• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica wearing habits

Max111

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/19
It may sound like a silly question, but did anyone buy a good quality replica and yet don’t wear, I guess because of the fear get caught? I only had genuine watches that are reasonably priced like Omega planet ocean, Omega seamaster, few Capelands and bunch of vintage watches. But I fell in love with Panerai 127 that I always wanted to have. I can’t buy a genuine 12-18k so I bought next best for $400 plus shipping from trusted dealer. I found that I always wear it at home. I can’t break a Habit of wearing it on some work functions or special occasions. Do any of you guys experience that?

artsyguy

15/1/11
1. A Fiddy is a very cool watch.
2. I wear the Fiddy or PAM Bronzo almost on a daily basis, as they are my favorites in my watch box.
3. NOBODY even knows or cares about watches except the people on this forum.
4. I get compliments from people all the time on my watches from people who know nothing about watches. So, that is nice.
5. Conclusion...Don't overthink it. Just enjoy your watch(es)!

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
I don't fear to get caught. I'm proud of the reps that I have.

The habit that I notice lately since I learned about this rep game is that I care and baby my reps more than my gens. :lol3:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
"Fear of getting caught"? What a strange idea. Particularly as the watch you're talking about is a PAM. Hell, even Panerai have been guilty of producing reps of their own watches (or Frankens, at least)... :) And how many PAM experts are you likely to bump into this year, or this... decade?

If you're too ashamed to admit - in the hugely unlikely event it would ever happen - that your watch is a rep, then rep ownership probably isn't for you. Which you've already confirmed really, by saying you're afraid to wear it outside the house.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I doubt anyone would ever think a PAM that was worn would be a rep...

Reactions: Max111

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
I wear all of my reps in the winter season, with long sleeve sweaters! Lmao.
This hobby is fun and in mind will have its drawbacks, just wear what you like and can pull off. Enjoy it and wear in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
What is it with this “fear of getting caught lately”?

No no one cares what you have on your wrist. Never mind whether it’s a $100 or a $10,000 watch or whether it’s a $40,000 wAtch. And no one cares if it is a $500 version of that $10,000 watch.

If its not a Rolex, people in general never heard the name anyway. I wear mostly Panerai and every time I have mentioned the name to a lay person, they have all responded he same way. “Never heard of it”. Unless you work in a watch botique or work around people all very conscious about watches.

Unless someone handles watches daily - like for a living, thy cant tell. I do have a friend who knows and likes Panerai and spends a lot of time reading and talking watches but I was wearing a 605 when I last ran into him. I told him “I got a new watch” and took it off and showed it to him. He inspected it closely including the movement and talked about how nice and sturdy it is, he talked about how good the anthracite dial is, he talked about how soft the strap is (I had a nice strap on it) and gave it back to me. When he handed it back to me I told him it is a replica and his mind was blown away. Blown away. And he had to inspect it again, but his time with a more critical eye and asking me what the differences are.

When i pointed them out, he still couldn’t see them. I pointed out how one of the letters on the crown guard are different. And we had them on screen blown up as big as they could be enlarged and he’s saying “I can’t see the difference. You’re telling me these are different?” Bottom line is people don’t care. Wear a watch for you because you’re the only one who looks at it. Especially a Panerai. I doubt you could even find someone who knows Panerai in the first place.

srhoque

28/11/18
Hey Mate - There are guys in this forum who wear rep RMs ($750K watches) ;)

Getting into the rep hobby implies that you like it and you are generally happy with them (else you mod/franken them). So wear them with pride and in good health. Watches should be worn to make you happy/satisfied, not what others think...

Lizandro

16/4/19
San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
Hey Mate - There are guys in this forum who wear rep RMs ($750K watches) ;)

Getting into the rep hobby implies that you like it and you are generally happy with them (else you mod/franken them). So wear them with pride and in good health. Watches should be worn to make you happy/satisfied, not what others think...

You’re so right mate you’re a genius totally forgot about that

Reactions: srhoque and Max111

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Well, it all depends on who you are talking to. The guys in the posts above correctly noted that basically, people around do not know much about watches, so this is of little importance. I had a situation similar to yours. I really wanted an AP. In the end, I got a rep AP ROO, which in the end could only be worn on the weekend and at home, because, in other cases, I was almost guaranteed to meet those who recognize this model and adhere to very conservative views on accessories and their cost, in connection with which I would really not want to explain how and why I have a watch on my hand that should seem to cost 15-20k. $.

As a result, I decided not to cheat on myself and wear panerais more often, because they do not look so defiant, fit in style, overall look and +/- cost. And the rep of rare expensive limited-edition models of this brand, among all my friends, I can probably only recognize.

Reactions: Lizandro and Max111

Max111

15/3/19
Thats a beatiful pam127. Curious what model is it and if the strap was ordered separately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is a V6F Asia 6497 (PN127ELE3) and the strap I purchased separately.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
it is a V6F Asia 6497 (PN127ELE3) and the strap I purchased separately.

Perhaps it's the circles i move in ? I suspect 95% of people you meet won't know what a Panerai is , the next 4.9999999 % wouldn't be able to tell a genuine watch from a spud .

Reactions: ryguy6333

Max111

15/3/19
Perhaps it's the circles i move in ? I suspect 95% of people you meet won't know what a Panerai is , the next 4.9999999 % wouldn't be able to tell a genuine watch from a spud .

I work with a white shoe attorney’s. These guys know. While I am not proficient at identifying replica from gen. I can identify rep. I will not know why but there is something about gen that stands out. Although I have to say some of the Rolex reps are almost perfect. Reps got to scary level and for some watches replicate the movement even.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I work with a white shoe attorney’s. These guys know. While I am not proficient at identifying replica from gen. I can identify rep. I will not know why but there is something about gen that stands out. Although I have to say some of the Rolex reps are almost perfect. Reps got to scary level and for some watches replicate the movement even.

Perhaps you should have purchased the NOOB version of that watch . Which is a better replica and a NWBIG Super Rep .

If you're scared to wear them in public perhaps reps or not for you ?

Alternatively perhaps build up a large collection but only wear them while sitting on your sofa watching Judge Judy ?

I find it hard to believe that just because someone has a professional job and earns a certain level of $ . That they instantly become an expert high end horology expert .

Reactions: outerbolt

Max111

15/3/19
I don’t plan to build a large collection of replica watches. I only have one. I also don’t watch judge Judy sitting on my sofa. Thank you for your input though.

mellonballs

Horology Curious
9/3/19
I think believability is two factors: (1) decent quality, and (2) attitude. So long as my rep is decent without glaring DHGate-ish blemishes, and I wear it with confidence, chances of getting called out by typical people is very low.

If it helps your confidence, I wore my PAM112 noob to an AD and received compliments.

Sent from my iPad using RWI

Reactions: ryguy6333