• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What rep watches have you been self conscious wearing?

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
For me, I felt kind of conspicuous wearing a rolex day date. Nobody ever noticed it, but then again I didn't use it that much either.
I feel like the president bracelet is so iconic/distinctive/noticeable and everybody who knows what it is notices it and also knows that those are $30k+
What about the rest of you?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
This is a topic that has been broached before. I don't remember the exact threads and maybe is was asked in a slightly different way, but the consensus was basically that the watch should match the lifestyle.

If you are an investment banker or run a hedge fund and drive a pagani then anything works. You want to wear an AP or an ALS no one is going to even bat an eye, but if you are just a regular guy making 100k a yr and you have a family no one is going to believe you are buying a 30k + watch. Seems to me that even a 10k Daytona is not something that someone making 100k with a family is going to buy.

Back to the OP's question. For me, I am a lot closer to the regular guy mentioned above so I feel that anything above about 5k in gen is something that I am going to shy away from. With this in mind, Omega, Breitling & a few IWC's are mostly my go tos for reps.

Reactions: phdsjain and pippo

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
DayDates, DateJusts, Two-Tone Subs, Daytonas...

Love the bastards, but I could never pull them off.

Had a beautiful YachtMaster with the sparkling grey dial, I couldn’t pull it off either.

Basically anything two tone.

I currently have a all SS GMT-Master II and a Daytona that have polished mid links. I feel I cannot wear them to work.

But I will wear a Patek Philippe Aquanaut rep that the gen is worth $29k and is on a rubber strap to work. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrJohnWatsonJr

Supporter-*NOOB FRIENDLY*
Supporter
27/12/16

Had a beautiful YachtMaster with the sparkling grey dial, I couldn’t pull it off either.

I currently have a all SS GMT-Master II and a Daytona that have polished mid links. I feel I cannot wear them to work.

But I will wear a Patek Philippe Aquanaut rep that the gen is worth $29k and is on a rubber strap to work. LOL

You hit the nail on the head with the polished midlinks. Can't wear them at all. Always throw a daytona or GMT on a canvas strap.

Same goes for the PP Aquanauts. Wear that on rubber almost daily :)

Reactions: mclarendude

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
You hit the nail on the head with the polished midlinks. Can't wear them at all. Always throw a daytona or GMT on a canvas strap.

I’ve found that RubberB straps are my solution to the problem and cannot recommend them enough. And I found a seller on Amazon who sells fake ones and are Prime eligible. $20 and they are delivered next day most of the times.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RXDNL8N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AlzDEbWAH5TQW

Reactions: Ams55557

DrJohnWatsonJr

Supporter-*NOOB FRIENDLY*
Supporter
27/12/16

chubbychaser911

31/10/19

I recommend buystrap.com. Got a rubber B and it's great.

As far as pulling it off, I make enough coin to where I can pull it off. I drive a luxury vehicle, have the boat, and fancy job. So I never feel conspicuous. But I just feel I can't pull off gold.

My buddy though is really doing well and flaunts it from the lake house and boat, to the super car so he's all about gold. I work in a different industry than him. His is very flashy. Mine is well paid but more fashion wise conservative.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

You have to clarify for me. Datejusts, two tone subs? Why do you have a hard time wearing those?

Daydate I would think it is because of the value of the gen.

As you got deeper into your post, I thought it had something to do with the look of the two tone but I'm not really sure. So I ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
My DSC , but only because it knocks shit over in the store when im walking by

100-1849.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
This is always an entertaining and interesting subject. Personally, the only watch I have that I’d be embarrassed to wear in public is the Hublot LaFerrari. Because it’s a truly horrible piece of design. I bought it because it was “different” (and very cheap), but it’s never even made it onto my wrist. I won’t even put it in one of the watch boxes. It’s banished to a darkened corner of a shelf.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
You have to clarify for me. Datejusts, two tone subs? Why do you have a hard time wearing those?

Daydate I would think it is because of the value of the gen.

As you got deeper into your post, I thought it had something to do with the look of the two tone but I'm not really sure. So I ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gladly.

For me it is the fact of the polished midlinks, whether gold or SS on a Jubilee or an Oyster.
They attract attention to me which I don’t like. I love how they look. My first ever rep was a 16613 Bluesy! And they are beautiful watches!

