• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TCv7x - Service questions - need some help

GregB

Known Member
25/1/20
Canada, eh!
Hey guys, I took my watch in for servicing at the end of February, before businesses were ordered closed, and it’s still with the watchmaker today. They recently informed me -

“The release stem mech is not springing up properly. So it will for sure need to be completely taken apart and overhauled" and then later "the winding mechanism is not functioning properly and because of it being Chinese, there’s no parts available. We would need to replace the movement."

They offered to replace the movement for $350 (Chinese) or $975 for the ETA. Some questions I came up with to help me sort this out; other thoughts are welcome!

a) Availability of parts? (I thought ‘TC’ designed this movement with parts interchangeable with the ETA?)
b) Is there another Chinese ‘brand’ of movement worth pursuing? Seagull or Hangzhou? And from where?
c) Will the TCv7x case take the ETA 2824-2?
d) Where would I source an ETA 2824-2 (Ebay or Cousins?) and ballpark price?
e) What ‘fitment’ issues should I be aware of with replacing the movement? Case size/shape? DWO alignment? #4 canon pinion? (TC was adamant about this)

Thanks!

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
CousinsUK list a Swiss 2824-2 at £146.25 (GBP) and Chinese at £84.95

VAT and shipping will be added to those prices.

If I were you I would ask him to send the watch back to you (he will probably want a fee for the watch inspection) and find a new watchmaker.

Where are you located?

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
As others stated, movements prices from your watchmaker are way over priced. You can just buy one from cousins or ebay then send it to them. Or might as well find a new watchsmith.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Wow. 950$ for replacing a movement he can source for 150. Dude is doing some serious business here lol

As others told you before I did, find a new watchmaker!!

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
Hey guys, I took my watch in for servicing at the end of February, before businesses were ordered closed, and it’s still with the watchmaker today. They recently informed me -

“The release stem mech is not springing up properly. So it will for sure need to be completely taken apart and overhauled" and then later "the winding mechanism is not functioning properly and because of it being Chinese, there’s no parts available. We would need to replace the movement."

They offered to replace the movement for $350 (Chinese) or $975 for the ETA. Some questions I came up with to help me sort this out; other thoughts are welcome!

a) Availability of parts? (I thought ‘TC’ designed this movement with parts interchangeable with the ETA?)
b) Is there another Chinese ‘brand’ of movement worth pursuing? Seagull or Hangzhou? And from where?
c) Will the TCv7x case take the ETA 2824-2?
d) Where would I source an ETA 2824-2 (Ebay or Cousins?) and ballpark price?
e) What ‘fitment’ issues should I be aware of with replacing the movement? Case size/shape? DWO alignment? #4 canon pinion? (TC was adamant about this)

Thanks!

A genuine ETA 2824-2 will fit the TC case, but in order to make it work you will have to swap the date wheel (with the overlay) and the H4 canon pinion from the TC movement to the ETA movement.

Given how much $ you already have invested, it doesn't make any sense to replace the TC movement with another chinese ETA clone. I would definitely go with a genuine ETA movement.

thom.son has a few genuine ETA 2824-2 movements listed for sale in the parts section for $215USD: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...2824-2-watch-movement-25-jewel-from-wso-conus

If you don't want to swap the H4 pinion from the TC movement to the ETA movement, you could buy a new H4 set from ebay and have that installed on the ETA movement: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HAND-HEIGHT...NGE-IT-YOURSELF/132956881176?var=432254615320

That being said, your watchmaker's description of the problem is a little unclear. It sounds like the issue could be the keyless works and/or the clutch mechanism in the crown (which is a not uncommon issue with TC crowns). I would get the watch back and try a different watchmaker, because it sounds like whoever you are using is trying to gouge you on pricing.

Best of luck!

GregB

Known Member
25/1/20
Canada, eh!
WaspySpoons offpink

jai04Nikz19 Thanks guys for taking the time to respond - I appreciate the feedback! I have since asked the watchmaker to return the watch and offered him something for his trouble. Once back in my possession I will look for someone local to me (Toronto, Canada area). So if anyone knows someone who does mods/repairs in my area or anywhere in Canada, preferably an RWI member, I'd prefer to deal with them. Thanks again and be safe! Greg

Last edited:

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
Just make sure you ask them to send you whole movement including the "non functioning" parts as well. If there are really broken parts, I'm pretty sure some of the parts can still be use in the future as your back up parts. Good luck.

GregB

Known Member
25/1/20
Canada, eh!
Just make sure you ask them to send you whole movement including the "non functioning" parts as well. If there are really broken parts, I'm pretty sure some of the parts can still be use in the future as your back up parts. Good luck.

Will do, thanks jai04!

GregB

Known Member
25/1/20
Canada, eh!
UPDATE: I collected my watch from the 'watchmaker' and delivered it to Avee8tor who sorted it out in no time :cool:. Thanks to all who responded.