll replace them once I get the letter from customs about the seizure. Does this happen often? The first two watches I ordered from him came in, two days early, without a hitch.

Just curious, when you tracked the package, where was your watch going through customs? And from what country was it shipping from?

dwnash

Horology Curious
7/6/20
Charlotte, NC
Rat Killer...when it got to Charlotte (where I live), DHL said Customs requested the package from here.

Last edited:

Rat Killer

Known Member
Certified
5/4/20
Interesting. Would have thought once it cleared in Cincinnati it was home free. Guess not.
I have gotten 2 reps in 2 different shipments via DHL in the last 6 weeks. One was shipped from Bahrain and the other from Singapore but thankfully both made it fine. Thanks for posting the detail. Not sure what I learned other than just because its left the customs house does not mean its cleared....

tenx139

Renowned Member
16/5/19
US
I experienced a seizure in April at my local DHL hub. I received a letter from DHS in two days from seizure. It stated I had rights to contest the seizure and provide information to claim it was authentic. I took the advice from others on this forum, and did nothing. I forwarded the letter to the TD, they insisted that I should call and try to work out something with DHL, since the tracking says Call DHL. After a few weeks of round and round, they agreed to re-ship and watch arrived safely. About 3 months after the seizure I received another letter from DHS stating the watch would be destroyed if I didn’t respond.
b9dd4fef50bee216b26340c7d31cc57d.plist

Reactions: Wonky Cyclops

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
I agree. Try and work something out with TD. Avoid any headaches from dhl. Don't respond consider it an occupational hazard in this thing of ours

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Rat Killer...when it got to Charlotte (where I live), DHL said Customs requested the package from here.

I suggest you erase the waybill number on your attachment or remove the attachment altogether. That watch almost made it to the finish line.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16

I had all the same questions circling through my head years ago when I had my 3rd rep seized. Since that time I have bought probably 50 new watches from various TD's and haven't had another one seized.

The one I had seized was sent using DHL as well, but I've since received others via DHL without any trouble. It does seem as though by far the most customs seizures that members talk about come from shipments going through DHL. I know all the TD's are aware of DHL issues, but somehow they still use them sometimes. I have no idea why that is, but they must have their reasons.

It'll take a while before you get your watches, but Ryan will make it right. The worst part of the whole thing is having to wait another month or two before the watches show.

Don't reply to any letters and don't bother calling or doing anything any of the letters say to do. Just do nothing and show everything to Ryan. You'll get your watches.

HG 2000

Supporter
22/7/20
I also understand the thoughts going on in your mind. I had a watch seized last month and it was my first time. Researching what to do is actually what brought me to this site.
What’s interesting about yours, that others have stated, is that it passed through one round of customs clearance.
Mine was seized via DHL shipment as well. I just wish I purchased it from a TD like I have found from this site.

Just do nothing is the best advice. No need to respond. They will destroy it.... or a customs official will have a nice new watch.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
.... or a customs official will have a nice new watch.

I think this....

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. At least the next time it happens to you it'll be coming from a TD and you will eventually get the watch.

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Thanks for the informative comments. This issue had me scared but I received my TD watch promptly and without problems.

Reactions: dwnash

dwnash

Horology Curious
7/6/20
Charlotte, NC
How long did it take for you to get the letter from customs? My watches were seized on August 15th and no letter yet.

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
bought 7 reps via DHL through Ryan and so far nothing seized. I guess it’s pure luck