• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do scam or contested sales on the sales board seem to be going up?

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
So I almost got scammed by Marco92 on a JF AP diver a while ago. He had contacted me after a couple of weeks of me inquiring about his AP Diver he had for sale. I wasn't super well versed in the AP Diver and was curious about his modifications to the watch that he used to justify his price. I had kind of soft passed on it and then he contacts me a couple of weeks later to say it's still available. At that point I really didn't think anything suspicious but I just wasn't interested in an Italy transaction because I had something tied up in customs to Germany so I wasn't feeling it. Turns out a couple of weeks later he had sold the watch to someone and then not shipped. AFAIK, he hasn't shipped the watch to this day.

Then there's the current brig member Rayquaza. There was the guy who sold a Patek who said he had all of this work done to a watch but it wasn't true. There's this thing between Silverboy and Bloob. I think there's been one other.

Is it me or do the situations on the sales forum seem to be getting more frequent?

Bloob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/10/19
Apparently on mine, the bracelet was replaced. I believe the watch and movement are correct, but I don't know enough about this stuff to tell you the truth.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
This is pointless thread. You have been here only 3 months and just to conclusion with no data. If you analyze your case based on the number of members and sales this forum has you will get what I mean. Don't spread panic, nothing on the internet is safe, buy the seller not the watch always and everywhere!

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
^This. No point going back to one transaction when 100s others are good on this forum. As said above, there are bad apple everywhere but they are miniscule.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
No there isn't a rise in this, it just so happen to have been a few cases lately and we also happen to have tightened the rules on so borderline practices.

But it's only a tiny tiny fraction of the sales going very well in M2M

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
There's a saying in spanish that basically translates to "it's not how many but how often."

We might be seeing them more often, not more as in a rise in quantity.

Reactions: Raddave

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's you - and you just got here.

Reactions: Raddave

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I have been here a few years, and I would say no. There will always be scams, but the mods and members here are way more vigilant than in other trade forums. They stopped a lot of scammers.

Buy the buyer.
Beware of prices that are too good to be true. There are generous members who sell way below the norm, but they are quite rare. Also, know the watch. I failed a few times and received watches that were not what I expected, but I blame myself for not looking more closely. I am lucky that I have always received the watch, good or bad (mostly good). I hate getting scammed. This is why I mostly buy direct from TD's.

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
I've only been here about six months but I like to watch the sales threads a lot. I think the last two weeks saw more activity than I had previously seen as far as questionable sales in the last six months. The problem with buying the seller on here is that in the case of bloob and silverboy it seemed silverboy was a good seller.

Of course, it's anecdotal but the board seems to almost never have problems. Obvious scammers get called out fast by the mods for selling DHGate items.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Yesterday was kloc123 and today is zocker4711 and d39918 with the swapped movement 36mm OP. Fuck! The mods here are doing a great job.

Not in that order, Zocker followed d39918 because they were in cahoot and because they were both major asshats, that was, one week ago approximately, and yesterday was klock123 for a really really lame profiteering attempt with the coronavirus as an excuse

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Thank goodness the mods are here to prevent people from getting scammed on overpriced goods.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I don't think it's really needed to have an update on this thread each time ;)

Reactions: Tucker

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
No more...no less...than any other time.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Add cr7juv to the list.

You'll note that some of these scammers have been banned previously like the one you reference here. Best rule of thumb is buy the seller, look at post history and length of membership as a baseline. Not a guarantee, but it's. Good starting point.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
No more...no less...

You mean , No Les, no More

Les-Moore-Grave-700x468.jpg

Reactions: Rx4Time and Tucker