I know for a fact that I could buy a $50 Timex with the same polished look and I’d still wouldn’t buy it or wear it. They make me look more flashy than I want to be. I have a modest career and humble beginnings (not wanting to toot my own horn) and have always kept myself looking as such. I was brought up that way.

I have an uncle that has this ungodly looking Gold Rado Diastar, two actually. Last time we spent time together he told me he had left them both to me in his will. I thanked him many times. But little will he ever know that I will gladly take them but rarely wear them.

In the end, it is how they look. As I said, I can wear normally and without reservation a PP Aquanaut on its OEM rubber strap, which the gen of it is worth $28.9k. But, it’s a watch that does not look like it’s worth that. A two tone watch looks like it’s worth what it’s worth and will attract attention that I really don’t want.

Hope this is better!

Reactions: Dmage

Hazing

9/5/19
mclarendude much better. Now I get it.

Im similar in the sense that I can’t wear gold. Any gold st all just... looks.... I can’t even explain it. I just prefer the stainless models. My friends who know watches joke that I have 10 versions of the same watch because they’re all stainless steel with a black dial.

Even a two tone. Can’t do it. I do always joke though that if I could get a gen yg presidential, I’d gladly wear it. Although I’d much prefer white gold.. or even platinum.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
mclarendude much better. Now I get it.

Im similar in the sense that I can’t wear gold. Any gold st all just... looks.... I can’t even explain it. I just prefer the stainless models. My friends who know watches joke that I have 10 versions of the same watch because they’re all stainless steel with a black dial.

Even a two tone. Can’t do it. I do always joke though that if I could get a gen yg presidential, I’d gladly wear it. Although I’d much prefer white gold.. or even platinum.

It’s a very difficult thing to explain. But, I too wouldn’t mind a blue-dialed Platinum Day-Date. I’d just probably wear it around the house.

I just prefer the stainless models and the brushed look. More in-tune to my liking.

Hazing

9/5/19
It’s a very difficult thing to explain. But, I too wouldn’t mind a blue-dialed Platinum Day-Date. I’d just probably wear it around the house.

I just prefer the stainless models and the brushed look. More in-tune to my liking.

Yeah... for me it’s a meteorite platinum or white gold daydate. I mean I couldn’t wear it now. I struggle wearing watches that I couldn’t afford. Or models that are just so expensive that anyone who knows me knows I could never possibly own. But if I was in a situation where I could afford a gen daydate, I think then I could wear one. And the thing is... with a platinum daydate, I think I’d be content with a modest collection. I wouldn’t need 15+ watches. I could get by with just a few.

Actually... maybe that’s not accurate. I often say that about situations “if I could jut have that..., it’s all I need” and then reality hits and it’s “well one more would be nice”
80bf7b616039d5452727ff3ac1bc73d6.jpg
89aea66819cd99babfdf1fb476ebecbb.jpg

Last edited:

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I struggle wearing watches that I couldn’t afford. Or models that are just so expensive that anyone who knows me knows I could never possibly own. But if I was in a situation where I could afford a gen daydate, I think then I could wear one.

You have said it best with this. This is it, I totally agree.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I live by a simple rule - Never wear a rep for which the gen model you can’t afford (or aren’t willing to buy)

Azwethinkweiz28

Horology Curious
17/10/10
Yeah... for me it’s a meteorite platinum or white gold daydate. I mean I couldn’t wear it now. I struggle wearing watches that I couldn’t afford. Or models that are just so expensive that anyone who knows me knows I could never possibly own. But if I was in a situation where I could afford a gen daydate, I think then I could wear one. And the thing is... with a platinum daydate, I think I’d be content with a modest collection. I wouldn’t need 15+ watches. I could get by with just a few.

Actually... maybe that’s not accurate. I often say that about situations “if I could jut have that..., it’s all I need” and then reality hits and it’s “well one more would be nice”
80bf7b616039d5452727ff3ac1bc73d6.jpg
89aea66819cd99babfdf1fb476ebecbb.jpg

Is that a gen dial? I’ve never seen a good rep meteorite but this looks great in the photos!

Sent from the RWI App