• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Biggest tell in any rep

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
I know I'm going to get heat for this, but surely the biggest tell in any rep is not the shade of blue of the dial, or the 0.001mm variation in the lug?

when Im out and about, the biggest tell is the person wearing the watch...

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
You are partially right,but are there people who can pass all canal street trash? or only first class and above?

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
even with the best reps, if your a guy with a supped up car in gold and tracksuit, your not a Patek owner....

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Yes and no, you'd be surprised at some of the people I've seen with modest cars / homes and insane gen watch collections

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
true, but notice the people with Reps always have Rolex or Ap, mainly Rolex a B band watch company known only for being on wrists of posers... not many are showing off there JLC etc..

I know there's a lot of people on here that love the hobby like me, but the truth is most just want a Rolex to flex with, that has 'no tells' what you bothered about tells if your not going to try and pass it off as real?

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
when Im out and about, the biggest tell is the person wearing the watch...

I think this is most likely true. Personally,I don't know anyone who owns reps. Maybe they do, but I have no reason to question the authenticity of their watches. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't really know a lot of people who still wear watches.

In my circle there are a few Apple watches, a couple DateJust and then me. I have a lot of watches; most gen and a few reps. No one asks if my reps are gen because they have no reason to ask. That's probably because I can afford the gen of the reps I own, so who would assume mine are reps?

Then again, I am not sporting AP, Patek or even a Rolex. To each their own if that's your fancy, but I'm more lowkey than that by nature.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: English Gent

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
I flex sport watches only, Patek, Ap, and VC. people assume I'm a drug dealer not that the watches are fake. I'm ok with that...

I see you're a long-time member, so can't work out if being sarcastic or not, but all the people I do know with these watches are drug dealers in south of France/Spain...

Most of my Billionaire mates keep it to Patek, and JLC (hes sponsored by) so many reverso's, and others have mainly dress watches and no gourdy sport watch that goes to 1000000ft etc,

GerRepFan

13/2/19
the biggest tell is the person wearing the watch...

A few years ago I would have said the same but I've already had two experiences that proved me kinda wrong. A friend of mine for example has a really nice gen high-end watch collection while he always wears tracksuits... If I saw him without knowing him I would never assume his watch was a gen.

And on the other hand: When I was on vacation I met a guy in his mid-20s and we got into conversation and it turned our that his Submariner Hulk was actually gen which I would've never expected as I thought he got himself a rep.

So, of course someone getting out of his 10 year old VW Golf while sporting a patek seems pretty implausible but sometimes it turns out that your estimation is actually false.

Reactions: Katarsis and sn95

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Biggest tells depend on the model. Here is a general list of common tell signs:
- date wheel font
- hands shape/ length/ overall finesse
- crown height
- any rep of a watch with an in-house movement and an open case-back
- crown direction for setting time and date
- movement and complication limitation
- thickness for some watches (e.g., A7750 AP ROO)
- dial colour
- crystal AR
- the stock sh!tty leather strap
- rotor noise for anything that uses miyota or 2813 to imitate in-house movement
- slow date flips for some models
- incorrect bph
- etc
​​​​​​
As for the person wearing the watch, well, you would be surprised at how many flip-flop wearing, invisible millionaires in HK who wears gen rolex :p

Reactions: Katarsis

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Mark Wahlberg with a Patek? seems legit... point is, a lot of people on here with there fake rolex trying to be high rollers, errrr arnt...

just to clarify was a random pic from the web

My point is if we forget who he is,or if someone doesn't recognize him, what would you think of his Patek in such outfit

valueprop

17/12/19
IMHO biggest tells are obvious misalignments, eg way crooked date, if someone asks to see the watch. Otherwise, I'd agree. For most people that you know, a fancy watch on a shabby person is perhaps possible, but says more about their misguided values than anything else. When I see someone who probably makes <$100k with a Rolex I think that they are too concerned with impressing people and not concerned enough with actually living to the maximum for their earning potential. I know a medium wage hospital worker that has several very nice gens and lives otherwise very humbly and feel sorry for them for believing the marketing hype. It's worth considering for the folks in the forum what the people around you who tactfully decline commenting on your watches actually think about your 15 Rolex's. And for folks looking to get into it that are in that position, in my opinion it's not a good look.

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
Biggest tells depend on the model. Here is a general list of common tell signs:
​​​​​​
As for the person wearing the watch, well, you would be surprised at how many flip-flop wearing, invisible millionaires in HK who wears gen rolex :p

+1
In my part of the world, I've seen so many Indonesian couples; the lady will invariably be impeccably dressed with the fanciest Hermes gear, while the husband is almost always a slob in some sloppy t-shirt and flip flops but wearing a gen $200k watch.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
+1
In my part of the world, I've seen so many Indonesian couples; the lady will invariably be impeccably dressed with the fanciest Hermes gear, while the husband is almost always a slob in some sloppy t-shirt and flip flops but wearing a gen $200k watch.

Who are these people? Government officials who loot the country?

Reactions: Katarsis

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
Who are these people? Government officials who loot the country?

Nah just incredibly successful folks in what they do, and of course the odd crook. It's hard to comprehend the level of wealth in Asia if you don't live here. We have the most expensive cars prices on the planet but there are more fancy cars here than your average western country. Anyway we're getting off topic :)