• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

<40mm tendency in replica world?

saibot

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Spain
I noticed that this trend of big watches is slowly coming to an end with the new trend of vintage watches.
Do you think there will be a tendency also in chinese replica factories to make more small watches?
I will be cheerful because a have a small wrist and something bigger than 44mm (lug to lug) is not suitable for me.

Reactions: Mille Voci

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo
I think that there are plenty of options out there for both small and large watch wearers. The factories only reproduce (for the most part) the same watches that are released by the real deals, so it depends on what trends emerge in the future.

saibot

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Spain
I was checking all watches in the Super Reps / NWBIGs post and selecting "sport" watches I can only spot 2 or 3 watches smaller than 40mm...
I just ordered a UBF Oyster Perpetual 34mm in Red Grape but I know it's not a top replica. I'm looking for more of that type of watches...

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I noticed that this trend of big watches is slowly coming to an end with the new trend of vintage watches.
Pray tell - where are you getting your watch style information? It sounds like you've really got your finger on the pulse (which would be easier for you - given that you can't find a watch to suit your taste, thus leaving your wrist exposed).

farmersinsurance

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/10/19
Geneva, WA
I think that there are plenty of options out there for both small and large watch wearers. The factories only reproduce (for the most part) the same watches that are released by the real deals, so it depends on what trends emerge in the future.

^^This was well said. And regardless of trends, there are and always have been a large amount of options for smaller than 40mm watches, in rep and gen

Reactions: Rickjames111

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I would say it's a safe bet to guess the factories will follow the trends in what is popular.
If smaller sizes start ruling the gen luxury and gen 'fashion' (i.e. Fossil and such) watch sales, I'd say it's a very safe bet that the factories would follow suit.

saibot

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Spain
Pray tell - where are you getting your watch style information? It sounds like you've really got your finger on the pulse (which would be easier for you - given that you can't find a watch to suit your taste, thus leaving your wrist exposed).

Well... Last big Tudor launch? Black Bay 58 (39mm)
Rolex made and upgrade on the Datejust 36 in 2019.
Omega with his 1957 triolgy (38mm, 38,5mm and 39mm)
The Audemars Piguet 15202ST (39mm) being one of the 2 hottest second hand watches atm (along the Nautilus 5170)
The Paul Newmans (37mm) being the hottest vintage watch atm
If you bought a Explorer 1016 (36mm) 15 years ago you are gonna make good money...
The most popular post of Hodinkee in 2019? "A week on the wrist: Rolex Explorer Reference 214270" (39mm)

That's were I get my watch style information... Compare with 10 years ago where everything was about the new Sky-Dweller (42mm), the Yatch-Master 2 (44mm) and every seedy market selling Hublot King Power and Big Bang replicas because it was what all football players were wearing... For me is a clear tendency...

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

The new trend of vintage watches is somewhat an oxymoron, but I know what you're saying. Look no further than the Autavia to know that the vintage trend has little to do with vintage sizes.

People have been saying the age of big watches is coming to an end for 8 years. It isn't. Most of this comes from a traditionalist kickback to the Rolex super case and maxi dial.

The Black Bay 58 is the darling of the watch world right now - its biggest strength is Tudor's biggest strength - well made, accessibly-priced homages to vintage Rolex, sold via AD's who pitch them as the same pedigree as Rolex. (And Hodinkee column inches which do the same.) The BB GMT is anything but petite, even if it is a homage to the Rolex 6542.

Panerai has been and will always be big. Breitling has been and will always be big - and bling. And Omega will continue to be all sized watches for all sized people. The next iteration of the Submariner will almost certainly have thinner lugs. Why? Well, they can't make a new launch which is the same size ones, and there's no way they can get any fatter. We've seen thinning down of lugs but not case sizes on the Sea-Dweller, and the GMT. I mention the Submariner because it's important - as a trendsetter its the standard which the industry will follow.

Rolex make smaller watches and they always have (nothing new there) - they are the ones you see in shop windows - the ones that don't sell out. The sport models have never gotten any smaller.

If the market continues to like big watches, then the industry will follow the market - the rep industry will follow whatever the genuine market does.

Last edited:

mew

18/12/15
Germany
I beg to differ when it comes to Panerai. A lot of their new submersible watches come with a smaller 42mm counterpart, their automatic Luminor series is also 42mm and the Luminor due models go down to 38mm.

Let's hope factories follow suit and start repping the smaller models too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Personal preferences aside I think generally the larger sport watches are more favored by the millennial (plus and minus) crowd and are more suited for this age group. Personally I max out at 40mm. I guess that obviously puts me outside the millennial group - you'll probably have difficulty figuring which side.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I beg to differ when it comes to Panerai. A lot of their new submersible watches come with a smaller 42mm counterpart, their automatic Luminor series is also 42mm and the Luminor due models go down to 38mm.

Let's hope factories follow suit and start repping the smaller models too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's because the world is getting weedier. With power everything, no need for big beefy arms to drag steering wheels round and round, press mechanical keyboards etc etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Trowt