• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you guys care for waterproofing?

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
Dive watches yes, when being serviced yes (why not) dress watches only during service, I follow the same rule for my gens.

FrankenLover

Known Member
24/12/18
Copenhagen, Denmark
If waterproofing a rep, will it consistently be waterproof for a long time? Or would you recommend waterproofing them maybe one time a year?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Octobrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/10/19
Baetica
No, not really. I've a few of "swimming resistant" gens and they are the ones I use to go to the swimming pool. In fact I only wear the cheapest of them to go to the beach (Orien Makos, G-Shocks and so on).

Unknownwatchmaker

Renowned Member
Certified
27/11/15
Boston, MA
1) it is always a risk taking a rep into a wet or steamy environment. I have had an Explorer II get steam inside, though it should be noted that I did not grease the gaskets beforehand.
2) it is simple to grease the gaskets -- this covers the majority of the potential points of ingress for water into the case. learn how to do this and it will give you great peace of mind.
3) I have taken maaaany watches into water following greasing gaskets. No problems at all.
4) people have spoken of HeV valves. On the omegas, some HeV valves are decorative (no actual hole in case) and some actually try to follow the gen specs with an actual valve. The safest thing is to epoxy these close. I have not tried this to date, but others on the forum have. I just keep mine closed as tightly as possible and hope for the best. That being said, I am unsure if the Rolex HeVs are functional or decorative -- if someone has better knowledge of this, I'd love a PM! Maybe I'll try to take the ARF SD43 case apart during this COVID downtime..

Reactions: cpd2186

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I swim with my reps but i test them for wr before i go on holiday. Just buy a pressure tester and some silicone grease and dont rely on the factories or td’s to test them once. They probably wont do it and even gens will become less water resistant over time. Grease and seals degrade over time.