• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick Review Gen 3235 movement

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Quick Review of a gen 3235 movement

Ok guys, today I’m sharing some thoughts about the new 3235 movement, not sure whether there has been a review before or not.

I recently acquired a gen 126300 with jubilee and blue dial.
Originally I was searching for a 126334 but this came as a good deal and I catched it. I thought to myself, if I get the hands on a fluted bezel, I will replace one day.

First you need to know that I am very sensitive if it comes to movements, rotor noise, date discs and cyclops.

As I received the watch, my first impression was that it feels a bit light. Ok, this is affected by the jubilee bracelet. But then I shaked it and I was completely shocked. Rotor noise was like a 2836 movement. For a second I was really scared that I got probably cheated. And due to new time setting direction of 3235 you can’t be sure from „outside“ because it’s same as ETA. Thus, I took my tools and opened the case back directly.
In addition, I used google search to understand whether I am the only one facing this problem or not. I learned, that the new movement has a ball bearing based construction for the rotor. I new what this means. It’s same as ETA, eg 2836 movements uses and also Daytona 4130 uses such a construction. 3135 movements had a jewel based rotor construction. While it seems, that for this new ball bearing construction it is easier to replace single parts, it has the natural effect that you can hear it more obvious than previous 3135 based movements.

I was still shocked, so I checked whether there is a decorated clone movement out there. And indeed, Noob has a decorated one. But look at the pics and you will see from certain details that it’s only a clone / decoration.

To be 100% sure, I dropped also some pics to my friend interaktiv and he did confirm that everything looks gen to his eyes.

However, I was curious and went to 3 Rolex ADs. 2 of them had the typical TT Datejust models on display and one had a new SeaDweller two tone with new movement as well. I tried all of them and shaked the watches. I think ADs thought that I am crazy. LOL. However, it turned out that all of them have the same „noises“. Maybe some little nuances in volume but all of them are clearly to hear. Even such a bold and masculine watch like the new SeaDweller.
Somehow this did really shock me and I am not sure, if I will buy further 3235 watches. If you tap on the sapphire with your fingers, you can „feel“ the shock absorber, if you shake it you can hear the rotor, if you lift it, it feels a bit too light. Honestly, I am disappointed and I might go back to 6 digits with „old“ movement.

There is one more thing I noticed after opening the case back:
The movement does not fill the full case.
It looks like it’s mounted with a spacer ring. I think it’s not and it just looks like. You can also see the back of the dial (gold edges). This is a no go for me. If I am not wrong, all previous watches which had larger diameters (like Datejust II which really had 41mm or Milgauss or Explorer II) used modified 3135 movements like 3136 to fit better into the case. In addition, 3135 movements fitter perfectly into 36 and 40mm cases. And this? This looks like an ETA mounted with cheap movement screws. Again, I am so disappointed and really don’t know at the moment how to deal with this.

I would love to have a Datejust on jubilee but the old Datejust II doesn’t exist officially on jubilee and the new one has this shitty movement.... I don’t care whether the new construction is even more easy to service or whatsoever, but clearly thumbs down Rolex for this „cheap“ feeling movement.

Just my two cents and I am curious what other members will say.

Was using some pics from puretime to compare this.
If this is wron mg section, feel free to move wherever it is appropriate.

Now onto the pics

interaktiv

Parts-Distributor Modder
Supporting Vendor
Vendor (Patron)
26/10/15
EU
The old DJ 41mm they use the 3136, base 3135 with larger plate

Yes you mean the DateJust II with these movement:

3cff7c682c08db82dca87b9bd2c770eb.plist

d013a8545cdb89510cfa657bfce70365.plist

But still the 3235 is a better movement with a longer reserve and a little more precise than the previous models!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
Yes you mean the DateJust II with these movement:

3cff7c682c08db82dca87b9bd2c770eb.plist

d013a8545cdb89510cfa657bfce70365.plist

But still the 3235 is a better movement with a longer reserve and a little more precise than the previous models!

Yes, is better longer reserve. I was referring to the noise

Reactions: Kiwiguy

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks guys for your input and picture.
This is exactly what I was talking about. The main plate fits to the case on 3136 etc.
And honestly speaking, what means better?
All my gen watches with 3135 movements are perfectly running. Power reserve is not relevant to me as long as they have more than 12 hours because during the day, all watches are in the winder. Instead, rotor noise matters to me and I will go back to old watches. Already trying to source an old Datejust II now.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
mega12 pretty sure there’s no spacer ring it’s just the new notched flange on the back of the dial, the new dial mounting system Rolex have adopted for the 3235.... the plate has the key way style outer diameter locking the dial in place. It looks like the dial acts as the seat for everything.

A mate of mine had the exact same thoughts, he thought he was sold a clone as it was loud and cheap feeling. After opening we realised it was gen and he wasn’t happy with the feel of the watch so he sold it.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
mega12 pretty sure there’s no spacer ring it’s just the new notched flange on the back of the dial, the new dial mounting system Rolex have adopted for the 3235.... the plate has the key way style outer diameter locking the dial in place. It looks like the dial acts as the seat for everything.

A mate of mine had the exact same thoughts, he thought he was sold a clone as it was loud and cheap feeling. After opening we realised it was gen and he wasn’t happy with the feel of the watch so he sold it.

Thanks for your sharings. Yes, I thought the same that it’s the new “mounting style” with new backside construction of 3235 dials. I am selling it atm and then I will catch a 116334.
Makes me more happy I guess

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
It's beyond me why Rolex would choose to take a step backward regarding the rotor. One thing I always liked about my genuine Rolex movements was how quiet they are. While the space around the movement in the case doesn't look as pretty or tidy, that's not as big of concern to me as having an audible rotor in a high end piece. For me the longer power reserve is moot because the longest that my watches would go between wearing would be 36 hours unless I'm putting them away to change up the rotation, in which case it would be longer than a couple of days anyway. I'm sorry to read of your disappointment, but I can definitely appreciate your sentiment and I would feel the same way.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks bro
Yes I don’t get it either but it is like it is.

The good thing is:
All the crazy guys asking which Datejust 41 copy is the best shouldn’t be such critical to spot flaws. I have seen many Franken builds on ARF or BP or whatsoever Badis and they all look great. I would not waste a single penny anymore for the gen and get a Franken right away. This is also what I will do right now in addition to get a gen Datejust II, I will build a Franken 126334 and my friend interaktiv will mod the pinions to accept gen hands.
So gen dial, hands, date disc, crown and probably gen or high quality aftermarket sapphire and my baby will be as perfect as Rolex can build them. I don’t bother about the crown height. I tried to compare gen versus pics of ARF and honestly it’s not as obvious as different crown heights from 3135 versus 2836. IMO I would like to encourage people with this post to build their Franken and be happy that also Rolex might need a v2 of something... lol

Reactions: KJ2020

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
I just watched a YouTube video to understand what watch rotor noises sound like.

Did your 3235 rotor noise sound like any of these?

In this link

https://youtu.be/a92gdLlsjfs

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
mega12 good choice mate, I know a few people that have complained about the 3235 and gas it back for service much sooner than expected with issues. Rolex probably just moving towards a move replace and throw away service structure than actually taking more time to refurb Movements like the 3135. I think maybe it also keeps the servicing more “in house” and cuts out non affiliated watchmakers servicing their movements in the future.
im going franken datejust 41 as well and interaktiv is modding the eta parts so I can use gen hands to :)

Reactions: mega12

SubClover2018

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
16/2/20
Very informative thanks. I wish they don;t put this mvt in the new or "facelifted" subC.

Reactions: mega12

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
mega12 good choice mate, I know a few people that have complained about the 3235 and gas it back for service much sooner than expected with issues. Rolex probably just moving towards a move replace and throw away service structure than actually taking more time to refurb Movements like the 3135. I think maybe it also keeps the servicing more “in house” and cuts out non affiliated watchmakers servicing their movements in the future.
im going franken datejust 41 as well and interaktiv is modding the eta parts so I can use gen hands to :)

I heard that they are not certifying/Training any external watch makers (even at official ADs) anymore to service older movements. So basically all old watches have to be sent to their respective central location to be serviced over there. Mean, there will be a time, where no one can officially service your old tritium dials without replacing them by new ones... just what I heard...

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.